• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Bledisloe 1 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, 8:05pm

Who wins?

• Walabies

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • All Blacks

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
This whole Skelton debate reminds me of the one NZ used to have re. Mark Cooksley (2.05m & 125+ kg) through most of the '90s. We really, really wanted him to be this SA-style man-mountain we could build a pack around but he just wasn't quite there so we picked smaller guys who offered a better all-round package.

Has he ever be tried at 1? A guy that size would have to be a disruption on opposition throws, even if he just stands there waving his arms, a pretty decent target for a fast & flat throw on your own ball, a lifter/ blocker for the guy at 2, or just a decoy.

I'm guessing teams will be named tomorrow & that Chieka will keep us waiting until the last minute, probably name 24 or 25 as seems to be his MO?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Fuck's sake this ongoing "THE LINEOUT IS ALL ABOUT NUMBERS!" and "MORE OPTIONS AND MORE CENTIMETRES = BETTER LINEOUT!"

It fucking doesn't. Sure, it helps, but if you've got no subtlety, technique, or understanding it doesn't mean shit.

The ABs had a great stock of tall timber in the late 90s / early noughties but it didn't mean shit because their timing was fucked and their throwers were questionable.

Forget about the fucking lineout on our ball. There are enough options if we're smart enough - and we're Australian rugby so we'd BETTER be fucking smart enough, because we're certainly not tough enough.

What we SHOULD be concerned about is how we go about disrupting the AB lineout, because denying them ball at all opportunities is the only way we're going to win this thing.

Possession and territory, but possession in the RIGHT territory.

Honestly, some of you think you know better than the national coaches. Where do you coach again? How's your level 2 accreditation going, getting you into Test footy is it?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Classic Pfitzy post. Ridiculing others for expressing their opinion and not being a national coach so how dare they. Then expressing his opinion as though he knows how to fix the problem. Irony.

Possession in the right territory? Yes, that was definitely the missing ingredient verse England. Not that we had absolutely no clue how to use the possession.

When is the team announced?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Classic Pfitzy post. Ridiculing others for expressing their opinion and not being a national coach so how dare they. Then expressing his opinion as though he knows how to fix the problem. Irony.

DELETED

The point which you so eloquently missed DELETED is: stop worrying about pissy little stats. We should be more worried about how we out-smash them and you can't measure that on anything except the scoreboard.

I, and I'm sure others here, coach senior rugby. You don't worry about any centimetres in park footy except the ones between the ears of your players. No reason that can't apply to Test footy.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
DELETED

The point which you so eloquently missed DELETED is: stop worrying about pissy little stats. We should be more worried about how we out-smash them and you can't measure that on anything except the scoreboard.

I, and I'm sure others here, coach senior rugby. You don't worry about any centimetres in park footy except the ones between the ears of your players. No reason that can't apply to Test footy.

No Pfitzy, your point was not missed. I just find your regular telling of others that their opinion is cat vomit tedious. Your opinion is no more valid than theirs despite what you may think.

Probably because you are a Tah fan. Sorry just added that because it is obvious on this forum anyone who disagrees with you soley does so because of a different franchise affiliation as though that has any bearing on them getting your point. That isn't tedious at all either.

T

Train Without a Station

Close to 50% of test tries come from line outs don't they?

If that still remains true surely you'd be a fool to disregard that attacking platform, and not wanting disrupt that attacking platform for the opposition.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair Pitzy, when it come to the Wallabies V All Blacks numbers matter. We should have the same standard of jumpers otherwise we put unnecessary pressure on ourselves.

2 jumping locks (Douglas & Simmons), Fardy, and Hooper/Poey is even enough to compete with Rettallick, Whitelock, Read and Kaino.

As soon as you lose a solid jumper it's create's a huge imbalance compared to the All Blacks. Basically, there is no room for Skelton unless you want to give the All Blacks a clear advantage.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
To change the subject, did anybody notice that Matthew Burke picked Giteau at 10 in his team in the Hurled?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
What we SHOULD be concerned about is how we go about disrupting the AB lineout, because denying them ball at all opportunities is the only way we're going to win this thing.

I'd dare say that there's a strong correlation between how many players you have above 6'3 and how disruptive you are on the oppositions line out.

Otherwise, why don't we just throw Phipps, Foley and Giteau into the line outcome lineout time and just tell them to out sudoku the Aye-Bee's.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Assuming Cheika goes with a 5:3 bench split, it becomes interesting as to what his options are.

