• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

JRugby2

Sydney Middleton (9)
you're just relying on every host broadcaster and every stadium that hosts professional rugby in the world having access to the same level of technology and expertise to facilitate this

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
True remember the A-League GF where the VAR froze and they allowed the offside goal as the linesmen had been instructed to keep their flags down and review it if it was close

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
What, all referees to be supplied with smart watches now? What happens when the wi-fi drops out?
WiFi technology isn't the only wireless protocol.
Professional rugby is a $billion industry; surely the cost of a watch that synchronized with the sideline isn't that prohibitive
Matchday test rugby already features far more costly wireless performance monitoring and analytical tools for the players.
you're just relying on every host broadcaster and every stadium that hosts professional rugby in the world having access to the same level of technology and expertise to facilitate this
World Rugby should have, if they don't already, minimum standards on the quality of service imposed on the host nation for tiered for matches and competitions. By today's standards, this is rather rudimentary stuff that can be delivered in a box and plugged in.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Referees just need to be clear verbally when the shot clock starts - most (but not all) will call "shot called" or something similar when the captain decides. Surely that should be enough for a sideline timekeeper to start the process. The ref just needs to clamp down on any time-wasting before the decision.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I could have sworn I have seen the shot clock this season. Was it used at all in Super Rugby? Or would it have been from watching World Rugby Sevens?
It was definitely used in some Super Rugby games.

It was in use for a Reds v Chiefs game where McKenzie just stood still waiting for the clock to run down before kicking a goal.

I recall posting in the referee decision thread about it being time wasting, I cannot recall if it was a normal game or a final, the clock was on the score board.

JRugby2

Sydney Middleton (9)
Will Stan remain as the home of rugby well in to the future?
Broadcast negs on at the moment. Remains to be seen. Interesting to read that Ch7 are putting their hat in the ring. Unsure what that offering would look like though with no paywalled streaming service.

Might be a little hybrid deal like with the Cricket (7 + Fox/Kayo)

Last edited:

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Broadcast negs on at the moment. Remains to be seen. Interesting to read that Ch7 are putting their hat in the ring. Unsure what that offering would look like though with no paywalled streaming service.

Might be a little hybrid deal like with the Cricket (7 + Fox/Kayo)
I am the most "untechy" person on the planet but would have thought adding a pay button on their current free streaming would not be too hard

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I am the most "untechy" person on the planet but would have thought adding a pay button on their current free streaming would not be too hard

Or maybe unlike Cricket which demands fairly big money they see Rugby as relatively cheap comparatively (which it is) and might like the idea of broadcasting it across their current FTA platforms. A bloke can live in hope.