• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

If you're calling people out for parochialism as the root of their dislike for KB (Kurtley Beale) then you're probably glossing over the extent of bad headlines he has generated for Australian rugby.

His past issues have been discussed to death so there's no point bringing them up again, but he has a lot to prove and he will cop a fair bit criticism this season..

It's up to Kurtkey to sway the public opinion back into his favour, through his performances on the field and his behaviour off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If you're calling people out for parochialism as the root of their dislike for KB (Kurtley Beale) then you're probably glossing over the extent of bad headlines he has generated for Australian rugby.

His past issues have been discussed to death so there's no point bringing them up again, but he has a lot to prove and he will cop a fair bit criticism this season..

It's up to Kurtkey to sway the public opinion back into his favour, through his performances on the field and his behaviour off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would have also helped his cause if he hadn't been given a leg up by his provincial coach by bringing him into the EOYT mid-way when there weren't any deficiencies or injuries to cover. But, of course, that's my very narrow parochial viewpoint.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^That's a fair point BR and many of us made it at the time, however it happened.

We seem to have all strayed well off topic though:)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How long will the snide comments every time Beale's name gets mentioned on the forum be persisted with by the various people responsible?

People's views on him are pretty clear. Some people are obviously going to dislike the guy forever. It's getting pretty tiresome reading those comments every time his name gets mentioned on the forum.

He's been re-signed for 2015, he's going to play for the Tahs and he'll probably play for the Wallabies this year. Are the comments going to continue all year?

Until he goes a whole year without being a dick (he hasn't done that for at least three years) he simply deserves all the shit he gets.

This is all self inflicted IMHO and it is up to him to fix it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But perhaps it's time to either reopen the KB (Kurtley Beale) thread so discussion is confined to there, or give it a rest.:)

Any other news about players heading overseas?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How long will the snide comments every time Beale's name gets mentioned on the forum be persisted with by the various people responsible?

People's views on him are pretty clear. Some people are obviously going to dislike the guy forever. It's getting pretty tiresome reading those comments every time his name gets mentioned on the forum.

He's been re-signed for 2015, he's going to play for the Tahs and he'll probably play for the Wallabies this year. Are the comments going to continue all year?

They do/did for QC (Quade Cooper) and Beiber Boy.
I reckon we (Tahs fans) deserve it and as fans i think we all need to keep reminding the players that we expect better from them off the field than we got in 2014.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
loneranger_tonto.jpg

The Lone Ranger and Tonto find themselves after a long exhausting horse ride staring up at canyon walls filled with hostile Apache warriors. The Lone Ranger sensing the impending doom, turns to Tonto, his faithful Indian scout, and says "What do WE do now Tonto?" Tonto slowly turns towards to the Lone Ranger, thinks of his Indian brothers and says "What do you mean WE, kemosabe?":)

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
loneranger_tonto.jpg

The Lone Ranger and Tonto find themselves after a long exhausting horse ride staring up at canyon walls filled with hostile Apache warriors. The Lone Ranger sensing the impending doom, turns to Tonto, his faithful Indian scout, and says "What do WE do now Tonto?" Tonto slowly turns towards to the Lone Ranger, thinks of his Indian brothers and says "What do you mean WE, kemosabe?":)

Or "What's this WE shit, paleface?"

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think it's a reality of professionalism and globalisation. The only way to change things is to have more money to pay people.

Maybe the fact that we're losing more young players overseas is a sign that our development pathways are getting better.

Ah the development pathway so we can assist other pro comps around the would - great nursery.

If the ARU neglect our grass roots I have concerns about the foundations.

I have greater concern about the overseas teams picking aspiring players pushing for super rugby, especially when they are still in colts.

These are the players of our future, and the competition that lifts the quality of our game.

Ahh the development pathway, our nursery.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's the nature of professionalism. Players with talent will seek out the professional contracts available. Many of these will be overseas.

The only way to avoid that is to be a sport like AFL that isn't played elsewhere.

I don't think young players signing overseas contracts has anything to do with the ARU neglecting the grass roots or the development pathway.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It's the nature of professionalism. Players with talent will seek out the professional contracts available. Many of these will be overseas.

The only way to avoid that is to be a sport like AFL that isn't played elsewhere.

I don't think young players signing overseas contracts has anything to do with the ARU neglecting the grass roots or the development pathway.
I don't have a simple fix, and wasn't wanting to contradict what you are saying.

Suggesting we need to look at global mgmt of players, but how I don't know.

Foundations need to be looked after so we are strong at the top.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We will probably never be able to keep everyone in Australia as there is simply more money in France and the UK. We can maybe keep more here by expanding the base and thus bringing more money into rugby in Australia. That's going to take quite a while though.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
We will probably never be able to keep everyone in Australia as there is simply more money in France and the UK. We can maybe keep more here by expanding the base and thus bringing more money into rugby in Australia. That's going to take quite a while though.

The only way, IMO, is through successful global expansion of the SANZAR competitions. Best case scenario is the Japanese super rugby team is a huge success and all the giant corporations of Japan and elsewhere in Asia start throwing money at Super Rugby.

Then including Japan and America into the Rugby Championship and building that up into a big global event that attracts increasingly massive broadcast and sponsorship deals.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's what I'm hoping too. Super Rugby can generate a shit load of revenue if the new competition takes off in Asia and Argentina and then further expansion into North America. The UK already contributes a decent amount for rights. This is where rugby has it over AFL/NRL where they only get revenue from Aus and NZ.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's what I'm hoping too. Super Rugby can generate a shit load of revenue if the new competition takes off in Asia and Argentina and then further expansion into North America. The UK already contributes a decent amount for rights. This is where rugby has it over AFL/NRL where they only get revenue from Aus and NZ.

There are a couple of different groups planning to start professional competitions in America in the next couple of years. Maybe in 10 years these competitions could become conferences of Super Rugby. Though they may just stay separate.

Either way I fully expect to see the USA, Canada and Japan as part of the Rugby Championship at some point in the next decade. Hopefully also the Pacific Islands - either separately or as a combined team.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The only way, IMO, is through successful global expansion of the SANZAR competitions. Best case scenario is the Japanese super rugby team is a huge success and all the giant corporations of Japan and elsewhere in Asia start throwing money at Super Rugby.

Then including Japan and America into the Rugby Championship and building that up into a big global event that attracts increasingly massive broadcast and sponsorship deals.

Seeing that way, Aussie teams must lose against the Japanese team in 2016. :p

T

TOCC

Either way I fully expect to see the USA, Canada and Japan as part of the Rugby Championship at some point in the next decade. Hopefully also the Pacific Islands - either separately or as a combined team.

I see none of that occuring..

Next broadcast agreement will take place in 5 years, none of those teams(Japan, USA, Canada) will be good enough to compete with the SANZAR teams by then.
The Pacific Nations team was a failure, not from a performance perspective but the off-field support.. The model was experimented with and won't come back again, the individual nations did't like it..They want to represent their individual nations.

The best way forward for Japan, USA and Canada is though the Pacific Nations Cup model, they are all of a similar standard and hopefully this competition can grow into something of value. The Pacific nation teams just need extra exposure against the Tier 1 teams, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa should all be playing at least 1 test against one of these teams each year.