• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I think that these first two tests have shown that the Lions can't just hold on and hope that Halfpenny kicks his goals, its the same approach Wales have failed with on numerous occasions against SH opposition. I'd rather we went and tried to play like we did against in the warm up games and cop a hiding than go into our shells and lose another squeaker.

I thought the first test did show they could. In a penalty dual I'd always put my money on the Lions

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
ANZ confirming there will be a live site at Homebush with bands and a big screen. Good move to keep all the Lions tourists out of the rocks.

there are also a limited number of PLatinum tickets now on sale, so if you missed out and have $300 get on now

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Simmons almost lost us the game giving the last penalty away. He is a tool

As others have pointed out the last penalty was from Mowen. You could also point out that if JOC (James O'Connor) hadn't kicked out on the full from his clearing kick that was passed back into the 22 we wouldn't have been in that position to begin with & also could have cost us the game if Gill didn't cruel that Lions lineout.Also the ruck penalty that gave the Lions possession as the clock was counting down on their 22 (don't recall who was penalised there or what it was for?)

Simmons gets a lot of hate here..... I think the problem is that he doesn't have a great deal of impact from the bench, he's more a starter than a bench player. McMeniman would suit the bench role better in that regard. But Simmons does a hell of a lot in the tight, but of course that goes unnoticed by a lot of pundits here. Palu is also a victim of this.

Also wondering if the playing the ball not the man rule is still in effect around here?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In pretty much every penalty turnover, the ball carrier really hadn't done anything wrong and was tackled in a position close enough to support that we should have retained the ball. Each time we lost the ball because the first and/or second arriving player didn't clean out effectively.

This was my perecption as well.

The same could be said for the criticisms of JOC (James O'Connor) being tackled too often - on most occasions he didn't have a runner in a better position, so he took it into contact and recycled. Exactly what he should have done.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Beale and Moore missed one (I think this was the Connor Murry penalty).

I remember that one distinctly because Murray had just come on at the previous lineout, and in that case Mowen had made huge metres on the blindside, surprising everyone including his support players.

Sometimes you can be too successful over the gain line. Happened to the Tahs against the Lions too when Dennis hit it up inside the 22 but Mitchell wrapped instead of following to contact.

Again, we made huge metres in tight space and got turned over. If we kept it tighter we'd make ground and achieve the old cliche of earning the right to go wide...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
As others have pointed out the last penalty was from Mowen. You could also point out that if JOC (James O'Connor) hadn't kicked out on the full from his clearing kick that was passed back into the 22 we wouldn't have been in that position to begin with & also could have cost us the game if Gill didn't cruel that Lions lineout.Also the ruck penalty that gave the Lions possession as the clock was counting down on their 22 (don't recall who was penalised there or what it was for?)

I had thought it was against Simmons too. Mind you, I was almost going into cardiac arrest at the time so I'm not surprised my memory was faulty.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought the first test did show they could. In a penalty dual I'd always put my money on the Lions

I think a few moments of individual skill aside the Lions have looked toothless in attack, the manner in which Lilo kicked on Saturday I wouldn't give the Lions a massive advantage there.

ANZ confirming there will be a live site at Homebush with bands and a big screen. Good move to keep all the Lions tourists out of the rocks.

Most importantly did they say what beer they'll be serving? Wouldn't want to go there early and have to drink mid or low strength!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also the ruck penalty that gave the Lions possession as the clock was counting down on their 22 (don't recall who was penalised there or what it was for?)

Liam Gill was the ball carrier here and was deemed to not release and was penalised.

Simmons was the player who probably didn't clean out effectively. It was a messy ruck though as it pretty much happened on top of the previous ruck.

I remember that one distinctly because Murray had just come on at the previous lineout, and in that case Mowen had made huge metres on the blindside, surprising everyone including his support players.

Sometimes you can be too successful over the gain line. Happened to the Tahs against the Lions too when Dennis hit it up inside the 22 but Mitchell wrapped instead of following to contact.

Again, we made huge metres in tight space and got turned over. If we kept it tighter we'd make ground and achieve the old cliche of earning the right to go wide.