I'm going to assume the starting forward pack is two of Simmons/Douglas/Coleman and Fardy, Hooper, Pocock.

Mumm was the reserve lineout caller during the England series and RWC. Does someone else have that role now or does he need to play? Otherwise whoever misses out from Simmons, Douglas and Coleman would make sense.

Presumably your other player is McMahon, McCalman or Timani. Unless you select McCalman you cause more issues with the lineout at the back end of the game assuming it will be Fardy who gets replaced.

You could pick both Mumm and another lock and figure that Mumm is your replacement backrower but ideally both locks will get replaced at some point during the game. This gives them a chance to go harder for less time to hopefully catch up a bit in what is a weak position comparably.

A 6:2 bench obviously provides more options in the forward pack but I'm not sure we have the right options in the backline to cover that. Without Beale we don't have as much versatility. Only 2 back reserves is always something of a risk and I don't think we should take that punt.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For the record: I wouldn't pick Skelton either. Only partly for the lineout, but mostly because he's been shit around the park except for the odd nice touch.

Someone like Coleman is a preferred bench option for me, and Simmons has form and runs on the board. Douglas probably takes the last spot but that is only based on his RWC performances - and we are completely unaware of his ability to reproduce them.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Assuming Cheika goes with a 5:3 bench split, it becomes interesting as to what his options are.

I'm going to assume the starting forward pack is two of Simmons/Douglas/Coleman and Fardy, Hooper, Pocock.

Mumm was the reserve lineout caller during the England series and RWC. Does someone else have that role now or does he need to play? Otherwise whoever misses out from Simmons, Douglas and Coleman would make sense.

Presumably your other player is McMahon, McCalman or Timani. Unless you select McCalman you cause more issues with the lineout at the back end of the game assuming it will be Fardy who gets replaced.

You could pick both Mumm and another lock and figure that Mumm is your replacement backrower but ideally both locks will get replaced at some point during the game. This gives them a chance to go harder for less time to hopefully catch up a bit in what is a weak position comparably.

A 6:2 bench obviously provides more options in the forward pack but I'm not sure we have the right options in the backline to cover that. Without Beale we don't have as much versatility. Only 2 back reserves is always something of a risk and I don't think we should take that punt.

Reckon it will be a "war" up front. Would rather have that extra piggie

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
For the record: I wouldn't pick Skelton either. Only partly for the lineout, but mostly because he's been shit around the park except for the odd nice touch.

+1. Big Willie's not nearly fit enough. This was painfully obvious when he had to play more minutes than intended in the Pommie series.

Could those rugby supporter from north of the Tweed please take note two Tahs supporters advocate NOT picking a Tah player for the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reckon it will be a "war" up front. Would rather have that extra piggie

Let's say our backline is:

9. Genia, 10. Foley, 11. DHP/Mitchell, 12. Giteau, 13. Kuridrani/Kerevi 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 15. Folau

22. Phipps, 23. ???

If you only have the two back reserves, it creates a big potential shuffle if there is an injury.

Let's say 23 is To'omua. He covers 10/12. If 13 or one of the back three goes down, who plays there? It probably means To'omua on the wing because anything else is a big reshuffle. You could potentially move Foley to fullback and To'omua or Giteau to 10 but moving your 10 due to an injury elsewhere is a pretty big reshuffle.

If 23 is Kerevi you could say that he covers 12, 13, 14. Giteau becomes your reserve 10, and DHP/Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) your reserve fullback.

That could be a decent option in this scenario.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's say our backline is:

9. Genia, 10. Foley, 11. DHP/Mitchell, 12. Giteau, 13. Kuridrani/Kerevi 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 15. Folau

22. Phipps, 23. ???

If you only have the two back reserves, it creates a big potential shuffle if there is an injury.

Let's say 23 is To'omua. He covers 10/12. If 13 or one of the back three goes down, who plays there? It probably means To'omua on the wing because anything else is a big reshuffle. You could potentially move Foley to fullback and To'omua or Giteau to 10 but moving your 10 due to an injury elsewhere is a pretty big reshuffle.

If 23 is Kerevi you could say that he covers 12, 13, 14. Giteau becomes your reserve 10, and DHP/Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) your reserve fullback.

That could be a decent option in this scenario.

If Kerevi doesn't make the starting team I would expect him to miss out on the 23 altogether, with either To'omua/Giteau and one out of Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/DHP to fill two of the bench spots.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm expecting to see quade in the 23, probably in Beale's role as a "finisher". The time he's spent at fullback for toulon may end up working in his favour...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.