• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

They'll be defensive breakdowns because we won't be winning many line outs. Especially if Skelton is one lock and Palu the number 8.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Any surprise has to respect the fact that in facing the ABs flashiness will cut the mustard for about 10 minutes so your fundamentals and structure need to be right.
Picking KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10 might look like a surprise option but in reality you're taking the longer odds because you think you need an upset to be in the race - I think I've mixed enough metaphors on that one.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
To reflect on those whom we don't have available I'll list the players in the infirmary:

Moore
TPN
Latu
Sio
Weeks
Pocock
Dennis
Genia
Cooper
Tomane

Have I missed anyone?

Added, unavailable due to buggering off overseas:

Longbottom
Douglas
Cummins

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
When Cooper drops to 15 it's heresey but when Beale is hidden on the wing from fuckin' inside center it's clever - got it.

I think dropping QC (Quade Cooper) back to 15 in defense is clever also..coaches structure their defensive line in a manner in which to make it as impenetrable as possible and also from which to launch a counter attack..this assumption that it's to hide the weaker defenders is completely ridiculous.

T

Train Without a Station

It's to hide weaker defenders and to hide weaker attackers.

It's not done at test level because you don't have a limited squad of 30+5 with a salary cap and therefore the same limitations on who you are able to recruit.

You don't want players switching around, and potentially leaving an opening between the change of possession if you have a viable alternative.

In the Waratahs example they didn't have a player with the attacking quality of Beale who could defend in the line strongly. They needed Beale to attack but couldn't risk him in defence they discovered.

Cheika likely felt that Horne could offer what was needed in attack, but needed him to defend.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's to hide weaker defenders and to hide weaker attackers.

It's not done at test level because you don't have a limited squad of 30+5 with a salary cap and therefore the same limitations on who you are able to recruit.

You don't want players switching around, and potentially leaving an opening between the change of possession if you have a viable alternative.

In the Waratahs example they didn't have a player with the attacking quality of Beale who could defend in the line strongly. They needed Beale to attack but couldn't risk him in defence they discovered.

Cheika likely felt that Horne could offer what was needed in attack, but needed him to defend.
And Beales defensive weakness was exposed by Speight.
I think at test level it is hard to hide anyone and a selection strategy based on doing so is probably flawed.

T

Train Without a Station

It's still hard to do it at Super Rugby level. But due to the limitations on the players at your disposal you have to take the risk.

At test level you have the luxury or more alternatives considering you have 5 times the options.

I personally think you don't do it in test rugby, just because you don't have the need to. If you had an unusually large number of injuries perhaps you would have to, but in my view test coaches don't do it, because they don't need to and Super Rugby coaches do it because of limited alternatives.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
10525691_10153061553988626_2634032542643786472_n.png

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The talk out of the AB camp has been about how they will target the wallabies scrum. I don't see it. Sure if we were going in with a fit Moore, TPN and Sio we would be looking stronger but if there is one thing I know, it's that Kepu has proven himself a good scrummager who doesn't gets the wrong end of the referee's perception very often and Crockett has proven that he frequently does. I see a huge opportunity for Kepu to aim to attack Crockett and force the AB's to shift focus on the fly

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
And I don't think Charles will be a weakness at the set piece too much. At Soup level he has always been part of reasonably good scrums and his line out throwing is better than TPN's no question.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's still hard to do it at Super Rugby level. But due to the limitations on the players at your disposal you have to take the risk.

At test level you have the luxury or more alternatives considering you have 5 times the options.

I personally think you don't do it in test rugby, just because you don't have the need to. If you had an unusually large number of injuries perhaps you would have to, but in my view test coaches don't do it, because they don't need to and Super Rugby coaches do it because of limited alternatives.

I agree in general but the one thing that made it somewhat plausible this time around is that Rob Horne was potentially going to be a Wallaby winger (although at this stage it seems like McCabe will get the nod for the first test).

I will be surprised if McKenzie makes any substantial changes for the first Bledisloe. I think there are lots of potential options on the table for the rest of the series particularly if the team doesn't go well in the first game or two.

Beale's most likely opportunity in the starting team is to replace Foley at 10, but 12 is certainly a possibility and if Link did that from the first minute I think he would try and hide him in defence.

Phipps to start ahead of White seems like the most likely selection change if White doesn't show great form in the first test or two.

Once Speight becomes available I think there is a strong likelihood AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could be moved to 13.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To reflect on those whom we don't have available I'll list the players in the infirmary:

Moore
TPN
Latu
Sio
Weeks
Pocock
Dennis
Genia
Cooper
Tomane

Have I missed anyone?

Added, unavailable due to buggering off overseas:

Longbottom
Douglas
Cummins

There's plenty more depending on our far you go. Dave Denis, Kyle Godwin, CFS etc

Status
Not open for further replies.