• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Brumbies SF Fri June 14 2024

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
It was a good Brumbies performance against one of the strongest team in the competition. I mean, it could have been worse.

Now Joe has to strengthen this team with some weapons from other states

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I don't think anyone claimed they did.
No they lost because @zer0 and @Dismal Pillock snuck in the refs change room and ate my bribe... Dolman wanted some Australian Greasy Box Chicken and was obviously so hangry he forgot he was reffing a game..

But on a serious note some peanuts will never understand that like coaches and players , ref's can have stinkers... And he did just that I'm sure he'll watch it back and be disappointed.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
OK, so my summary of the match :

1. The poor kick off reception by the Brumbies early in the match sealed the result. It should be noted though that in the second half, the Brumbies also retained possession after a couple of their kick restarts too.

2. The Blues power game through pick and drives inside the attacking 22m was near unstoppable. This has been a feature of their game all year, not just against Aussie sides.

3. The officiating in the game was undeniably substandard. Unfortunately, for the Brumbies, the errors and oversights were mainly to the advantage of the Blues.

4. Despite the poor officiating, the Blues were the better and physically dominant side. They just didn't need the help, conscious or otherwise, that they received from the Referee, Touch Judges and TMO. A more even handed game by the officials would have given us a much more contestable and enjoyable game.

5. As much as I would like to see Noah Lolesio step up as the Wallaby No 10, this game also illustrated his somewhat limited capabilities in game management and consistently good decision making, eg, his hesitation and ultimately poor decision when faced with a clear run to the line in the second half but electing to put his winger in trouble with a poorly executed pass. Hard for me to say, but I'm quite sure Donaldson would have taken that opportunity with both hands.

6. Some good performances by the Brumbies, namely, Rob Valetini (again), Charlie Cale, Allan Ala'alatoa (best game in quite a while), Luke Reimer (playing a lot "bigger' these days), Len Ikitau (getting back to form) and Tom Wright. Blues had strong performers across the ground but outstanding were their front row, AJ Lam and Caleb Clarke.

7. I think Larkham was guilty of a couple of poor tactical moves; replacing Cale too early left the lineout a bit short; replacing Rhys van Nek too early left the scrum extremely vulnerable.

8. Brumbies still poor with penalty kicks for touch and exit kicks for touch, finding what looks like an average 20 - 25 metres. Blues otoh found good ground with their kicks, notably Plummer who on one occasion put a kick under pressure from his own goal line to the half way line. Seems Aussie sides can only dream of this kind of result.

9. Despite the result, Brumbies should still dominate Wallaby selections. All Aussie sides suffered big losses to the top NZ sides this year. Reds had a very inconsistent year and with most of their effective engine room taken by overseas players, should expect no more than a few in the 23. Rebels will probably get as many as the Reds but representation from the Force and Waratahs should be minimal. Maybe Rodda (who I think doesn't deserve a spot), White and Donaldson, but in the absence of Bell the Tahs probably should miss out altogether.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If players have a shocker they get criticised, they might get dropped. Why should refs be above critical assessment? It's a nonsense argument. I'm not talking about coaches abusing officials, or players doing so on the field, like the examples you cited above. If the referee director / assessor looks at that game and says "All good, no problem with any of that", then they're not taking the job seriously.
Fair enough Cyclo. so you were happy with Rassie giving Nic Berry a going over too. But anyway it's just as I said, I see game differently to a few and that's cool.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Fair enough Cyclo. so you were happy with Rassie giving Nic Berry a going over too. But anyway it's just as I said, I see game differently to a few and that's cool.
Being accused of bias compared to an inept performance isn’t really the same Dan. No one’s saying he was biased but missing two clear knock ons when the Brumbies were on attack, with 2 referees right there is actually hopeless. If he’s the 2nd best NZ ref you have significant depth issues

Reactions: mst

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

My god you are a pretentious git. Cyclo literally said:

I'm not talking about coaches abusing officials, or players doing so on the field, like the examples you cited above.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Read what Rassie did with Nic Berry, he just gave a detailed list of what he thought he did wrong, no abuse etc, just bad sportsmanship in my opinion. But knock yourself out mate :D :D

