• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Larkham should be groomed, but he should not be anointed. A couple of other coaches should also be in the mix. Cron is a real outsider, but gee he has been impressive at club level.

Wessels of course.

Most decent international sporting managers take years and years to become top quality. Eddie has only really hit his straps with Japan and England after being in international management for how many years? (and England are literally overflowing with talent).

If we want someone who is actually going to cut the mustard as soon as they take over, it can't be an internal appointment. People like Cron and Wessels are promising but far too raw.

Having said that, no one will accept another foreign appointment and we couldn't afford one anyway. What do.

T

TOCC

Having a plan doesn't make it a good plan..

Its fine to have a succession plan if your country is producing high quality coaches consistently, but Australian isn't doing that. Larhkam in my opinion still needs to go a few more rounds coaching in other environments outside of Australia before he gets promoted to Wallabies coach.

Even the NZRU, with their production line of coaches look favourably on those who have coached overseas. The last 3 All Blacks Coaches(Mitchell, Hansen and Henry) all spent more time overseas coaching then they did in Super Rugby, and they all earned test coaching experience in other countries before their promotion to the All Blacks.

Eddie Jones left Australia in miserable circumstances but that experience and the extra experience he has picked up with South Africa and Japan along the way has made him better coach.

I'd prefer someone like Matt Taylor be brought back into the Australian coaching set-up ahead of the likes of Nathan Grey.. And before we get the "Oh but is he even interested", I'm just pointing out that i think international coaching experience is valuable, and i don't agree with the recent mentality of fast-tracking coaching purely because they are Australian based.

Jim McKay just became available, he is the kind of coach we need brought back to Oz

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Most decent international sporting managers take years and years to become top quality. Eddie has only really hit his straps with Japan and England after being in international management for how many years? (and England are literally overflowing with talent).

If we want someone who is actually going to cut the mustard as soon as they take over, it can't be an internal appointment. People like Cron and Wessels are promising but far too raw.

Having said that, no one will accept another foreign appointment and we couldn't afford one anyway. What do.

Talk about a sliding doors moment (well two in fact). If South Africa shut down the final lineout against Japan at RWC15 or if Robshaw doesn't make the poor lineout call to two (never give the opposition another defender eg the touchline) Eddie would be coaching the Stormers and ensuring they maintain their mediocrity.

T

TOCC

Where’s Nick Stiles these days, are the rumours of him working with the Rebels true?

Say what you like about his head coaching ability, he was a very good set piece coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's sort of interesting that the Sydney Sevens didn't make it onto the ABC website.

I know the ABC doesn't budget much to cover sports news, but still. This locked Pay-TV sport of ours lacks a level of public presence at times, except for the wrong reasons:

Even if you drill down, the latest rugby union news on the ABC site is about George Smith and the continuing police invesitgations into his alleged drunken assault of a Tokyo taxi driver despite his release from detention.

eFQyLkR.png

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The thing is, professional sports are supposed to package up their own news grabs and give them to the media. We don't have the resources to do that, naturally.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The thing is, professional sports are supposed to package up their own news grabs and give them to the media. We don't have the resources to do that, naturally.

Incorrect.

For match reports? No, this does not happen...........

The media write their stories from the off air programs, or attend the post match press conferences.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
"While Cheika said it was the Reds’ prerogative to leave him out of their squad, it was his responsibility as national coach to find a way to get him back playing professional rugby.

“No, I’m not comfortable with it obviously but that’s the way it is,” Cheika told reporters in Sydney, following Rugby Australia’s announcement with new sponsors Land Rover.

“Queensland made the decision and they’re entitled to make that decision."
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...d/news-story/ac0e9bab1a80448c6723150831ea6ad0

This is what is wrong with the contracting arrangements in this country and why we need central contracting.
Love or hate Cooper it would be better for Oz rugby if he was playing 10 at one of the other oz sides - the logical choice being the Brumbies because their 10 is not wallabies eligible.
$800k down the tubes and we don't even give ourselves the chance to see if he's past it or still got it and wallabies worthy.

Reactions: dru

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Rugby Australia page directs those interested in club rugby to the various clubs. For some reason, the Victorian Rugby Union link is in Japanese! Interesting. Can't seem to switch it to English either. Any clues about why?