• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorting an Aussie eligible and Aussie based slot would obviously be easier if certain actions had been different in 2017. I would have thought Melbourne a potential for Quade. But I’m kind of looking for a Twiggy offer. In the mean time, I suspect a year of club, letting him seek a more serious fight, might actually take his fancy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Larkham should be groomed, but he should not be anointed. A couple of other coaches should also be in the mix. Cron is a real outsider, but gee he has been impressive at club level.

Wessels of course.

The only grooming he needs should come from a hairdresser. We need appointments made on merit, not on some sort of pre-ordained pecking order based on who knows who. This sort of old boys club, promote/employ your mates attitude has got rugby to where it is today.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sorting an Aussie eligible and Aussie based slot would obviously be easier if certain actions had been different in 2017. I would have thought Melbourne a potential for Quade. But I’m kind of looking for a Twiggy offer. In the mean time, I suspect a year of club, letting him seek a more serious fight, might actually take his fancy.
Why would they allow him to do that?
For whatever reason, they want him to bugger off, and get off their payroll don't they?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why would Quade at this stage in his career want to bugger off when he can earn $650,000 for playing club rugby in Brisbane near friends and family?

I'm on Quade's side in this.

My, my, the ARU accuse clubs of pissing money up against the wall. I'll bet none of the clubs besmirched by Pulver spent anywhere near that amount of money. (winking and smiling emoticons would be inserted at this point, but sadly no can do on the site at the moment.)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Why would they allow him to do that?
For whatever reason, they want him to bugger off, and get off their payroll don't they?

What is there for them to "allow" - you presume a right of denial. About the only way they can do that is put him in pro rugby. More think about, why should Quade do anything that suits ARU/QRU if it doesn't also suit him? Thanks to Brad, Quade has the strength, not ARU/QRU. Should it have been handled better? Hell yes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My understanding is that they are required to pay him,but are not required to play him, whilst still having veto rights on his participation in other sports whilst he's under contract.I recall there were extensive negotiations about his first fight,which would support my theory.

I'm also on QC (Quade Cooper)'s side in this. How can the Reds justify that they consider its better for the squad to keep him well away from them?

I can't recall a national coach wanting a player in his squad, whilst his Provence doesn't want him in the same postcode as their squad. It's perverse, but given that's the case, I can't seeing the Reds doing anything that might please QC (Quade Cooper).

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
My, my, the ARU accuse clubs of pissing money up against the wall. I'll bet none of the clubs besmirched by Pulver spent anywhere near that amount of money. (winking and smiling emoticons would be inserted at this point, but sadly no can do on the site at the moment.)

To be fair to the ARU/RA, I don't think it is them that made the decision for QC (Quade Cooper) to not be in the Reds squad, that is up to the QRU.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
To be fair to RA? This simply shows the lack of management, control and power RA really has over the game. A Wallabies eligible player who is a real and viable option receiving an income only a few others get playing club rugby.

IMHO there is only one things that offsets how stupid this looks. for RA and the game in general. The QRU / Reds.

T

TOCC

It’s not unreasonable to expect the ARU to be allowed input into how a player getting paid is utilised given they’re paying half his wage. But in Australian rugby, that concept seems to be rather outrageous. At the bare minimum their should be a use or lose it clause, if the QRU aren’t going to play him then he should be able to shit to another Aussie Super Rugby team for the season with the new club picking up only minimum wage and QRU paying the difference.

Some QRU officials might be offended by the concept of paying a guy to play for someone else, but it’s no less offensive then as a fan seeing a talented player earn $800k/annum to be kicked out of the team to play club rugby for the year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It’s not unreasonable to expect the ARU to be allowed input into how a player getting paid is utilised given they’re paying half his wage. But in Australian rugby, that concept seems to be rather outrageous. At the bare minimum their should be a use or lose it clause, if the QRU aren’t going to play him then he should be able to shit to another Aussie Super Rugby team for the season with the new club picking up only minimum wage and QRU paying the difference.

Some QRU officials might be offended by the concept of paying a guy to play for someone else, but it’s no less offensive then as a fan seeing a talented player earn $800k/annum to be kicked out of the team to play club rugby for the year.

Maybe QC (Quade Cooper) could be loaned to the Western Force to play a few exhibition games for them this year?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To be fair to RA? This simply shows the lack of management, control and power RA really has over the game. A Wallabies eligible player who is a real and viable option receiving an income only a few others get playing club rugby.

IMHO there is only one things that offsets how stupid this looks. for RA and the game in general. The QRU / Reds.

It doesn't look that stupid. The prodigal son returns, is regarded (by half the population) as the best 10 we have going round. ARU front up the cash to bring him back to Australia.
He then has a terrible season in which his coach gets sacked. A new manager comes in and decides that his very particular style is not suitable to the new game plan and he's made surplus to requirements.
It's not exactly a rarity in sport, where talented players are given the flick because they don't make sense to the team as a whole.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

a non performing talented player. QC (Quade Cooper) has talent dripping from him. For years he has not shown that. There comes a point when non performing talent gets jettisoned. Remember Aiden Toua back in the day. Hugely talented young fellow. Signed from school, spent 7 years (I think) in the system, played 4 games for the Reds after being injury prone. Eventually he was let go. Somebody made the call. BT made the QC (Quade Cooper) call, will stick by the call,l for reasons HE believes in to promote the Reds team. Still he must have nuts like soccer balls.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It doesn't look that stupid. The prodigal son returns, is regarded (by half the population) as the best 10 we have going round. ARU front up the cash to bring him back to Australia.
He then has a terrible season in which his coach gets sacked. A new manager comes in and decides that his very particular style is not suitable to the new game plan and he's made surplus to requirements.
It's not exactly a rarity in sport, where talented players are given the flick because they don't make sense to the team as a whole.
I think there's a huge difference from not rating him,and therefore not intending to use him, to excommunicating him from the squad.

Reactions: dru