• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saviour road

Welcome aboard savior road and other refugees.
If you are indicating that there should be more Sportal type licence here to denigrate opinions just because they differ from yours, or worse to abuse such opinions, my suggestions is to try another forum.
If you are not saying that but suggesting that the posts are too bland: fair enough; but it's hard for some of we older blokes who have, or have had, teenage sons, to criticise schoolboy players who are doing their best and have done well enough to represent their state. Younger posters are more dogmatic and I understand them: when I was at their age I knew everything and I was fearless in offering extreme views.It's not that easy to report on school tournaments. As one who has done these kind of reports when the tournament was in Sydney or Canberra it is difficult be dogmatic about players you see for the first time. Even if you have seen them before in trials (in Sydney in my case) you have to factor in that they are now playing in a team thrown together for four games. The teams change on most game days, so players scarcely have a chance to settle in with team mates.When they are from a different state it takes a few games to recognise them without looking them up and sometimes the names in the programmes are wrong.
So unless a player has a blinder or a shocker one has to be circumspect. Once you have seen all 4 games, different story; you can be a bit more critical of a player having seen him play over a few matches..

No I think you misunderstood me - I just don't sugar coat things. If a player is off his game I have no qualms about saying so SO LONG AS SUPPORTING EXPLANATION is provided and is objective without fear or favour. Mere negative word are not right but if objective explanation is provided then I feel it is allowable.
EG: Havea today had a shocker. Why, because he did not work, did not commit to the breakdown at all and was nowhere to be seen other than seagulling out in the far outside backs and in reality was a total passenger for most of the game.
Standouts today (good and bad):
Ingate, is a good player but Apo is not supporting him.
Skelton, very rarely did anything, walked around a lot, way too unfit but his strength was useful in the tight when he was there
Entire CS team, wonderful spirit and determination
Milne, good game and a hero until 2 stupid kicks allowed NSW to score
Sautia, very good when he came on at half time, an equal to Crook and they compliment each other
Crook, absolute best attacking player there and made some great tackles. One try set up one of the best I have seen from inside his own 22
Slipper, very good game, did some great drives and cover runs, great jumping
Elisha Palupe, I read he had a good game on Tuesday, too much a seagull and shirked the hard work
Matahaere, great game, good distribution
Taefu, too many personal hit ups with outside players unmarked or overlapping defence
Hoskins (WA), very good in the scrum and does a lot of work
Gillespie, 2 good tries and a great worker in and around the breakdown

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
No I think you misunderstood me - I just don't sugar coat things. If a player is off his game I have no qualms about saying so SO LONG AS SUPPORTING EXPLANATION is provided and is objective without fear or favour. Mere negative word are not right but if objective explanation is provided then I feel it is allowable.
EG: Havea today had a shocker. Why, because he did not work, did not commit to the breakdown at all and was nowhere to be seen other than seagulling out in the far outside backs and in reality was a total passenger for most of the game.

Hmm. I reckon that criticism could be expressed more succinctly. Like: 'Havea just didn't work hard enough, spending too much tine in the backs.' Not quite so harsh, but got the important info across. Agree?

S

saviour road

Hmm. I reckon that criticism could be expressed more succinctly. Like: 'Havea just didn't work hard enough, spending too much tine in the backs.' Not quite so harsh, but got the important info across. Agree?

There you go, too much sugar. Thats you not me but I get your point.

As for picking a team,

1:
2: Roach (NSW)
3: Hoskins (WA)
4: Browning (Qld)
5: Melrose (NSW) maybe ormaybe Slipper (Qld) if no other suitable
6: Killingworth (NSW)
7: ?
8: ????? this one is really open if you are objective
9: ? no one stood up yet
10: Mata haere (Qld) or Dunbar (NSW)
11: Petaia (or Sautia) (Qld)
12: Does Ingate play 12 - if so him, otherwise ?
13: Sautia (Qld) or Ingate (NSW)
14: Crook (Qld)
15: Holland (ACT) or Crook (Qld)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
saviour road

Fair enough; it's just that you indicated that you came from Sportal and I shudder at how schoolboys, including older guys acting like them, ruined that forum. That's why we are a bit precious.

