• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hodgo's try?

Unfortunately Charles has put a lot of muscle onto his thighs since that try (and had a knee injury and aged 4 years). He ain't that quick anymore, but I do believe his spatial awareness and peripheral vision are first rate out of all of Australian hookers. He is good for a couple of extra try's each year in being in the right place at the right time or choosing the right option to pass to.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
And due to his cf his fitness levels have to be tip top so his workrate should be good, i don't think he'll let us down

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Re Higgers and the next few years: I reckon just as Skelton is the long term replacement for Palu at 8 that Jones is the long term replacement for Fardy at 6. Why Jones was dumped and Higgers kept is absolutely beyond me. Higgers was absolutely AWFUL in the second half of the Super season.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
in the week before a big game involving our teams, i always oscillate from optimist to pessimist. without a sip, the glass goes from half bloody full to half fcukkin empty in a flash. today, i am very pessimistic and that is born from my assessment that our personnel are not good enough to beat The Evil. hopefully, i will flip while i sleep and wake up optimistic.

meantime, i share Hawko's concern re H'Bum who i also think has been very poor this year. i am not sold on Fardy and i don't see Jones as the man. i like a 6 who wanders around the field bashing blokes and really puts the frighteners on opponents who look like getting too daring in where they go. i can't see one such in Australia's Supe teams at the moment.

Hawko, do you reckon Skelton has (or can develop) the speed and stamina required for a number 8 of Mr Palu's calibre?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
i share Hawko's concern re H'Bum who i also think has been very poor this year. i am not sold on Fardy and i don't see Jones as the man. i like a 6 who wanders around the field bashing blokes and really puts the frighteners on opponents who look like getting too daring in where they go. i can't see one such in Australia's Supe teams at the moment.

I could see Cottrell filling this role in a year or two if he continues to play well, but the cubboard does look bare for the immediate future.

Think you're being a bit hard on Fardy though, his style of play compliments Hooper/Palu very well and it's not like he's a bad ball carrier by any stretch of the imagination.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Don't know if he has any knowledge outside the rest of us but Brett Harris has this team penciled in this morning:
Possible Wallabies team: 15: Israel Folau, 14: Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13: Tevita Kuridrani, 12: Matt To'omua, 11: Pat McCabe, 10: Bernard Foley, 9: Nic White, 8: Wycliff Palu, 7: Michael Hooper (c), 6: Scott Fardy, 5: Sam Carter, 4: Rob Simmons, 3: Sekope Kepu, 2: Nathan Charles, 1: James Slipper. Reserves: 16: James Hanson, 17: Ben Alexander, 18: Pek Cowan, 19: Will Skelton, 20: Ben McCalman, 21: Nick Phipps, 22: Kurtley Beale, 23: Rob Horne.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Shoulde be:

15: Israel Folau, 14: Rob Horne 13: Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12: Matt To'omua, 11: Pat McCabe, 10: Bernard Foley, 9: Nick Phipps, 8: Wycliff Palu, 7: Michael Hooper (c), 6: Scott Fardy, 5: Sam Carter, 4: Rob Simmons, 3: Sekope Kepu, 2: Nathan Charles, 1: James Slipper. Reserves: 16: James Hanson, 17: Ben Alexander, 18: Pek Cowan, 19: Will Skelton, 20: Ben McCalman, 21: Nic White, 22: Kurtley Beale, 23: Tevita Kuridrani.

On the basis that Phipps' last few games were exceptional. There is no reason not to pick the wing and 13 the way I suggest: both are accomplished test players and the Kuridrani selection process weakens 2 positions.
I can see that it is a little too Tahs centric to pass the PC tests.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The team that Harris listed is the conservative option and for that reason I don't buy it. We are playing New Zealand and I have a feeling Link will want an element of surprise. Possibly in the centres the way you suggest IS, or even Beale at 12. Or both. SO that's even more Tahs centric but it's not as though the combinations aren't there..

anyway, no point speculating at this late stage, all will be revealed at midday..

