• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia v Argentina, Sept 14th in Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I feel like the selection of THP is almost irrelevant in terms of our scrum if Simmons is playing tight head lock.

As has been spelled out, there are so many things wrong with our scrum right now that don't seem to be being addressed.

1. Our best prop in the last five years isn't in the squad.
2. We're playing a loose head lock at tight head lock who isn't known for his scrummaging ability.
3. Our number 8 is shifting his position mid scrum to pick the ball up in the preferred channel whilst our scrum is going backwards and under pressure.
4. Our number 8 is picking the ball up whilst the scrum is under pressure and passing it to our halfback who is about a metre away from him. This is pointless.
Agree that our best prop 5 years ago isn't playing - he has been poor for at least 2 - his scrummaging is good but the whole balance is not good - maybe the 9 needs to be a bit wider in those situations and get rid of it at speed.

Hope White goes well and sparks up the team.

Let the Argies bring their "B" team

wallabies by 8

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree that our best prop 5 years ago isn't playing - he has been poor for at least 2 - his scrummaging is good but the whole balance is not good - maybe the 9 needs to be a bit wider in those situations and get rid of it at speed.

Hope White goes well and sparks up the team.

Let the Argies bring their "B" team

wallabies by 8

maybe the 9 needs to bend his back and pass from the ground a bit

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Couldn't agree more. Been saying this for a long time and will continue to say it.

I have previously used the services of a AFL bloke to teach juniors how to kick. In a couple of sessions, he achieved marked improvements in punting, drop kicks and place kicking.

A country that has a major football code involving movement of an oval football, primarily by kicking, should not have any problems with kicking in other football codes that use ovoid footballs. It really beggars belief and smacks of elitist isolationism that Rugby ignores the potential to be gained from AFL.

Totally agree - funnily enough, a few weeks back with that GAGR article about who has the better kicking style - Lilo or Cruden, which referenced those kicking videos by that Stuart guy, I made the comment (somewhat facetiously perhaps), "Is that the only kicking resource we have?" - i.e. surely this guy should at least be on the payroll.

The response I got was along the lines of Mate, we have plenty of kicking knowledge in-house - Barnes, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Harris and Cooper - plus all the aussie rules fans here in Melbourne.

Brilliant - Wobs backs are having an in-house pow-wow to talk about kicking and getting some tips from random AFL fans. Things are grim.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Alexander can't bend his levers enough for THP to keep his arse down. Always been an issue with him. It doesn't help that he's also lazy with his shoulder after engage, losing the big chest he shows prior to the hit, and folding. He child be so much better and u wonder why, in all his videos, he can't see this and correct it.

The overall fitness of our squad is a query, but they're working twice as hard to retain ball they should be kicking.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With Blades obviously failing badly - even disastrously - as Wallaby set piece coach, let's watch on Saturday and see if we can detect any tell-tale signs that Link has in effect taken over that role himself for scrums, as if so that would represent progress of a kind.

The sooner Link realises that his fate will be governed in significant part by the calibre of his assistant coaches and, inter alia, he thereafter makes a pitch to J White to allow the recruitment of L Fisher as Wallaby forwards coach, the better.

And McKay needs to demonstrate very soon via visible improvements that he can coach and train the types of skills and execution needed for an effective, consistent Wallaby attack or justified doubts will emerge regarding the validity of promoting him to Test level.

Meanwhile, Wallaby kicking from hand and catching remains chronically average to poor, the team desperately needs a full-time kicking coach (ideally from AFL) in the mould of M Byrne.
You'd like to think that a guy who played all his rugby in the front row, would appreciate the importance of the scrum. Based on what we've seen at the Reds in the last couple of years, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a dominant scrum just yet either.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
We are about to see a stack of similar come from Mr Rabbit and his team, regardless of the state of the books or the economy, or the health, education, defence, or foreign affairs situation.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Good article, and it's precisely why i've been pushing the McCabe/Fainga'a in ONE of the centre positions for years. We have an entire backline full of attacking players, why should we not have at least ONE player who is an expert at the flip side of the game? One we spend at least 50% of the time doing?

Who cares if they're a bit average with ball in hand, they were certainly never worse than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on Saturday night, and the spine they bring in defense to our backline is worth much more than just another hot-stepping back who runs sideways trying to find space.

