• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Blues v Waratahs - Friday 15 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
CnNsRuGVUAAbBA3.jpg:large

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Forecast to be wet and windy. Would have to tip the Blues as favourites in those conditions.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Blues: 15 Melani Nanai, 14 Matt Duffie, 13 Male Sa’u, 12 Piers Francis, 11 Tevita Li, 10 Ihaia West, 9 Bryn Hall, 8 Steven Luatua, 7 Kara Pryor, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Josh Bekhuis, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu, 3 Ofa Tu’ungafasi, 2 James Parsons (c), 1 Sam Prattley. Replacements: 16 Matt Moulds, 17 Nic Mayhew, 18 Sione Mafileo/Charlie Faumuina, 19 Scott Scrafton, 20 Blake Gibson, 21 Billy Guyton, 22 Matt Vaega/George Moala, 23 Lolagi Visinia

Same starting XV that rolled the Brumbies & possible off-the-bench returns for Faumuina & Moala. Doesn't look good for the 'tahs.........

Forecast to be wet and windy. Would have to tip the Blues as favourites in those conditions.

Dunno why, I'd have thought a wet & heavy track suits the 'tahs up-the-guts approach moreso than the Polynesian b-ball Paremoremo jail breaking Bloos.

Also it's Tuesday so whatever MetService are predicting may or may not have arrived/ passed through/ swung South-East & missed the place completely come Saturday. As they say, Auckland's weather is harder to pick than a not-very-good boxer's nose.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
"Dunno why, I'd have thought a wet & heavy track suits the 'tahs up-the-guts approach moreso than the Polynesian b-ball Paremoremo jail breaking Bloos."

Perhaps - but it surely hasn't escaped your attention that our teams have been somewhat lacking in both handling and kicking skills this season, both of which are important in the wet.

The Tahs in addition have an uneven set piece. Woeful lineout, even if their scrum has improved a bit.

I tend to think that of the Aussie sides, the Brumbies and Force are the only ones whose win potential improves on a wet track.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Doesn't matter even if the Tahs win with a BP - the season is over about 26 hours later after the Ponies trounce the Farce.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Doesn't matter even if the Tahs win with a BP - the season is over about 26 hours later after the Ponies trounce the Farce.
Yeah what wouldn't work against the blues will be a bonus point against the force with reality returning the following week

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Only way that is going to happen is with around 5 line-out to maul tries. No other way of the Brumbies scoring tries unfortunately.

Reactions: mst

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Maximum points either the Brumbies or Waratahs can get is 44. The four Kiwi teams are on 51, 50, 48 and 48 so no.

They had a chance to both make the finals until last week but they both botched it.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Only way that is going to happen is with around 5 line-out to maul tries. No other way of the Brumbies scoring tries unfortunately.

Brumbies backline fired okay against the Reds, at least in the last 20 minutes. They are okay against poor defence and the Force are similar to the Reds in that they tend to fall apart defensively in the last quarter. I expect the Brumbies backline will do okay and look better than they are.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies backline fired okay against the Reds, at least in the last 20 minutes. They are okay against poor defence and the Force are similar to the Reds in that they tend to fall apart defensively in the last quarter. I expect the Brumbies backline will do okay and look better than they are.

Firing okay against the Reds is nothing to be proud of ;)

Brumbies are certainly capable of lifting significantly though, they have the players to win against any opposition. Hopefully this is the week they wake-up and start playing to their potential.

Reactions: mst

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Well firing okay against the Reds is fine if your next opponent is the Force!

I had a bet on the Brumbies to win the championship from before Round 1, on the back of preseason and Cubelli's signing. I cashed it out for surprisingly good odds after the Blues game. Cost me $20, got almost $19 back on it.

So the bookies still seem to think the Brumbies are a chance. I don't - it was pretty clear to me after the Blues game that they can't match it with the Kiwi teams. They are going to finish in 4th and have a home quarter final against the number 2 Kiwi team. If by some chance they win that they are likely to have an away game in NZ or SA, unless there is more than one major upset in the quarters.

Pocock should be back for the finals though, right? That's a glimmer of hope for a team based on driving mauls from 5m lineouts.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

It's like battle of the pessimists. The worst performing loser wins because they are less of a loser!:confused:

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Current 7PM forecast is 10C with showers & a decent WSW breeze. Most of the really nasty stuff has gone through the midsection of the country with more on the way which could make things interesting in Christchurch tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.