Thanks for your comments on the day's play and your selections. Good stuff. A few more from other folks like whispers, and for the 4 days, and we tragics south of the Tweed can get a good picture of what is going on.

It would be terrible for the 2's to lose Apo.

They may not lose him. In 2008 they changed the schools laws at the national championships. Ed Quirk got a red card for dumping somebody and he wasn't replaced as they could do in prior years. But in the next game there he was playing again; so he wasn't suspended. If that procedure prevails, Apo could play.

Not to the point, but the first thing Quirk did in that next game was to coat hanger somebody; but he got away with it.

Wow - skinny wins for Qld IIs and NSW Is. Good stuff from their opponents obviously. Hopefully a few Vic and ACT lads will get a mention in the two Oz Schools teams.

S

saviour road

saviour road
Fair enough; it's just that you indicated that you came from Sportal and I shudder at how schoolboys, including older guys acting like them, ruined that forum. That's why we are a bit precious.
Thanks for your comments on the day's play and your selections. Good stuff. A few more from other folks like whispers, and for the 4 days, and we tragics south of the Tweed can get a good picture of what is going on..

There were a few honest souls at Sportal, sidelinecoach, another rugbywhisperer, lee grant, goldenone etc who always gave honest and objective comment.
Haven't seen the coach here on this one though.

O

OLDDOG

Dunno about the coach being objective on sportal, coached phraseology maybe, but appeared to be pushing one very average relative very hard.....

C

chief

Heading out to Ballymore tommorrow

1.15pm ACT v WA (Pool B)
2.45pm Combined States v Victoria (Pool A) (Possibly)
4.30pm Qld 2 v NSW 1 (Pool A)
6pm Qld 1 v NSW 2 (Pool B)

I will be watching those games in bold. Please give me player names and numbers that I can view if your keen. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to tell everyone who your next Wallaby prediction is. Should be a great day filled with Rugby tomorrow thoroughly worth the $5 fee I'll be paying. If your lucky I might even bring a notebook, but I don't want to look like a fuck wit.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
saviour road

Thanks for your comments on the day's play and your selections. Good stuff. A few more from other folks like whispers, and for the 4 days, and we tragics south of the Tweed can get a good picture of what is going on.

They may not lose him. In 2008 they changed the schools laws at the national championships. Ed Quirk got a red card for dumping somebody and he wasn't replaced as they could do in prior years. But in the next game there he was playing again; so he wasn't suspended. If that procedure prevails, Apo could play.

Not to the point, but the first thing Quirk did in that next game was to coat hanger somebody; but he got away with it.

Wow - skinny wins for Qld IIs and NSW Is. Good stuff from their opponents obviously. Hopefully a few Vic and ACT lads will get a mention in the two Oz Schools teams.

I heard Apo is suspended for 1 match.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
So - a different policy from 2008 - and for a change I am sure of my facts: Quirk was red carded in 2008 and played in the next game. I remember because none of the Qld crowd I was sitting with that week at Viking Park were sure if Quirk would be able to play. Perhaps what Apo did was worse than what Quirk did, but that beggars belief.

C

chief

So - a different policy from 2008 - and for a change I am sure of my facts: Quirk was red carded in 2008 and played in the next game. I remember because none of the Qld crowd I was sitting with that week at Viking Park were sure if Quirk would be able to play. Perhaps what Apo did was worse than what Quirk did, but that beggars belief.

Saw footage of the tackle. It was the case of an over zealous referee trying to make his statement. The tackle was not even a penalisable offense.

Ruka Hanlon (TSS last year QLD I and AUS A, and AUS) was Red Carded for a racist remark, he played the next game which was very surprising.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Saw footage of the tackle. It was the case of an over zealous referee trying to make his statement. The tackle was not even a penalisable offense.

