• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As the other Shute Shield official points out most if not all clubs are hard up running as they currently do let alone becoming part of some kind of national club competition. And truth be told while yes, while they do have core supporters, no club boasts enough to seriously suggest that a club competition would be viable. The Tahs averaged over 12k this season. If you add everyone that attends the Shute Shield on a weekly basis I'd wager it wouldn't reach the Tahs average.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

1 or 2 years of a set time limit for kicks with no shot clocks. New Zealand get penalized and 3 days later they're in place. Glad they're finally putting them in, but I wish there was a bit more respect for the fans in these things, there's no reason it should've taken this long. Hopefully it comes in here quickly now too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
RA have started negotiation on the new broadcast deal... Also 7 are showing some interest, particularly around the world cup, after the success they saw with the Matildas.
Not surprising 7 is interested with 9 getting the next few Olympics.

I'm really hoping rugby can get some air time ad wise through the Olympics coming up. Could be the biggest uptick for Stan Sport since it's creation.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Sadly the SS is a shadow of its former self. With key heartland areas we had almost gone today.
Really? The comp as it is right now is open and broad. We aren't seeing Sydney Uni lap second place in every grade.

Current 1st grade top 4 is Warringah, Easts, Gordon, Manly. Colts: Easts, Gordon, Uni, Randwick

Heartlands are doing well besides Eastwood but it was expected with Ben Batger going to Easts and taking a number of 1st grader with him and that region having huge a shift in demographic hence their future relocation to the Hills area.

Western Sydney is still the area we let down the most.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Its just like that fucken TJ Perenara thing where he lobbed the ball forward in open play and the ref stopped the entire game to give the ball back to him. I will fight anyone who suggests they aren't a protected species.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Its just like that fucken TJ Perenara thing where he lobbed the ball forward in open play and the ref stopped the entire game to give the ball back to him. I will fight anyone who suggests they aren't a protected species.
Considering it took 60 years for referees to finally the balls to send an AB player off when Money Bill got sent says it all.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
We expected too much from the Emus and I hope they can build back through subbies and create a presence. Blue Mountains have been killing it in that comp. Maybe a future lies betwen between the two of them and taking in the entire region.

The form of West Harbour and the Two Blues is more of a worry. That Inner West to Parra region is HUGE and always produced talent.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
"There will be a shot clock shown on the stadium big screen and broadcast for this weekend's Test match in Auckland," New Zealand Rugby said in a statement.

I am sure our broadcasts were meant to have the shot clock for this season, for some reason it was not possible last season.

I wish Stan would add it to our games too

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Shot clock in stadium confirmed, hopefully on the broadcast to:

I vaguely remember the initial resistance/delay was coming from NZ (possibly sky specifically), so hopefully with them getting out of the way we can now move quick here too. Certainly I can't see Stan resisting or dragging their feet on this, they generally pretty agile and fast moving as far as rugby broadcast innovation is concerned.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
it’s sad that this is considered even slightly innovative, professional rugby is a $billion industry and this is just basic professionalism..

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I only mentioned innovative in the sense that stan are seen as that so I can't see any reason they wouldn't or couldn't move quickly on this now.

Why it's taken so long I don't really know, but I was under the impression there was some resistance from New Zealand that had been holding things up. Clearly that's gone now.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'm sure I heard an interview, I think Brett McKay's Roar podcast 1-2 years ago, of some bigwig talking about the Super Rugby Commission, and that improving the consistency of broadcasts across the two countries was one of their priorities. Shot clocks both on scoreboards and the broadcast were one of the examples of "quick wins" that could be sorted out, and would be in place for Super Rugby 2024. Clearly not, and we don't hear much about that Super Rugby commission any more.

I think shot clocks were shown at Waratahs games this year? Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, given the confusion that cost the Crusaders their game in Sydney. But obviously it's no innovation, Sevens have been running them for years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I could have sworn I have seen the shot clock this season. Was it used at all in Super Rugby? Or would it have been from watching World Rugby Sevens?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I only mentioned innovative in the sense that stan are seen as that so I can't see any reason they wouldn't or couldn't move quickly on this now.

It's not really a Stan issue though is it?

They don't run gameday and while it would be handy for people watching at home it doesn't help prevent it not happening in a crucial situation.