• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Looking at the reports of potential NZ/SA tour deal on the Australian Rugby /RA thread. Seems pretty relevant to the next broadcast rights deal.

Essentially it would be a reduction of TRC from three home games / four at a decent time slot to one to two home games with two to three at a decent time slot depending on the year. Thats out of a total of eight most years (inbound NH tour, TRC, Bled 3). There also isn't a TRC competition agreement post 2025.

Ability to supplement with tests against sides from the north will be blocked by international release windows. We can make up the games from our pick of Argentina, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Indonesia, USA, Canada or the balance of South American and Pacific nations based on WR (World Rugby) Reg 9.

This lines up with a likely reduction in Super Rugby content of at least 11 games, all involving local sides.

How do you negotiate TV rights when you don't know what you are selling?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
If a commentator confesses to not knowing the laws of the game, it should result in an instant season ban.

It's a shame, I quite look Hoops, but the fact that he doesn't know DuPont's law is ridiculous. (In my world) There is no mitigation available for this offense (the commentator not knowing the laws). Off you go

Last edited:

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
If a commentator confesses to not knowing the laws of the game, it should result in an instant season ban.

It's a shame, I quite look Hoops, but the fact that he doesn't know DuPont's law is ridiculous. There is no mitigation available for this offense. Off you go?
Whats the context here?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
When T
Whats the context here?
When Gordon was penalized for not retreating in this Argentina test match, Hooper told us he didn't know what the current law was.

Re-reading I was not very clear with message above so have edited it

Last edited:

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty signficant news on the broadcast front; Nine CEO Mike Sneesby has stood down from his role after 12 months of pretty strong criticism.

Why is it relevant? Mike Sneesby was the boss of Stan and pivotal in the establishment of Stan Sport and signing up Rugby as a foundation content provider before promotion to CEO of Nine.

This photo below was taken at the time the broadcast agreement between Nine and RA was signed: you have Hugh Marks(Nine CEO), Rob Clarke(RA CEO) and Mike Sneesby (Stan CEO) all of whom have moved on now.

Nine boss Hugh Marks, Rugby Australia CEO Rob Clarke and Stan chief Mike Sneesby announce rugby's new broadcast deal on Monday.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Pretty signficant news on the broadcast front; Nine CEO Mike Sneesby has stood down from his role after 12 months of pretty strong criticism.

Why is it relevant? Mike Sneesby was the boss of Stan and pivotal in the establishment of Stan Sport and signing up Rugby as a foundation content provider before promotion to CEO of Nine.

This photo below was taken at the time the broadcast agreement between Nine and RA was signed: you have Hugh Marks(Nine CEO), Rob Clarke(RA CEO) and Mike Sneesby (Stan CEO) all of whom have moved on now.

Nine boss Hugh Marks, Rugby Australia CEO Rob Clarke and Stan chief Mike Sneesby announce rugby's new broadcast deal on Monday.'s new broadcast deal on Monday.
Possibly I'm misunderstanding your inference, but it'd be a pretty big call from Stan to pull out of sport imo.

Obviously I'm not sure of the numbers, but I can't imagine they're losing money on it - particularly after the Olympics. Given what's going on with Foxtel at the moment, you'd think Stan would be looking for opportunities to improve their sports offerings, not decrease them.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Possibly I'm misunderstanding your inference, but it'd be a pretty big call from Stan to pull out of sport imo.

Obviously I'm not sure of the numbers, but I can't imagine they're losing money on it - particularly after the Olympics. Given what's going on with Foxtel at the moment, you'd think Stan would be looking for opportunities to improve their sports offerings, not decrease them.

Not so much inference, just highlighting a significant shift in the political influence within Nine itself, which may impact the strategic direction of the company. Stan & Stan Sport essentially catapulted Mke Sneesby into the Nine CEO role, so he might have been a bit more protective/invested in ensuring it succeeds, whereas any new CEO could be open to a strategic shift in direction, noting the SVOD space is evolving so quickly, and Stans growth has plateaued.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Get fucked Binge lmao.

The YouTube premium dropoff is interesting. If that's replicated elsewhere you can see why Google is looking to make AdBlockers formally against TOS for their Chrome suite.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not so much inference, just highlighting a significant shift in the political influence within Nine itself, which may impact the strategic direction of the company. Stan & Stan Sport essentially catapulted Mke Sneesby into the Nine CEO role, so he might have been a bit more protective/invested in ensuring it succeeds, whereas any new CEO could be open to a strategic shift in direction, noting the SVOD space is evolving so quickly, and Stans growth has plateaued.
Oddly enough that plateau may also help us, if it pushes Stan to offer a cheaper, ad supported subscription, the way a few others have been. It would (hopefully) get more subscribers with access to our games and should increase the value of 'event tv' on the platform. Not sure if that's more or less likely with Sneesby moving on though.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Get fucked Binge lmao.

The YouTube premium dropoff is interesting. If that's replicated elsewhere you can see why Google is looking to make AdBlockers formally against TOS for their Chrome suite.
Where did that graphic go? I came back to comment about Jeff Bezos needing to focus on business rather than flying spaceships around, but it's gone now. @Wilson the graphic showed that Stan is one of the few streaming platforms exhibiting positive growth over the last year, along with Kayo, Paramount+ and I think AppleTV. Amazon Prime, Netflix and Binge were the big losers.

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
It was only last year Stan was reporting growth: https://www.adnews.com.au/news/stan-in-profit-with-2-2-million-paying-users

And they seem to be one of the fastest growing capturing the most new subs.

1726111091481.png

(this is share of new subs, not total subs - which is why netflix is so low despite being no1. for marketshare)

That doesn't include olympic data or break out Stan Sport - but they reported +50% subscribers to ad news media during the games. Can't see sport leaving the table honestly

Last edited:

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Our next deal is most likely going to involve us re-signing with 9/Stan I feel - even with a bit of change at the adult table. I genuinely don't see many other options for us that either we would want or want us.

Completely agree @Wilson re ad-supported models - although Kayo have that and still reckon $35/m is a good deal...
Kayo is a bit different to Stan in that respect though - they're (and were already) entirely sport and we are relatively small fry there, where as Stan shifting into ad-supported would potentially see sport become a greater focus of their business model.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just to give a bit of context - Nine reported this to June 2024
Stan revenue, with paying subscribers at 2.3 million, was up 5% to $447.7 million

The Olympics does sound like it was a bit of a game-changer, with 50% increase in Stan Sports subscribers, but I don't think we have ever seen how many Stan Sports subscribers there are

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
Martin Kugeler, Stan’s chief executive officer, said: “Australia’s response to our groundbreaking Olympic viewing experience has exceeded all our expectations. With the most comprehensive offering in Australia’s Olympic history, we achieved a record breaking Stan Sport subscriber growth of over 50% – surpassing forecasts, making the Olympics a great success for Stan.

Considering the cowards don't seperate out their Stan only vs Stan Sport numbers - this could be +50% on fuck all.

but most likely they're doing ok...