• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Have a team in Victoria the state that produces the third most Wallabies
Although it would be good to see them come back but although they may have the third most wallabies they only ever made 2 finals and were knocked out early in there entire 15 years. For a state that is so heavily in love with AFL, there is no real point trying to throw money down there, Instead help improve the other 4 aussie teams in the comp, and getting all these school boy players who just go to league.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Apropos of nothing immediately in this thread, but sort of in terms of our constant battle with the other code: I turned over to Ch. Nein last night while it was half time in the Lions v Bombers game and Souths v Newcastle was on. Like several other times I've it this season, there was no bugger at the ground. We bemoan Super rugby attendances, but on at least three occasions I've watched Friday or Saturday night NRL fixtures and the crowds were sparse to say the least.

In terms of the actual game, apart from a fantastic run from Ponga at the back to set up a try, the footy was boring as batshit.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
in contrast, i watched a bit of the Storm v Dolphins game at AAMI last night, the ground and crowd were pumping, 18 - 20 K?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
could well have been, i only watched for brief time and didnt see the top tiers. i live close by, it sounded like 25+ thats for sure
edit: 26106 from austadiums

Last edited:

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Crowds are very fixture dependent. I don't think NRL are overly concerned with attendance by and large.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Games at Homebush are always sad when Souths aren't going well. Shit place to get to when your team is ass.

Storm had a great crowd v the Dolphins who are a who cares franchise then the Sharks v Dragons game in Wollongong (buzz town recently on here) was packed.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, the NRL is currently averaging 19,754 people a game, which is all time high, and they will get close to 4.5m through the gate over the season. I don't think they worry too much about the odd flop at Homebush, which the NSW gov is underwriting anyway

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure on AFL, but NRL crowds are up, Netball had a near sell out season, Basketball crowds exploding over 90% capacity, A-L crowds down on their best but grew by 8% last year.

Seems to be a trend of more people going to live sports.

If Super Rugby teams start winning crowds will improve IMO

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure on AFL, but NRL crowds are up, Netball had a near sell out season, Basketball crowds exploding over 90% capacity, A-L crowds down on their best but grew by 8% last year.

Seems to be a trend of more people going to live sports.

If Super Rugby teams start winning crowds will improve IMO
This is the crux of it. We can go on and on about marketing statistics and trends, but the fact in any industry is that people go to events that are good and enjoyable. There is nothing enjoyable about your local team constantly dropping the ball, missing tackles and losing constantly to a random team from another country

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But they have done nothing to address the structural imbalances of the competition and so our Super Rugby teams are getting worse, not better. Its a death spiral born of inaction.