Ruka Hanlon (TSS last year QLD I and AUS A, and AUS) was Red Carded for a racist remark, he played the next game which was very surprising.

The judiciary must have thought that red card was correct - otherwise he wouldn't have been suspended.

C

catchpole

Saviour Road,

It's hard for me to comment on your selections from a thousand kilometers away in rainy Sydney.

From the reports posted in this forum it appears that Guy Millar & Jed Gillespie (NSW I & II props) and Tom Connor(NSW II No.7) are enjoying a great tournament.

Can you find any room for them in your selection?

I am also keen to hear how Ben Black (NSW I Halfback from Chevalier College) is playing as I had never heard of him prior to his selection for NSW Schools.

I look forward to your comments over the next two days.

O

Overseer

While never in a gazillion years condoning racism in any way or what Ruka said or where he said it, is there really any comparision? A colored person to a non colored. That's why he played the next game - it was adjudged to me totally ridiculous in the forst place and to carry on with it is simply taking an incident totally out of context to bolster your own argument.
The tackle by Apo was to all purposes definabale by referees for a red card it is tough on Apo to be out. Without the benefit of replay the ref's call was correct and it looked nasty. Obviously on review it didn't lose any of it's malice. Speaking to the 'referees gathering' at the back of the grandstand they were mostly in agreement.
They also agreed that the ref doing the NSWII v CS was way too lenient on NSW when there were many many tackle infringements inside their own 22 and had he been more astute in his adjudication a number of yellows should have ensued. (for the layman - NSW got away with blue murder at the breakdown and escaped a jail term without passing go).

O

Overseer

5: Melrose (NSW) maybe ormaybe Slipper (Qld) if no other suitable

Tell me - are they playing a parallel tournament on the planet Zork or are you delusional.

One of these has the genes and test rugby in the blood the other doesn't.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
DAY 2

Pool A

QLD II 27(Mitch Pilat, Steve Hunt, Manny Bell, Nathan Lennan, Lausi Taliauli tries, Sam Cox con) defeated VIC 26 (Alan Faalavau 2, Rennie Lautolo, Edwin Maka tries, Rennie Lautolo 3 con)

NSW I 10 (Samuel Muler, Matthew Hulme tries) defeated Combined S 6 (Jake Milne 2 FG)

Pool B

QLD I 61 (Cayden Matehaere 2, Walter Petaia, Elisha Paulpe, Sean Cox, Jack Bridges, Lindsay Crook, Giorgio Phillips, Chri F’Sautia tries, Henry Taefu 4 con, Giorgio Phillips 4 con) defeated WA 7 (Ethan Carslisle try, Hemi Chase con)

NSW II 35 (Boyd Killingworth 2, Jed Gillespie 2, Tom Connar, tries, Ed Wylie 5 con) defeated ACT 27(Bill Chalker, Lewis Holland, Tom Cusack tries John Field 3 con 2 pen)

Perhaps the score should read Kings 35 def ACT 27!!

POOL STANDINGS DAY 2:

POOL A: QLD II 10, NSW I 9, Combined States 1, Victoria 1)

POOL B: NSW II 5, QLD I 5, ACT 0, WA 0

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I have confirmed that Apo is serving a one match suspension. He is also carrying an ankle injury so intensive physio till Sunday will have him primed if the boys make it to then.

D

DEER HUNTER

Then Australian Rugby Schools took him to the UK, and now he's playing league. Well done boys.

T

TheTruth

I have confirmed that Apo is serving a one match suspension. He is also carrying an ankle injury so intensive physio till Sunday will have him primed if the boys make it to then.

Saw tackle myself - was a dangerous tackle and Apo very lucky as and more importantly was the tackled kid. It appeared to be "deliberate" and not just a "careless" lift. Reckon Apo lucky to get just 1 match rubout

Status
Not open for further replies.