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
My god you are a pretentious git.
these match day threads seem to follow a similar pattern:

match plays out.
ref etc gets slagged
match finishes
Captain Knowitall enters thread.
Captain Knowitall deploys primary school level comprehension skills and misreads thread posts
Captain Knowitall defends ref/establishment/status quo
GAGR members patiently and politely point out comprehension failz
Captain Knowitall takes high ground with whataboutism and "just my opinion" posts
Rancour ensues.
Captain Knowitall 's innate arrogance refuses to acknowledge he could ever possibly be in the wrong.
Captain Knowitall starts to sign off posts with smiley faces.
Thread ends badly

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Did you actually read my post that you just quoted. I mean the bit where I said I don't agree with coaches abusing refs. Clearly not.
Try harder, or get Specsavers on the job. You'd like them - they sponsor the refs and umps in cricket!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Did you actually read my post that you just quoted. I mean the bit where I said I don't agree with coaches abusing refs. Clearly not.
Try harder, or get Specsavers on the job. You'd like them - they sponsor the refs and umps in cricket!
Did Rassie abuse Berry?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just watched a couple of replay clips then - Wright looked in when he tapped that ball back into play, and it does look like Muirhead was tripped by Plummer when he kicked ahead. Let’s not kid ourselves: the Blues were the better team. But fuck me the Brumbies got the raw end of the deal with decisions. I don’t understand how you can even hope to put up contest against a team like the Blues when you’re up against it like that.
100 percent. I think a lot of the people on here assume people are saying the refs are bias. That's not the case. Sometimes some teams definately get a lot more calls go their way. It's not saying a ridiculous comment like they are bias at all.

They missed the trip. I thought the TMO should have picked this up as it was a yellow card all day. Hard for doltan to pick this up

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Being accused of bias compared to an inept performance isn’t really the same Dan. No one’s saying he was biased but missing two clear knock ons when the Brumbies were on attack, with 2 referees right there is actually hopeless. If he’s the 2nd best NZ ref you have significant depth issues
I actually blame the AR for not phoning those ones in. He had the clearest/closest view of both those.

Our game is an odd one, because there is a degree of guessing going on at times. Wright wasn't out for example for that 50/22 kick. Infact the AR could only see his back as he crossed the line so had no idea if the ball was in his hands when he went over the line but you get these style of calls all the time. Ball down, ball held up, some where it looks pretty obvious it would have to be one way or the other on replay. Honestly I don't even know how the ref calls it sometimes with the angles they have and bodies everywhere. I've been a bit unimpressed in how we are using the TMO to better help the referee.

But I do agree with the general review of the refereeing team for this game. It wasn't good enough, not that it would have changed the overall outcome to my mind.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
This game and the Chiefs one last week where they just blitz the Australian teams with a quick succession of tries reminds me a little of that game the All Blacks had against the Bok in NZ. Just hard and ruthless in the first 30mins in a manner the opposition couldn't keep up with. Joe and the Wallabies are going to have to think hard about how they resolve this because once our teams get going they actually play some ok Rugby, but it's just a bridge too far by that stage.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did Rassie abuse Berry?

1718495896782.jpeg

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
So Rassie did the same as what everyone here is doing - calling out all the calls he thought the ref missed or got wrong - but his is abuse and everyone else’s isn’t?

The only difference is Rassie’s position. He isn’t some random dude on a forum so if that is the basis for calling what he did ‘abuse’ then I can understand that. But his actions were not different to what many have done here

Refs get shit wrong and whether you like it or not, it’s not unusual for the more dominant team - the team winning the collision area - to get the rub of the green We could all go thru the game and find all the refs mistakes and the Brumbies would still have been dominated. They were never in this game.

It’s laughable that Shiggins is trying to sound like a reasonable voice when it comes to referees. Dan54, on the other hand, rarely blames res if ever.

Yeah - bring all your ‘biased kiwi’ complaints and whinging….

Last edited: