• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stan currently have a lot to answer for...

For instance, why was the 4K remastered version of Stop Making Sense suddenly removed only a couple of days after it was added to the service on September 1?

Angry-Ace-Ventura.gif

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)

DateDescriptionNetworkTotal TV National
Average Audience
Total TV National
Reach
BVOD National
Average Audience
6/07/2024TEST RUGBY: 2024 WALLABIES V WALES -MATCHNine519,0001,380,00040,000
13/07/2024TEST RUGBY: 2024 WALLABIES V WALES 2ND -MATCHNine467,0001,326,00038,000
20/07/2024TEST RUGBY: 2024 WALLABIES V GEORGIANine314,0001,004,00019,000
17/08/2024THE RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP 2024 -WALLABIES V RSA -G2 -MATCHNine288,000803,00029,000
21/09/2024BLEDISLOE CUP 2024 -GAME 1Nine475,0001,172,00048,000

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Afternoon rugby, great for crowds, never good for ratings
They also picked it on a Saturday in the middle of school sport (particularly rugby season) and also having some clubs play that day.

Better scheduling for an afternoon test is needed to reap the rewards of benefiting crowds and also ratings.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’d say RA got told that was the day they were playing and decided not to go head to head with the NRL and AFL finals. All school and club rugby was done in Sydney, I think it was a pretty good call and the crowd vindicated it.
Channel nine paid a lot of money for there not to be a clash.

We shouldn't make the mistake of thinking there would necessarily be a broadcaster willing to pay more for a sat primetime spot when it's up against another big final.

Last edited:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Channel nine paid a lot of money for there not to be a clash.

We shouldn't make the mistake of thinking there would necessarily be a broadcaster willing to pay more for a sat primetime spot when it's up against another big final.
You were quick, I deleted my post almost straight away as I realised Ignoto was referring to the afternoon game v SA. Anyway, I was going to reframe it pointing out the above, but also that the game v SA was a bit of an anomaly and scheduled to avoid a clash with a fairly intense program at the Olympics that same night. I think they did a pretty good job with both games, all things considered.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
FTA ratings barely matter anymore anyway. Nine show the game on FTA because a) they have to, and b) to drive subs to Stan, c) rugby advertising is still a very valuable demographic

We have no idea how many are watching on Stan, so we are missing a huge element of the conversation.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
They also picked it on a Saturday in the middle of school sport (particularly rugby season) and also having some clubs play that day.

Better scheduling for an afternoon test is needed to reap the rewards of benefiting crowds and also ratings.
We'd need to be playing outside of the NRL and AFL seasons for this happen on a Saturday arvo