• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
First post.
Well done to both sides-- you've made my Sydney tickets an investment payoff.
I'm for keeping the team as is as much as possible; not just to maintain the combinations, but because I think the troops that got us this far deserve their shot at the decider. No-one has had a shocker that should see them benched or dropped, (I would have preferred some positional changes to begin with, but had no major problems with the squad, and wouldn't want to swap things around now..well maybe 12 to 10).
I hope Kev makes it, as he deserves his shot more than most. If not, I'd be very happy to see Simmo run on. He's bettered the rest at Super this year, and has only made one balls-up in 40mins, and that never cost us anything. As other posters have noted-- some players are judged by different standards.. ?Simmo gives away the last penalty, and everyone wants him dropped, whereas if it was Mowen, well make him MOM. And his hard stuff leading up to our try went unnoted
Same with Palu. A quieter second game and he's gone. Yet the much favoured (here) Douglas gets off lightly. Some critics are sending from a mobile while driving (ie "get your hand off it")
I love Gill, but Hooper has not done anything to loose his starting spot. And I love smith, but who would you bench?
Leave the changes for after.

Will Smith come onto the Bench if Horwill is out.. I wouldn't do it I would have Kilmen or MMM but , it could be Smith..

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nice first post Starch

I think Smith is a trump card we have to play. The Lions and their fans will absolutely shit themselves seeing Georgie run on the field with 25 minutes to go. We have really missed Pocock in this series, but smith can do the job well. I think its hard to drop Gill out of the team, but its certainly no insult to lose his spot to a legend of the game. Gill has done what we needed him to do off the bench and he'll continue his apprenticeship over the next 12-18 months.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
SOB will have positives and negatives over Warburton. Positives being he can actually do something with ball in hand, St Sam has been nothing sort of woeful when the Lions have been in possession whilst SOB will tear into the Wallabies on that front.

Their jackling are probably on a par, both have had some huge games in that department and some quiet ones two to be fair they are equally inconsistent on this front.

Where The Dear Leader is ahead is in his discipline (World Cup Semis aside), SOB has a tendency to give away stupid breakdown penalties if things aren't going his way. If SOB is the man I'd tell him not to try and steal ball just ruck over it and make life as difficult for Genia as possible, that way he is probably less likely to give away penalties especially with Poites laissez faire attitude.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Mowen's not a chance in hell of captain surely. Order would be Genia, Moore, Hooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and then Mowen.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I remember people on here saying Horwill shouldn't be the lineout calling as it's too hard to manage both. Plus, lack of Test experience and time with the current group of players.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Mowen Captains and calls at Brumbies. Horwill decided years ago not to call and captain his decision. Different players different attitudes and skills. I think if Horwill goes Genia will captain.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Horwill is out, Simmons is in = lineout caller if Mowen feels he needs to focus on captaining.
And if the team list remains as is, he's played with 8 of the 14 other players for at least a season. Horwill has barely played with Douglas, Mowen, Smith, Tomane, Lealiifano and Folau, should he not be their captain?
But order would most likely be Genia, Smith, Mowen, Moore

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Genia will be Wallaby captain I would think. I would still be happy for Mowen to call the line outs.

With respect to George playing, jeez it would be tempting wouldn't it? It's not like his form wasn't outstanding in Super rugby either. I'd be gutted for Gill or Hooper to miss out though, both have played their part for mine.

P

Paradox

Mowen is a good captain but I don't think he would have called for the scrum like Horwill did. I've cursed his conservative captaincy for the Brums a few times this year.

Give it to Willie G Sanchez. He plays better as a captain.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Mowen is a good captain but I don't think he would have called for the scrum like Horwill did. I've cursed his conservative captaincy for the Brums a few times this year.

Give it to Willie G Sanchez. He plays better as a captain.

Watch the replays. He says 'scrum' to Horwill as does Sanchez.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think this is completely unlikely and entirely unwarranted.

Every single kickoff Palu took he carried securely into contact and we retained the ball comfortably inside our 22. Secure ball is surely what we want out of that situation with the opportunity to clear into touch at the next phase.

He led our forward pack in ruck involvement, ball carries and metres gained.

He had a strong game which involved one error (the offload to no one that was toed through and led to a lineout throw for us).

Indeed. The Lions back row made a combined total of 21 meters compared to 78 meters for the Aus back row, with Hooper and Palu making over 30 meters each. The Lions made a total of 140 running meters. And we want to drop these guys. Insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.