• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow, I was sure Kev was gonna get a ban when they appealed the case. I've suddenly decided that I must go to the game and have started scouring Gumtree for cost price tickets. Alas, it seems most people are trying to sell them for well over their marked value (saw bronze tickets at $300 a pop). Any bright ideas where to get some?

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think we can look to the 2nd test as an indicator of how the Lions will play in the 3rd test. I think they will have realised that they cant just play defence all game and hope to win. One would think they will try to hold on to the ball a bit more. But surely they need some personnel changes if they hope to score some tries. The Wallabies defence has been rock solid so far and the only line-breaks from the Lions so far this series were from (a) a horrible kick and attempted tackle from Barnes and (b) a try which resulted from having to play a flanker in the centres. I'd bring Tuilagi (sp?) and Roberts in a try to smash their way through.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Did I post this elsewhere?

If the Lions want to win this, they need to pick:

1 Corbisiero
2 Hibbard
3 Jones the prop
4 Jones the lock
5 That big blonde Scottish bastard
6 SOB
7 Tipuric
8 Faletau
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Tuilagi/Roberts
13 BOD
14 Bowe
15 Halfpenny

Youngs, Cole, Vunipola, Parling, Croft, Youngs, Feral, Hogg

That team scares me, and I thought of it!

Wallabies should be basically unchanged, though I'd be tempted to have Slipper for Alexander (who started to fall apart when Vpola remembered to pack straight), and The Honey Badger for Tomane (who did nothing wrong, but I'm just a HB fan).

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Wow, I was sure Kev was gonna get a ban when they appealed the case. I've suddenly decided that I must go to the game and have started scouring Gumtree for cost price tickets. Alas, it seems most people are trying to sell them for well over their marked value (saw bronze tickets at $300 a pop). Any bright ideas where to get some?

if you are OK to go alone there are single platinum tickets still selling via ticketek. your $300 gets a better seat.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
if you are OK to go alone there are single platinum tickets still selling via ticketek. your $300 gets a better seat.

Due to last minute work changes meaning I could go that's what i did in Brisbane. Had the best time ever, was surrounded by Lions fans, they were fantastic. Do it! Best rugby game I've ever been to.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Advantage Wallabies now that Horwill is available. Very worried about Saturday, the longer this test series goes on the more negative the Lions play is getting, if Australia cut out the unforced errors and Lilo brings his Melbourne form they could rack up a big score at the weekend

I was thinking exactly that. If the Wallabies sort their shit out at flyhalf and give attacking direction, as well as get better protection at the breakdown... the lions are in big trouble on Saturday.

I don't know if anyone knows, well a few people, but Folau in my opinion is the most clinical finisher in RL / RU atm. He has the physicality and the skills. He doesn't drop the high balls, he doesn't drop the ball full stop, he does the percentage finish everytime.

If the Wallabies can get the ball to Folau in space it is goodnight BIL. At the same time the Lions can't afford to shut up shop.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

1 Corbisiero
2 Hibbard
3 Jones the prop
4 Jones the lock
6 SOB
7 Tipuric
8 Faletau
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Tuilagi/Roberts
13 BOD
14 Bowe
15 Halfpenny

Youngs, Cole, Vunipola, Parling, Croft, Youngs, Feral, Hogg

That team scares me, and I thought of it!

Wallabies should be basically unchanged, though I'd be tempted to have Slipper for Alexander (who started to fall apart when Vpola remembered to pack straight), and The Honey Badger for Tomane (who did nothing wrong, but I'm just a HB fan).
Like that team - Richie Gray (big blonde) - has been in fantastic form in recent years (although injured in Wales game) - almost in the same class as Bekker.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
While IF justifiably gets all the plaudits, they should not overlook the option to get the ball to Tomane. He is a good finisher and good with the high ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

1 Corbisiero
2 Hibbard
3 Jones the prop
4 Jones the lock
6 SOB
7 Tipuric
8 Faletau
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Tuilagi/Roberts
13 BOD
14 Bowe
15 Halfpenny

The Lions lineout would be shambles with the combination of Hibbard throwing and no line out caller in there. Gray has varied between disinterested and bone lazy on this tour I wouldn't have him anywhere near the test team. Put Parling in there and you've probably get the team Gatland will name.

