• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Blues v Waratahs - Friday 15 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^ so the Lions are a "shit South African team" now?

I get that your guys get screwed travel-wise but thems the breaks when you're located roughly half way between Straya's East coast & Sethfricka's West so it's hardly the Bloos' fault now is it?

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
with only problem being where they will try and put SBW in backline, because that Frances at 12 surely is helping the backline.

a real puzzler alright. Conventional wisdom would have Piers the pom riding the pine with SBW and Moala in midfield..... however I've seen YEARS of Blues-on-paper season starting lineups that were expected to carve unholy murder thru the comp...... and then they show up, bark their shins on the goalposts, spill their drinks, drop their strides, lose all their games and go home crying like little babies.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I get that your guys get screwed travel-wise but thems the breaks when you're located roughly half way between Straya's East coast & Sethfricka's West so it's hardly the Bloos' fault now is it?

Exactly. It's not Auckland's, Sydney's, Wellington's, Brisbane's or Cape Town's fault that no one wants to be friends with Perth.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Really?! They will likely finish 2nd in the conference - hard is being a Reds, Rebels or Farce fan

Well I would think that with the backline the Tahs had (and the forwards) it has been a disappointing season

To put a positive spin on it from a Reds, Force and Rebels perspective the Tahs are just the same as the others - sure a few points difference BUT they won't make the finals

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
^^^^^^^^^ so the Lions are a "shit South African team" now?

Yeh i think the south African teams will. Get smashed in the finals.
Have u seen the blues travel this year? They hardly even traveled

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Blues travel
Aukland
Christchurch
Aukland
Brisbane
Aukland
Hamilton
Aukland
Aukland
Port Elizabeth
J berg
Perth
Aukland
Wellington
Aukland
Aukland

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Force
Perth
Brisbane
Perth
P north
Hamilton
Dunedin
Perth
Perth
Perth
Tokyo
Perth
Melbourne
Bloemfontein
Perth
Canberra

Tahs
Sydney
Canberra
Sydney
Brisbane
Sydney
Sydney
Cape town
Sydney
Sydney
Perth
Christchurch
Sydney
Tokyo
Sydney
Aukland

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Exactly. It's not Auckland's, Sydney's, Wellington's, Brisbane's or Cape Town's fault that no one wants to be friends with Perth.
No But common sence would make sure we have at least 8 home Games every year

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Why should a team be rewarded with more home games for being based in the middle of nowhere?

EDIT: And even if we follow this "common sense" logic through, then surely the Japanese and Argentinian teams would be playing almost all of their matches at home? So, with three remote teams playing most of their matches at home, other teams are going to have to travel more and thus lose out on revenue due to A) the lack of home games; and B) the increased travel costs.

Even by SAANZAR standards, that's stupid.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
In terms of distance traveled this season, the Force don't have it that bad. They are, more or less, on par with the Bulls and Stormers, with the Rebels not far behind.

CbhokxbWwAAesTJ.jpg:large

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well I would think that with the backline the Tahs had (and the forwards) it has been a disappointing season

To put a positive spin on it from a Reds, Force and Rebels perspective the Tahs are just the same as the others - sure a few points difference BUT they won't make the finals

Very disappointing. Glimpses of some very good footy in the latter half of the season, and even last night, but ultimately far too inconsistent. The things that concerned me the most were the defensive shortcomings, which had previously been a forte, and the loss of attacking structure, particularly evidenced last night on several occasions. On Twitter, a Kiwi was bagging Phipps for being too slow, but when you looked, he was standing there, looking side to side, with absolutely no ball runners lining up anywhere amongst the pigs. Not to mention the lack of patience with some backline plays when a try was surely a >50% likelihood. Beale has been sorely missed, and might have been the difference in getting into the finals, IMO.
Upsides? Ryan seems to be getting better and better at LHP which is good, Robertson is a real prospect, Dempsey, Holloway also good, Folau at 13 is growing on me a bit, especially with Kellaway looking well-suited at this level. I think Gibson is going OK, but just, and they really need to kick on with the good aspects next year. With the squad they had, Tahs should be in the play-offs, but they are deservedly not.

G

galumay

Well this Tah's fan isnt disappointed, i think the transition to the new coach has gone quite well, they were finals contenders right up until the final siren last night - Reds, Force & Rebels were all no hope and had awful seasons. I suppose rebels fans can take some heart from their best season to date.

I really dont know why my pointing out to another Tahs supporter that it wasnt hard being a Tah's fan compared to being a fan of the 3 cellar dwellers in the aus conference caused such a reaction.

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
The draw was ridiculous. I just looked up the blues games this year. They basicly could of caught a bus to 90 percent of their games and then went on a little tour to play 2 shit south African teams and the force before returning home for another 3 games.

