• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
You know, labelling people as Forelock Tuggers because their view is in any way different to yours is cheap, and really non-contributory. It's not a black and white situation.

and its insensitive to folicly challenged who don't have a forelock to tug. :)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Many decisions made in the past few years were not black and white.

But the mismanagement of the Super clubs in the past few months is starkly black & white.

The ARU have been demonstrably incompetent.

So much so, that accountability for this mismanagement needs to be attributed,and corrected.

Not to do so, is either further proof of incompetence or arrogance.

Neither of which should be a feature of decision makers in this sport.

That's where the debate gets a bit murky. A lot of people want to attribute blame to individuals. I understand that, it is easier to be angry at a person. For me I see people like Hawker, Pulver and a succession of board members who we could all attack as self serving, incompetent etc etc, I much rather look at why a succession of people failed and that comes back to the system and the integrity of that system. We have a seen a succession of bad incidents from the Beale/Patston/Link matter to Brumbies Properties deals to the current Super Rugby fiasco and none of the Board members have taken a stand that we know about. In a system where there is zero transparency bad behaviours, nepotism and worse flourish.

So where we have poor managerial outcomes for matter such as those mentioned we cannot be surprised that we have poor performance in core business activities.

I have no desire to see the current board and executive sacked and have them replaced in a system which sees the same outcomes regardless of the skills and integrity of those involved, indeed under a robust and transparent system I have no doubt that Pulver would have achieved far more than he has and his time at the ARU would be seen in a better light than the abject failure it is going to be assessed as.

As I said earlier I strongly believe that now is the time to achieve meaningful reform in the management of Australian Rugby. Dissolve or relegate to advisory status all the Unions and move to a commission style governance structure, to go through all this with the vast amount of damage to the code that this has done and gain nothing but a shuffling of the arses on the seats would be a great travesty and lost opportunity that may well never come again.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
As I said earlier I strongly believe that now is the time to achieve meaningful reform in the management of Australian Rugby. .

Could not agree more.

I honestly think we need someone from either AFL or soccer to set it up.

It needs IMO to be a two year contract to develop the systems and structures.

To many people in rugby at all levels have disjointed views and ideas, add to this infighting between especially Queensland & NSW.

A name I would offer is Ben Buckley former number two at the AFL, and head of the A-League and was involved in media negotiations for both the the AFL & NRL.

Buckley would be a clean skin with no favours to pay back. He has international experience with FIFA and Socceroos, equally in stabilising the A-League and with both AFL & soccer a knowledge of how to organise from park structures through local clubs.

I think currently Buckley is the head of Football Victoria

Further he has many media contacts.

But back to my point our systems are poor across the board, its no use changing the leaders unless we get someone with the skills and knowledge to modernise where we are.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Absolute nonsense to imagine that somebody with no background in our game could be the top dog in Australia.

Sheer fantasy.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
We desperately, urgently need to find a generation of competent 10s at all aspects of the game.

No matter who we're picking at present they have match losing issues.

I have no idea how this can be addressed, but it's the No 1 problem with Australian rugby that might have a short term ish solution (but how?)

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are they that fickle? Short answer, yes.

Fuck yeah they are.

Waratahs 2014: over 60,000 at the final to see them win it.

2015 opening game: < 18,000 on a beautiful February day, because those fickle fans had better things to do. Good thing to as the hopeless pricks limped to a shitty loss.

On a personal note: an hour getting there, and then more going home. Fit in a couple of hours for a beer or two with mates. That's most of a day.

I already dedicate about 15 hours a week to rugby, so FUCK the Tahs. Can't be bothered turning up to watch a team that can't even catch and fucking pass. Can't be bothered paying Uncle Rupes to watch it on TV either.

Looking higher: the results aren't really the issue in terms of win or loss.

Its the manner of those results. Like today: ample opportunity to put a weakened opponent to the sword and we utterly fucking bottle it.

I keep seeing Premier Rugby figures in Sydney talking it up as a provider of Wallabies. Well, fellas, if this is the output from your rugby factories, good fucking luck bringing down the NRC and replacing it with your shit. You'll just make the house of cards fall down faster.

Meanwhile, the Scots showed more grit and ambition with the limited opportunities they had, and they've got a sum total of TWO professional teams.

The All Blacks take professionalism, skill, and fitness to new levels. This is what WE used to when the game turned pro. They were lazy and indulgent of their political squabbles at school and provincial level, and they paid the price with no RWC trophies for nearly two decades

They got their shit together, and their priorities right. We need to do the same, and its not going to happen with the current structures in place.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Some stats for the 10 losses under Cheika (ex-All Blacks)

Aus outscored opponents 26 tries to 25 (!)
17 conversions to 24
17 penalty goals to 38

#needtofindakicker

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Absolute nonsense to imagine that somebody with no background in our game could be the top dog in Australia.

Sheer fantasy.

Yep when that fool Lowy appointed a union person to set up the A_League then a AFL guy then a NRL guy to run soccer .

You can see how its failed and how successful appointing union people has been for thr ARU.

Wam

Ben Buckley was the second CEO appointed by Lowy to run soccer.

Buckley's career as a player was he was a very successful AFL player .

After his playing career he when into AFL management and rose to 2IC at the AFL. He is said to have been the brains and driving force behind the AFL's first billion + media deal.

Buckley knew nothing about soccer had never been to a game.

In soccer he is credited with laying the ground work and three 3 years negotiation to unite the State Federations, to make peace between the old NSL teams and district association rep teams [these two groups had been in open war fare for decades] .

Buckley took the history of the clubs, the teams, the state federations as they were, banged their heads together and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked. Finally the schedules and agreements were made. He left.

Gallop picked up were Buckley left and carried on the talk and talk and talk.

Result is today a 110 teams National Premier League from which they are in the process of creating a second and third division. Further to establish the FFA Cup which last year had about 850 teams enter.

All this done by non soccer people, rugby needs competent, professional, knowledgeable sports administrators, not ex GPS old boys living a bubble.