• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
FMD

The RL women's game came third in Thursday nights ratings.
By total reach yes, but that doesn't tell the full story - the average is pretty poor

1721963238184.png

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
And also - what does it matter? FWIW; live sport tends to do very well against GenEnt content regularly anyway and it wasn't competing with anything particularly exciting in a primetime spot where you see TV audiences typically peak for the day

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
a couple of gold medals by our men’s and women’s 7s will change the landscape about the international pedigree of the jilaroos and matilidas

don’t think there’s anything the wallabies can do to overtake the kangaroos as Australia’s preferred national team

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
a couple of gold medals by our men’s and women’s 7s will change the landscape about the international pedigree of the jilaroos and matilidas

don’t think there’s anything the wallabies can do to overtake the kangaroos as Australia’s preferred national team
Have you seen the NRLW? It is just full of 7s discards which sucks for the Wallaroos but we should genuinely be utalising for 7s talent.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)

I think this is theoretically true, but runs into the reality that the gold medal matches are going to be in the middle of the night, and for the men especially, will be on before anyone really sees that the games have started.

How many people remember the hokeyroos were in a penalty shoot-out for a gold medal at the last Olympics? It didn't really change their profile.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think this is theoretically true, but runs into the reality that the gold medal matches are going to be in the middle of the night, and for the men especially, will be on before anyone really sees that the games have started.

How many people remember the hokeyroos were in a penalty shoot-out for a gold medal at the last Olympics? It didn't really change their profile.
The advantage the men will have there is I think it'll be pretty close to the first shot at a medal for Australia at the Olympics (there might one or two cycling medals before it). That'll mean they dominate the papers and press a bit the next day of they win, which should also help build interest for the women.

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
The advantage the men will have there is I think it'll be pretty close to the first shot at a medal for Australia at the Olympics (there might one or two cycling medals before it). That'll mean they dominate the papers and press a bit the next day of they win, which should also help build interest for the women.
Yeah we'll get a bit of attention for the olympics but sadly I think Strewth is right. 7s as a series is too infrequent and global to garner and big interest outside of the rusted on rugby fans.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Yeah we'll get a bit of attention for the olympics but sadly I think Strewth is right. 7s as a series is too infrequent and global to garner and big interest outside of the rusted on rugby fans.

Rugby Australia should be running a national 7s competition that falls outside of the super rugby season, club rugby season etc

I know 15s & 7s are entirely different games but with similar skillsets but you could potentially get eyes on tv sets if the Reds and Waratahs are playing each other in a 7s tourney and it’s someone like Tim Ryan on one wing trying to keep Dylan Pietsch in check because both players were not good enough for end of season wallabies tour but still good enough to provide super rugby style 7s content for Stan so RA can have a 247/365 rugby calander

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The thing that gave me the shits when I was watching the Ch 9 news report this morning, referring to the Argentina game the sports anchor (whatever his name is) made mention of 'the Roosters' Mark Nawaqanatawase'. I mean he hasn't even been to a training run for them yet, they could at least respect that he's currently still a rugby player.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think sevens even garners much interest amongst rusted-on rugby fans.

It really is a niche sport
It is easy to miss, I am only interested in watching Australia, so over the whole competition I only watch about an hour of sport over the three days it is on.

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rugby Australia should be running a national 7s competition that falls outside of the super rugby season, club rugby season etc

I know 15s & 7s are entirely different games but with similar skillsets but you could potentially get eyes on tv sets if the Reds and Waratahs are playing each other in a 7s tourney and it’s someone like Tim Ryan on one wing trying to keep Dylan Pietsch in check because both players were not good enough for end of season wallabies tour but still good enough to provide super rugby style 7s content for Stan so RA can have a 247/365 rugby calander
I feel if there was value in it we would already be doing it. As far as I am aware - only England has a semi-pro national 7s program but I don't know how connected it is to the RFU. Purely from an entertainment perspective I don't see it working. The short form version it seems people don't invest in the teams the same way they do for long-form sport.

In Aus there used to be tournaments like these like the Central Coast 7s and Hottest 7s - Darwin (still running but is pretty much for local teams only now) that were considered to be some of the best tournaments outside of the WS7s but they were incredibly expensive to run and didn't receive support from the National or State programs. Central Coast fell over when the organiser decided to step back and COVID put the final nail in Darwin.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I feel if there was value in it we would already be doing it. As far as I am aware - only England has a semi-pro national 7s program but I don't know how connected it is to the RFU. Purely from an entertainment perspective I don't see it working. The short form version it seems people don't invest in the teams the same way they do for long-form sport.

In Aus there used to be tournaments like these like the Central Coast 7s and Hottest 7s - Darwin (still running but is pretty much for local teams only now) that were considered to be some of the best tournaments outside of the WS7s but they were incredibly expensive to run and didn't receive support from the National or State programs. Central Coast fell over when the organiser decided to step back and COVID put the final nail in Darwin.
I'm sure I saw the Kiama 7's are still going. I haven't been for a while due to other commitments, so not sure how many teams still attend.

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm sure I saw the Kiama 7's are still going. I haven't been for a while due to other commitments, so not sure how many teams still attend.
Kiama still going strong I believe. Arguably the pinnacle for amateur 7s in Aus currently but I think it's only attended by NSW based clubs (could be wrong, can't find a team list)

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I must admit I don't understand the economics of the SVNS series at all. Is the whole pro level of the game in Australia funded by the various Olympic grants?

What about the rest of the world?

There doesn't seem to be any other way it's funded?

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I have no idea how accurate any of this is but it's the first result of a google search: https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/19dgqfe
Whoever posted that question must be very smart and good looking.

The answer was basically WR (World Rugby) pay the SVNS teams travelling expenses, and that's pretty much it. There doesn't even seem to be any money for the players/unions out of hosting an event, no sponsorship and no TV money

So is all of the rest coming out of Olympic funding and RA revenue?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Whoever posted that question must be very smart and good looking.

The answer was basically WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) pay the SVNS teams travelling expenses, and that's pretty much it. There doesn't even seem to be any money for the players/unions out of hosting an event, no sponsorship and no TV money

So is all of the rest coming out of Olympic funding and RA revenue?
That was my understanding for the GB program, none of the Unions were interesting in stumping money to run the combined program so the only revenue is Sponsors + Olympic government investment + WR (World Rugby) Covering Flight and Accom.

If they were making money outside of that I don't know where it's going.