We'll trade those 'bus trips' playing the best teams in the comp to play against the Reds or Rebels or Force.

Regardless of how far we had to travel to play them, playing the Chiefs/Hurricanes/Crusaders/Highlanders is tougher proposition to playing a lot of other teams in the other conferences. We got to play the 4 best teams in the comp twice.

If you look at the actual strength of the opposition each team faced this season, there is an argument that the Blues had the hardest draw in 2016.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Upsides? Ryan seems to be getting better and better at LHP which is good, Robertson is a real prospect, Dempsey, Holloway also good, Folau at 13 is growing on me a bit, especially with Kellaway looking well-suited at this level. I think Gibson is going OK, but just, and they really need to kick on with the good aspects next year. With the squad they had, Tahs should be in the play-offs, but they are deservedly not.

Robertson for Tahs rookie of 2016 for mine.

You'd like to think that if the Tahs can strengthen their starting 4 and 5 that they'd have a pretty good pack in 2017. I'm not sure where they stand with a 12 (I like Horne but maybe wing is his best position) but there is certainly the makings of a finals contending side.

I really dont know why my pointing out to another Tahs supporter that it wasnt hard being a Tah's fan compared to being a fan of the 3 cellar dwellers in the aus conference caused such a reaction.
I think your opinion is valid, just not one I (and others, it seems) can share at the moment. My expectations are mainly based on the side performing the whole range of "basic rugby" skills at a Super Rugby level for the whole match, each and every match. If they can do that, they will be genuine contenders. Too often it's almost as though they are players who have been roped in for a match down the park.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

You'd like to think that if the Tahs can strengthen their starting 4 and 5 that they'd have a pretty good pack in 2017. I'm not sure where they stand with a 12 (I like Horne but maybe wing is his best position) but there is certainly the makings of a finals contending side.

Hard to argue with that, so I won't! I like him, a lot.
I'm a fan of Rob Horne but the Tahs backline does not work at its best with him at 12 and no KB (Kurtley Beale) roving around. Horwitz had a massive opportunity to stake a claim but hasn't. If they're gonna play Folau at 13 they need someone with some guile at 12. I'm a bit stumped as to who.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think your opinion is valid, just not one I (and others, it seems) can share at the moment. My expectations are mainly based on the side performing the whole range of "basic rugby" skills at a Super Rugby level for the whole match, each and every match. If they can do that, they will be genuine contenders. Too often it's almost as though they are players who have been roped in for a match down the park.
I think with no Louisi the lock balance may improve, one in the "Skelton" mode is enough

Horne @ 12? I don't see a better option in the squad, if we can find an upgrade, great, but there are no "Beales" in the Shute Shield ready to be second playmaker in the Super rugby 2017

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

M

Moono75

Strawman. I didnt say anything about trophies or finals.

Well they have been a farce this season, if the boot fits wear it. I dont believe I gave a 'pass' to the Bush Donkeys and happy to take suggestions for the Reds, but nothing obvious comes to mind!
Go read your previous comments and you may comprehend.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
We'll trade those 'bus trips' playing the best teams in the comp to play against the Reds or Rebels or Force.

Regardless of how far we had to travel to play them, playing the Chiefs/Hurricanes/Crusaders/Highlanders is tougher proposition to playing a lot of other teams in the other conferences. We got to play the 4 best teams in the comp twice.

If you look at the actual strength of the opposition each team faced this season, there is an argument that the Blues had the hardest draw in 2016.

Shhh Bullrush, don't be putting in any sensible replies like that to Shiggins, just let him sit in the corner and feel victimised!!!

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hard to argue with that, so I won't! I like him, a lot.
I'm a fan of Rob Horne but the Tahs backline does not work at its best with him at 12 and no KB (Kurtley Beale) roving around. Horwitz had a massive opportunity to stake a claim but hasn't. If they're gonna play Folau at 13 they need someone with some guile at 12. I'm a bit stumped as to who.

you've got to think that 12 would have to be one of our marquees. unless we pull a swifty with quade.

for me 4,5 and 12 are our key signings next year.

that and this guy to be our new team sports psychologist and motivational speaker

ya jack.jpg

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Very disappointing. Glimpses of some very good footy in the latter half of the season, and even last night, but ultimately far too inconsistent. The things that concerned me the most were the defensive shortcomings, which had previously been a forte, and the loss of attacking structure, particularly evidenced last night on several occasions. On Twitter, a Kiwi was bagging Phipps for being too slow, but when you looked, he was standing there, looking side to side, with absolutely no ball runners lining up anywhere amongst the pigs. Not to mention the lack of patience with some backline plays when a try was surely a >50% likelihood. Beale has been sorely missed, and might have been the difference in getting into the finals, IMO.
The rot starts at 9 and 10 for tahs

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.