Still not sure how fit Corbiserio is though, I think the Lions will get 20 minutes max out of him if he tries to scrummage on a corked calf

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is Phillips injured? Will expect him back if he is fit and Murray on the bench. Youngs was poor.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Lions lineout would be shambles with the combination of Hibbard throwing and no line out caller in there.

For an international lineout it's been below par already. Not much between the Welsh and English hookers I've named IMHO. I thought mop head called lineouts for Scotland

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The mail on the another thread is George Smith is back. Not sure if starting or off the bench, but looks like he will be in the 23. Tantalising prospect.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Also keep in mind that for the last 2 tests, Standing Room tickets have suddenly come on to the market for $70 about 48 hours before kick off. I'd never seen standing tickets sold to Suncorp before so it might happen again this week.

What is the build up like on the ground in Sydney now? Has the Harbour Bridge been lit up all week in Green and Gold?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
For an international lineout it's been below par already. Not much between the Welsh and English hookers I've named IMHO. I thought mop head called lineouts for Scotland .

Jim Hamilton calls the lineouts for the Jocks.

Gatlands game plan depends on solid set piece if either falls to pieces they're gone. I'd pick Parling on the basis that he can at least run a lineout brilliantly, even if he does little else, and that means the Lions should at least win their own ball. I'd shudder to think what would happen if we were left with an in experienced line out caller and a hooker who wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Jim Hamilton calls the lineouts for the Jocks.

Gatlands game plan depends on solid set piece if either falls to pieces they're gone. I'd pick Parling on the basis that he can at least run a lineout brilliantly, even if he does little else, and that means the Lions should at least win their own ball. I'd shudder to think what would happen if we were left with an in experienced line out caller and a hooker who wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat

Rory Best? :)

Next question: who calls lineouts if Parling goes down?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Rory Best? :)

Next question: who calls lineouts if Parling goes down?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .

Good question, reports are we'll be going in with no reserve lock again, so either Croft or AWJ I guess. I'd like to think as the senior forward AWJ would step up and do it

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
For the Wallabies this week, my thoughts.

Smith has to get gametime. Hooper and Gill are awesome players, but nothing they do will make the Lions shit themselves. Bringing Smith on 5-10mins after halftime will give us a mental edge. Picture it, the Aussies in the crowd will go full retard when they see him running out for his last game in gold. Tears will flow.

His reputation will mentally beat the Lions. Defeat them in their mind. Who else do we have who could have that effect? Psychological uppercut to the jaw with 30mins to go.

I'd also have Kimlin on the bench rather than Simmons, so that we psych them out with the dead, soul less stare of an angry ginger giant who wont play for the Wallabies again and has one shot.

I would also play McMeniman off the bench. The 2nd half is going to be absolutely ferocious, and we need big, aggressive, mobile units to dominate it. I"d be inclind to tell Hooper, Douglas and Palu they've got 50 minutes, and then bring Smith, Kimlin and McMeniman on. The lineout gets stronger, Smith gets the crowd really going nuts and puts the fear of god into the Lions, and Kimlin and Madness just get to stand there waiting for the play to start again, with a terrifyingly blank, unblinking expression.

Kimlin:
LiamMHEPphoto.jpg

Madness:
ngbbs4c7bd89131377.jpg

Other than that, no changes. Switch Lealiifano and Beiber, obviously (what kind of fucking idiot would think beiber is still a 10? Oh....right ), but everything else is fine.

Our pack need to spend all week working on breakdown technique to improve their accuracy at the ruck and secure ball, and everyone needs to practice catching the ball, but other than that I'm against any real changes.

Same starting team, but bench of

Slipper
Fainga'a
Kepu (sigh, i'd play Sio)
Kimlin
McMeniman
Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.