The whole thing is about balance, and I would put a lot of money on Fainga'a being one of the centres right now if he wasn't injured. Link understands the need for a defensive leader to organise everyone, it's just as important as a flyhalf who can organise the backs in attack.

Unfortunately, both of our defensive general centres are injured, and we're seeing the result of that in shipping 30+ points a game.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I agree with the Fainga'a/McCabe argument, and always have. But it would have to be at 13 and not 12, I'd much prefer a ball playing 12

Rob Horne.....why not, the only time he has ever genuinely warranted Wallabies selection, HE DOES NOT GET IN THE SQUAD.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Good article, and it's precisely why i've been pushing the McCabe/Fainga'a in ONE of the centre positions for years. We have an entire backline full of attacking players, why should we not have at least ONE player who is an expert at the flip side of the game? One we spend at least 50% of the time doing?

Who cares if they're a bit average with ball in hand, they were certainly never worse than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on Saturday night, and the spine they bring in defense to our backline is worth much more than just another hot-stepping back who runs sideways trying to find space.

The whole thing is about balance, and I would put a lot of money on Fainga'a being one of the centres right now if he wasn't injured. Link understands the need for a defensive leader to organise everyone, it's just as important as a flyhalf who can organise the backs in attack.

Unfortunately, both of our defensive general centres are injured, and we're seeing the result of that in shipping 30+ points a game.
We want better defenders in our backline and we pick Quade??? (I'm not saying you advocated QC (Quade Cooper))

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
McCabe or Fainga'a cannot be in the same back-line as a road block like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree with the Fainga'a/McCabe argument, and always have. But it would have to be at 13 and not 12, I'd much prefer a ball playing 12

Rob Horne...why not, the only time he has ever genuinely warranted Wallabies selection, HE DOES NOT GET IN THE SQUAD.

No idea RE the Butcher.

However, i'd much prefer the defensive back at 12. Two reasons.

1. Attack. There must be someone straightening the attack, and I think it's best for that at 12. Just look at NZ. They've been dominant with Nonu as a battering ram in the 12 channel. No one drifts off him, and that opens up space for Smith to use intelligently. Aus were at their best with nathan Grey at 12, and Herbert at 13, in exactly the same style of set up. NZ at the time had ball playing 12s and they paid for it, because they had to either straighten at 13 or run out of space.
After Grey, we went to Giteau with the battering ram at 13, and hey presto we failed to win anything for the following decade.
People give McCabe shit for his time in gold, but consider this: The Reds wont eh Super 14 with Fainga'a at 12, and then the Wallabies won the tri-nations with hard tackling, straight running centres.

2 Defence. If your 12 is the general, the 13's job is easier. If your 12 isn't an aggressive, dominant defender then the 13'sjob is much harder because there are more options to consider. If the opposition 12 is under pressure, his passing is going to be worse or he'll drop back a bit deeper and play behind the gainline. This allows the 13 to get up and make OFFENSIVE tackles, which create turnovers, the number one source of tries in rugby. A centre partnership of a McCabe/Fainga'a and then O'Connor at 13 is the best mix of players for this style. O'Connor was noticed as a 12, and moved to wing. I say combine them and let him attack the front line in the centres, but do it outside a 12 who runs like a panicked wilderbeast at his opposite and force the inside defenders to hold a bit before drifting. O'Connor hitting the opposition in their 13 channel, with the likes of Beale, Folau, Speight or Mogg running off his shoulder would cause any 13 in the world to wake up in a cold sweat.

However, it only works if the 12 is direct, as the opposition must stay tight, and if they drift early to try and cover the 13 and support runners, the flyhalf simply pops a short ball onto the 12's chest to just charge upfield and smash through and weak or prematurely-drifting defenders.

I'd also pick Lealiifano as the 10 for all this as he already has combinations with both Ant and Pat, and is the best all-round 10 we have. He also only truly steps up into his full potential when he's at 10 and forced to be the backlines leader, we saw that with the Brumbies scintillating form last year.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What is wrong with Lilos defence? He and Godwin are the allround 12s to go forward. I would love to see Izzy at 13 at some point. CFS is few years away and Kuridrani will continue to improve.

Far less worried about the back stocks than i am the forwards.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
On the topic, Bob Dwyer just saying he'd like to see Izzy have crack at 12 in the future (not now though). And kind of hinted he'd like to see Lilo at 10 and Kuridrani at 12 sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.