T

Train Without a Station

A point of surprise? He's not a magician. He will want the strongest team possible capable of doing their individual roles properly with as little weaknesses possible.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I read an article over the weekend, on The Roar I think, that rightfully suggested that to beat the All Blacks the Wallabies needed to be stronger than the Waratahs. And that wasn't going to be achieved by disassembling the Waratahs backline. And without JacqPot.
I'm not advocating that but it's a fair point..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Possible Wallabies team: 15: Israel Folau, 14: Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13: Tevita Kuridrani, 12: Matt To'omua, 11: Pat McCabe, 10: Bernard Foley, 9: Nic White, 8: Wycliff Palu, 7: Michael Hooper (c), 6: Scott Fardy, 5: Sam Carter, 4: Rob Simmons, 3: Sekope Kepu, 2: Nathan Charles, 1: James Slipper. Reserves: 16: James Hanson, 17: Ben Alexander, 18: Pek Cowan, 19: Will Skelton, 20: Ben McCalman, 21: Nick Phipps, 22: Kurtley Beale, 23: Rob Horne.

This is definitely the most likely team.

I'm guessing rumours of possible changes would have been floating around if anything different was going to happen.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon there will be a surprise or two coming up.

1-8 look set with no real surprises

Backs:
White a certainty
Foley or Kurtley at 10
To'omua at 12 - certainty
Kurindrani or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13
Horne/McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Beale on wings
Izzy - certainty

Looking forward to announcement - then we all can have our two bobs worth

T

Train Without a Station

I read an article over the weekend, on The Roar I think, that rightfully suggested that to beat the All Blacks the Wallabies needed to be stronger than the Waratahs. And that wasn't going to be achieved by disassembling the Waratahs backline. And without JacqPot.
I'm not advocating that but it's a fair point..

That ignores the fact that the Wallabies have won 7 games in a row based on their current team. That's not disassembling the Waratahs backline, that's keeping what's been successful.

Now we can talk down the quality of opposition that were faced in those 7 games, but that ignores the fact that despite playing the exact same schedule for 6 years Deans was never able to achieve that.

You talk like the Waratahs backline is the only backline capable of scoring tries. Even if you wanted to use the Waratahs as a starting point - which is a flawed logic, just like starting at the Reds team then adjusting in 2011 would have been because it would have ignored that some players like the Fardy's of the world don't look like superstars at Super Rugby level but have the style of play to suit and excel in test rugby - You would add to the weaknesses.

Beale's defence is a weakness? Bang. We'll chuck in To'omua there.

Phipps lacks a strong long kicking game and he doesn't have the best pass of all Australian halfbacks? Bang. We'll chuck in White there.

Alofa Alofa is leaving? Bang. We'll chuck in Pat McCabe or Rob Horne there.

We're lacking a big ball runner in the backline? Bang, we'll shift AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out one where he has played about half his test career and slot the 105kg Kuridrani in at 13.

Well what do you know? That's basically what the backline will be.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
BTW, you evidently missed the bit where I said I wasn't advocating it, I just said it was a good read..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If Beale is a chance at 10 then I'm sure Hooper in general defence play and maybe even Slipper at lineouts will be covering that 10 chanel bigtime.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Pocock WAS a great pilfering 7 - no question and I don't think anyone would disagree. I hope the bloke comes back, as good as he was.

Time and injury has given another young bloke an opportunity - one Michael Hooper - best wallaby for the past 2 years - Captain of the Wallabies - Shit and hasn't he taken maximum advantage of that opportunity.

Even if Poey comes back blah blah, I would still pick Hooper over him in a heartbeat. Question will be , can Poey play any other position in which Australia is short. Not 6 as Fardy is playing great - certainly not 8 as he does not have the running game nor size and Cliffy is playing the house down.

Only possible spot would be 2 but with TPN, Moore Charles and Hansen not much opportunity there.

I still see Fardy as a fast lock playing at 6. Poey could probably make that position his own with his speed and strength.
Imagine him and Hooper getting to the breakdowns together.

Status
Not open for further replies.