Whilst Mowen had a good run and made metres, Beale and Moore both had a shot to make a successful clean out on Murray and avoid giving away the penalty and allow us to retain the ball. Neither of them did it effectively.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Most importantly did they say what beer they'll be serving? Wouldn't want to go there early and have to drink mid or low strength!

a man after my own heart, a MOST important point.

quite tempted to make the trip into town for this

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can't see either coach making substantial changes at this stage of the series. There is so much riding on this game that it will be pretty conservative stuff unless one side scores a couple of times early. We might then see thing open up a bit.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I can't see either coach making substantial changes at this stage of the series. There is so much riding on this game that it will be pretty conservative stuff unless one side scores a couple of times early. We might then see thing open up a bit.

It certainly doesn't sound like Deans will from the articles in the SMH today.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I think the Lions realise that they don't have the impregnable set-piece required to just play field position and score penalties. Neither do the Wallabies. My gut feeling is that both teams will go out there looking to blow the game open. Not that either defensive line will be easily broken, but I just don't see the Lions going conservative and crossing their fingers.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

I said this to the wife last week: If the staff at ANZ try to serve luke warm mid strength beer to the lions fans there will be a fucking riot.

I think the tour sponsor Hahn will get the rights to serve Super Dry

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the Lions realise that they don't have the impregnable set-piece required to just play field position and score penalties. Neither do the Wallabies. My gut feeling is that both teams will go out there looking to blow the game open. Not that either defensive line will be easily broken, but I just don't see the Lions going conservative and crossing their fingers.

I actually see the exact opposite happening. I think the Lions will put all their eggs in the set piece basket. They'll put their strongest scrum and line-out on the field at the expense of their ability to attack. Corbs in and maybe even Hibbard. Honestly I think that is their best chance at this stage.

On a side note I thought the Lions got away with some tricky scrummaging on Saturday. When Horwill chose the scrum on the Lions 5 metre line in the 70th minute the Wallabies started to push forward and the Lions loosehead just boared straight in at an angle causing the scrum to lose momentum. Joubs just let it go. I think the Lions often out-smarted us at the scrums on Saturday despite the fact that we had a heavier pack. From what Im reading about this French referee Im a bit anxious that we will get the raw end of the deal this weekend.

If we perform well in the scrum battle this week, I'd like an official declaration from the IRB and from every Six Nations team that Australia has a formidable scrum. Lets end this "Australia cant scrum" myth once and for all. Our top four props have performed strongly so far against 6 of the best the northern hemisphere can musted. Add Sio to the mix (who was solid against the Lions for the brumbies) and we should be seen as a decent scrummaging pack (with depth) heading into the RWC2015. very pleasing

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I actually see the exact opposite happening. I think the Lions will put all their eggs in the set piece basket. They'll put their strongest scrum and line-out on the field at the expense of their ability to attack. Corbs in and maybe even Hibbard. Honestly I think that is their best chance at this stage.

/

Yes, I guess they need to commit one way or the other. If they go for solid scrums and less mobility, though, they will need to defend even better than last week because, as we saw, one try can make all the difference.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This was my perecption as well.

The same could be said for the criticisms of JOC (James O'Connor) being tackled too often - on most occasions he didn't have a runner in a better position, so he took it into contact and recycled. Exactly what he should have done.

You can't be serious. How is it possible that a flyhalf doesn't have a runner in a better position numerous times? I'll grant you there might have been one or two, but most of the time was because he tried to take on the line himself.

Which is why he needs to be utilised wider out - not at one pass off the ruck.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm guessing Horwill will be out. If this is the case I think Simmons will take his spot. I'd be happy with MMM or Kimlin on the bench if this is the case.

I'd like the other one to start with Mowen at 8. I'm not a huge Palu fan. He took almost all of the kick offs and was easily tackled by the first Lion there. Also while he may have worked hard I didn't see the impact at the breakdown. Even his tackling, which I was told was the reason for his selection, wasn't too effective. He always goes high looking for the big hit, part of the team strategy. It didn't work on Saturday night.

I think Gill would be a better starter than Hooper. Gill is on the ball more and will put his head where most people wont. Hooper can come on in the second half and make an impact with his running game against some tired bodies.

I can't see any changes in the backs. We do need to get the ball to Izzy in space more often. Some first phase back line plays that aren't 20m behind the advantage line would be good. Also we tried the cross field kick once. It was misdirected but Folau won it clean. Do the same thing landing the ball 5m out of in the ingoal and it's try time.

I must say that I have been impressed by the commitment of the players in the first 2 tests. This means a lot to them and they will do whatever is required to get the win. I don't know if we've seen this much resolve from a Wallaby team in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.