• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think sevens even garners much interest amongst rusted-on rugby fans.

It really is a niche sport
It wouldn't work. Nobody would care after a couple of rounds.

Interest spikes at the Comm Games and Olympics then the home event.

I'm interested to see if the Olympic years may be when the Women's game will peak in a cycle. Why wouldn't they go play League since they want the entire comp to go fully professional. If your'e good enough to make rep games then it's more on top. it's sad to see the Wallaroos at times and the players left seem to be the ones not wanted by NRLW teams. It seemed prior to RIO the side was built off a lot of players with touch backgrounds which lends itself perfectly to 7s and the NRLW didn't exist at the time. Will we keep getting our hands on them with competition now and more jobs on offer?

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
Whoever posted that question must be very smart and good looking.

The answer was basically WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) pay the SVNS teams travelling expenses, and that's pretty much it. There doesn't even seem to be any money for the players/unions out of hosting an event, no sponsorship and no TV money

So is all of the rest coming out of Olympic funding and RA revenue?
ahahahahahaha fuck.

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
It wouldn't work. Nobody would care after a couple of rounds.

Interest spikes at the Comm Games and Olympics then the home event.

I'm interested to see if the Olympic years may be when the Women's game will peak in a cycle. Why wouldn't they go play League since they want the entire comp to go fully professional. If your'e good enough to make rep games then it's more on top. it's sad to see the Wallaroos at times and the players left seem to be the ones not wanted by NRLW teams. It seemed prior to RIO the side was built off a lot of players with touch backgrounds which lends itself perfectly to 7s and the NRLW didn't exist at the time. Will we keep getting our hands on them with competition now and more jobs on offer?
Tim Walsh recently said on KOKO that the womens 7s team get a decent packet so probably not worth it for them.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I have heard with sponsorships that Caslick is in the vicinity of $600k p.a. or at least was sitting around that for the last 5 or so years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have heard with sponsorships that Caslick is in the vicinity of $600k p.a. or at least was sitting around that for the last 5 or so years.

This is certainly a distinct advantage in rugby. Caslick and now Maddison Levi are faces of the sport and very marketable and have international exposure.

That's obviously the exception though. I'd assume most of the squad would have little additional income (from rugby) outside of their RA salary.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Channel 9 have shelved the boks match on Saturday afternoon to 9GO. No live Olympic events then. Meanwhile tonight the league club game in front of a man and his dog gets the main channel when there's live Olympic events(many with Aussies in them)..infact even in Victoria the league moved the Olympics off the main channel tonight.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Channel 9 have shelved the boks match on Saturday afternoon to 9GO. No live Olympic events then. Meanwhile tonight the league club game in front of a man and his dog gets the main channel when there's live Olympic events(many with Aussies in them)..infact even in Victoria the league moved the Olympics off the main channel tonight.
Marathon is on Sat arvo isn't it?

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Wallabies may have won a few and there's a better vibe around them but it's still a 2nd tier sport in the eyes of most of the public.

Wonder if advertisers have an influence here. Pay more to be on 9 and 9Gem especially during the Olympics even if replays. A lot of people arent up all night watching so this is as good as live to them.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Wonder if advertisers have an influence here. Pay more to be on 9 and 9Gem especially during the Olympics even if replays. A lot of people arent up all night watching so this is as good as live to them.
100% it does.. Nine knew the games would break even before the games started because of the value of the advertisement packages sold, which would have been conditional on KPIs.

Reportedly the Paris Olympics are worth more then $135million in advertising value to Nine.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The fact is there's only a handful of programs that will break the almost 24hr Olympic coverage on a major network's main channel...

Morning show (Sunrise/Today), morning news, 6pm news, and then depending on the market AFL/NRL.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Massive news

That is indeed massive. The Fox Sports - News Corp axis has been so successful for NRL and AFL, with each feeding content into the other.

Could they afford to break up the various parts of Foxtel to sell off? Would anyone be interested in buying the whole thing, a relic of pre-Netflix cable TV times?

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah this is shit house. With no live events we're gonna have a 3 hour preview show to satisfy audience guarantees to advertisers that bought TARPs in "olympic programming"...

Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people will miss out on accidently watching the wallabies put 40+ on the boks.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
That is indeed massive. The Fox Sports - News Corp axis has been so successful for NRL and AFL, with each feeding content into the other.

Could they afford to break up the various parts of Foxtel to sell off? Would anyone be interested in buying the whole thing, a relic of pre-Netflix cable TV times?
I imagine the bulk of the value would be seen to be the existing content agreements - the NRL and AFL are signed until '27 and '31 respectively, and there would be a plethora of other redistribution deals with HBO, SkySports, etc.

Be interesting to see if anyone's willing to fork out the undoubtedly enormous cash

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)

Might be ignorant of me but hasn't it already been proven that breaking it up is probably the way forward? Kayo is successful, Binge isn't a bad platform with decent content and I know there are other ones as well such as lifestyle packages.

Someone may buy all of them to try an up-sell customers.

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)

I dare say whoever buys it will sunset the old school Foxtel boxes.

Go gently into the dark night, sweet prince...

1723158860897.png