• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
"While Cheika said it was the Reds’ prerogative to leave him out of their squad, it was his responsibility as national coach to find a way to get him back playing professional rugby.

“No, I’m not comfortable with it obviously but that’s the way it is,” Cheika told reporters in Sydney, following Rugby Australia’s announcement with new sponsors Land Rover.

This is the same Cheika that wouldn't pick Cooper in the Wallabies training squads when there were no other flyhalves available?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It’s not unreasonable to expect the ARU to be allowed input into how a player getting paid is utilised given they’re paying half his wage. But in Australian rugby, that concept seems to be rather outrageous. At the bare minimum their should be a use or lose it clause, if the QRU aren’t going to play him then he should be able to shit to another Aussie Super Rugby team for the season with the new club picking up only minimum wage and QRU paying the difference.

Some QRU officials might be offended by the concept of paying a guy to play for someone else, but it’s no less offensive then as a fan seeing a talented player earn $800k/annum to be kicked out of the team to play club rugby for the year.

Especially when their are reports that the QC (Quade Cooper) - Reds deal actually has RA paying more than 50% possibly up to 75%.

We also never got a straight answer is there was a payout fee required to get him out of the Toulon contact. If the 75% is true then RA really have been shafted.

But the key question here is the payout. Why not just pay him out? It $650K for the Reds and there is no salary cap implications. If the 75% split with RA is true then its a $325K payout.

IMHO this is more about the Reds being on very thin ice financially which is ironic considering the amount of contracts they have paid out in recent years especially to ex-coaches.

The other part of this that is embarrassing for RA is that the national coach was the key driver of getting QC (Quade Cooper) to return and now is still wanting him around and is powerless.

So much for the talk about the Force players under RA contracts and that RA could compel players to move. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...ga-preventable-in-future-20180209-h0vuh0.html

Reactions: dru

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It doesn't look that stupid. The prodigal son returns, is regarded (by half the population) as the best 10 we have going round. ARU front up the cash to bring him back to Australia.
He then has a terrible season in which his coach gets sacked. A new manager comes in and decides that his very particular style is not suitable to the new game plan and he's made surplus to requirements.
It's not exactly a rarity in sport, where talented players are given the flick because they don't make sense to the team as a whole.

What you say in part makes senses, except for the fact hat he has not been released nor paid out. he is still a cost on their books and filling a roster spot for the next two seasons.

The hilarious part of this is he could conceivably do a side deal with RA to get a flexi-contact clause to offset their costs (for their part of the contact) and play in Japan or elsewhere while the Reds still have to pay him. It may have to be during the Super Rugby off season but still, its possible. Cheika does want him playing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It doesn't look that stupid. The prodigal son returns, is regarded (by half the population) as the best 10 we have going round. ARU front up the cash to bring him back to Australia.
He then has a terrible season in which his coach gets sacked. A new manager comes in and decides that his very particular style is not suitable to the new game plan and he's made surplus to requirements.
It's not exactly a rarity in sport, where talented players are given the flick because they don't make sense to the team as a whole.

You make it sound like the Reds bad season was his fault. There were very few players who stood up in 2017 and Quade wasn't as bad as many are saying he was.
This is where the Kiwi system works so much better. Central contracts and provinces can place a lock on their top 25 with the rest to be split amongst the other teams.
Also Cheika isn't to happy about the Quade situation. Would be interesting if he picked him in a Wallaby training squad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What you say in apart makes senses, except for the fact hat he has not been released nor paid out. he is still a cost on their books and filling a roster spot for the next two seasons.

The hilarious part of this is he could conceivably do a side deal with RA to get a flexi-contact clause to offset their costs (for their part of the contact) and play in Japan or elsewhere while the Reds still have to pay him. It may have to be during the Super Rugby off season but still, its possible. Cheika does want him playing.

Agreed, he should be released by the Reds. I would not at all be surprised if they can't afford to pay him out.

T

TOCC

a non performing talented player. QC (Quade Cooper) has talent dripping from him. For years he has not shown that. There comes a point when non performing talent gets jettisoned. Remember Aiden Toua back in the day. Hugely talented young fellow. Signed from school, spent 7 years (I think) in the system, played 4 games for the Reds after being injury prone. Eventually he was let go. Somebody made the call. BT made the QC (Quade Cooper) call, will stick by the call,l for reasons HE believes in to promote the Reds team. Still he must have nuts like soccer balls.

