• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v Argentina, Sept 14th in Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Then why not now? And who would be on it?
Well, having taken on the job mid-season, McKenzie seems to have got himself into all sorts of selection muddles, which as many have said is just shuffling deck chairs around. He needs some breathing space, time to sit down, think who he wants for the future and start to build a coherent team/squad. He may or may not turn out to be the man for the job, but he seems to be chasing shadows at the moment.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
One of the most frustrating things for me personally at this time is that we have some very talented players in the backs but we continue to struggle. I have accepted the fact that it is going to take good deal longer than I hoped to get things sorted and they start to put some runs on the board. I feel the rest of 2013 is going to be a mix of shit but hopefully by the end of it Link has managed to put some aces in the hole by experimenting a little more with some positional changes. If I had a time machine I would love to fast forward to 2015 WC time and take a look at our first-string back line as I suspect it will look very different to what we are discussing at this point in time. What would the 9/10 combination be, will Godwin progress to be a starter in the side, is Folau still at FB, has Beale managed to get his shit sorted, is JOC (James O'Connor) still playing rugby, has Speight become a true-blue-Aussie, will Kurindrani and Mogg develop further??? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Really?

No other names come to mind?

Obviously, but 1998-2002 is when we won everything there was to win. 5 consecutive Bledisloes, a World cup, Lions and a few tri-nations titles. Correct me if i'm wrong but we had Nathan Grey at 12 for most of that period?

As good as Horan was, he actually was part of the team on their way up. Little was excellent as well, but again, was a Smith style player. Fast, intelligent, and good vision.

Horan, for all his skills, wasn't really too dissimilar to Grey, he was just faster and had better footwork. He ran incredibly hard, mostly straight and then used his footwork to change his angle to run another straight line through a hole. In defence, he was a hard shouldered tackler. He played the same style of game; IE he wasn't a 2nd flyhalf, otherwise he'd have been better at 10 when he played there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sigh, what did we win between 1991 and 1998?

A series against the AB's and a series against the Boks for a start. Don't forget that we were still a bloody good side from 1992-1994. At the 95 RWC we carried some blokes who were too old and as a result suffered in that tournament. The following two years were tough, I'll admit, but to say we didn't achieve much after winning the RWC in 1991 is not accurate.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1995 - 1997 weren't great years, but that shouldn't hardly overshadow the two great centre partnerships in Wallaby history that were Horan-Little and Horan-Herbert........

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Horan, for all his skills, wasn't really too dissimilar to Grey, he was just faster and had better footwork. He ran incredibly hard, mostly straight and then used his footwork to change his angle to run another straight line through a hole. In defence, he was a hard shouldered tackler. He played the same style of game; IE he wasn't a 2nd flyhalf, otherwise he'd have been better at 10 when he played there.
Mate that is the difference between a 3rd grader and a pro footballer.

Kuta88

Frank Row (1)
Ben Mowen to be rewarded with the captaincy is a complete joke as he has not performed in the last 3 test matches at playing NO.8
I think McKenzie has made a mistake by leaving him at No.8 for another week.. He should be playing 6

How Ben McCalman is not in the starting side at No.8 is beyond me.... his always one to step up and his work rate when on the field is second to none..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dejavu........

Kuta88's last post on the board 2 years ago:

It's only due to the Queensland reds winning the super 15 title that Samo is even in the squad..

McCalman should be starting at number 8 there is no doubt about it, his work rate is second to none, very rarely does he miss a tackle or make a mistake..
I would much rather a workhorse in my team than someone that does 1 or 2 big things then stays quiet for the rest of the game

Kuta88

Frank Row (1)
Dejavu....

Kuta88's last post on the board 2 years ago:

Slim 293 as you being a brumbies supporter i can see why you might be a little upset with my comment regarding Mowen but can you please give me a reason on why he should get the captaincy and remain at 8 when he has not performed in the past 3 weeks??

Status
Not open for further replies.