• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hope the Matildas improve and keep being as popular as they are, it will be interesting if they have some below average games, particularly if they string together a few 0-0 draws in prime time how the ratings will be impacted.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I hope the Matildas improve and keep being as popular as they are, it will be interesting if they have some below average games, particularly if they string together a few 0-0 draws in prime time how the ratings will be impacted.
Say for example, climbing off the canvas to come from behind and just get over the 64th ranked team in the world and then have the media carry on like they just landed a World Cup semi final berth.....oh wait....

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah I love the Tilies hype but they aren't that great. They were pretty poor at the Olympics. I think that they still attract such attention even though they aren't the best in the world is a good thing.

Australians are truly terrible fair weather fans. Some of the worst.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I like their buzz because anything to keep young women in sport the better. They quit it too soon and this might help drive some kids to play a few more years of anything.

They hit the right time media wise and the big focus on female sport with a bit of WC run even though they lost as many games as they won. What would Rugby do for that kind of positive media spin.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I like their buzz because anything to keep young women in sport the better. They quit it too soon and this might help drive some kids to play a few more years of anything.

They hit the right time media wise and the big focus on female sport with a bit of WC run even though they lost as many games as they won. What would Rugby do for that kind of positive media spin.
I have kids at the right age to be influenced by this. It's been incredible to watch

There are more girls signed up to the soccer club than boys now, and it's flowing over into cricket as well off the back of the good work that sport has done. AFL getting a bit of a bump in a non-traditional area

Unfortunately both rugby codes are shrinking across the board without the same growth in girls in our area at least

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I love the Tilies hype but they aren't that great. They were pretty poor at the Olympics. I think that they still attract such attention even though they aren't the best in the world is a good thing.

Australians are truly terrible fair weather fans. Some of the worst.
I just think we're so spoiled for choice.

Sport is about narrative, and for the last 18 months the Matildas has been compelling because they've played games that have mattered. It doesn't get more important than a World Cup on home soil, and then an Olympics. No sport can match that.

Now it might be a bit of a comedown as they go into an Asian Cup, but they've got enough goodwill from the above run that it will last at least a year or two.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
I just think we're so spoiled for choice.

Sport is about narrative, and for the last 18 months the Matildas has been compelling because they've played games that have mattered. It doesn't get more important than a World Cup on home soil, and then an Olympics. No sport can match that.

Now it might be a bit of a comedown as they go into an Asian Cup, but they've got enough goodwill from the above run that it will last at least a year or two.
I think you are right I also can't see them holding on to there current position with lessor games.

Having said that the current CEO of FA is a very clever and capable bloke. He has built up their nation sides in the market place and connected well with government.

He plans to establish Soccer as the nations favourite national teams. Big call but even if he falls he will challenge rugby for sponsors and media.

No reason to panic, but we should react