It’s subjective comment and doesn’t change anything I said

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Top bloke

HHpFsHL.png

RIP

T

TOCC

Yours or mine ! Both are, of course, subjective

Naturally.... my point is your opinion of Quade doesn’t change how RA should be dealing with players. Quade is obviously a prime example, however Jono Lance was in predicament only a few weeks ago that shouldn’t have been an issue either.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

But he hasn't been given the flick, he's been kept on the Reds payroll so that no other franchise could use him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But he hasn't been given the flick, he's been kept on the Reds payroll so that no other franchise could use him.

No QH, he's been kept on the Red's payroll because he has a contract, I can assure you if someone else wanted him he would be released double quick so they can save his wage!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No QH, he's been kept on the Red's payroll because he has a contract, I can assure you if someone else wanted him he would be released double quick so they can save his wage!
Rubbish. If someone wants him, but Quade isn’t interested, it isn’t happening. Is Quade hunting? No reason to accept just anything at all that drops in at his feet. Also doubt either QRU or ARU is out checking Japan/Euro, in fact if Quade doesn’t authorise it they would have no right. Nothing shits me more than agents I haven’t authorised hawking my CV. It’s happened to me several times and they all learned the error of their ways. Quade has all the time in the world to resolve his next step. In his time. To his requirements.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Obviously he has a contract. Glad you agree he's still on the Reds payroll and hasn't been given the flick. I love people agreeing with me.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
a non performing talented player. There comes a point when non performing talent gets jettisoned. Remember Aiden Toua back in the day. Hugely talented young fellow. Signed from school, spent 7 years (I think) in the system, played 4 games for the Reds after being injury prone. Eventually he was let go. Somebody made the call. BT made the QC (Quade Cooper) call, will stick by the call,l for reasons HE believes in to promote the Reds team. Still he must have nuts like soccer balls.

Aiden Toua has been re-signed by the Reds. His tackling and willingness to go into contact is of the same standard as Quade Cooper, must be something about that not being in the job description of schoolboy rockstars signed straight from high school. A uniquely Australian problem.
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...t-George-Queensland-Reds-sign-Aidan-Toua.aspx
To quote a great modern day philosopher 'STUPID AS STUPID DOES'- Forrest Gump
Maybe that should be on licence plates in Queensland?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Aiden Toua has been re-signed by the Reds. His tackling and willingness to go into contact is of the same standard as Quade Cooper, must be something about that not being in the job description of schoolboy rockstars signed straight from high school. A uniquely Australian problem.
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...t-George-Queensland-Reds-sign-Aidan-Toua.aspx
To quote a great modern day philosopher 'STUPID AS STUPID DOES'- Forrest Gump
Maybe that should be on licence plates in Queensland?

You missed the point, and by a long way. Somebody makes a decision to sign a player, any player. The player has to perform at a certain level. That level is assessed, reassessed constantly. Part of the criteria is performance, pay scale, team culture,. Aiden was a schoolboy "star" and seen as having great potential that would be reached early. He didn't get to reach that level (through injury) and after 7 years, somebody made the call. He seems over those serious chronic injury problems and somebody has made a decision that the Reds need him (at whatever pay scale). I'm also sure that if he doesn't perform (to an acceptable level) that somebody will give him the flick.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
New Beer Sponsor, looking forward to having few cold ones

YENDA TIES THE KNOT WITH RUGBY
FEBRUARY 14, 2018
As excitement brews ahead of another action-packed season of rugby, Yenda has come on board as the official beer of the Qantas Wallabies and Vodafone Super Rugby competition.

Owned by the Australian Beer Company, the three-year partnership will see Yenda take part in the 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons.

Australian Beer Company Marketing Manager Stuart Boag said: ‘’We’re excited about this new partnership and to be able to share our locally-brewed Yenda beers with everyone in the Australian rugby community.

"Like most Aussie rugby fans, we can’t wait to get stuck into the Super Rugby season. There’s nothing we’d love more than to toast an Australian champion this season, whether it's Vodafone Super Rugby or The Rugby Championship – or both!"

Established in 2013, Yenda was named after its own home town located in the heart of the NSW Riverina which is also home to Wallaby legends Arthur Tonkin, Beresford Ellwood, Jim Lenehan, Ken McMullen and John Langford.

Now the award-winning brewery distributes quality craft beer and cider to Australians right across the country.

Rugby Australia’s General Manager, Commercial Partnerships Peter Sciberras said: ‘’Rural talent has always played a big part in Australian rugby’s success. Hard work, passion and teamwork are the cornerstone of country rugby and it’s great to welcome Yenda who share those same core values.’’