• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Player Exodus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its actually just a South African thing, they have historically numbered their open-sides as 6's and their blindsides as 7's.

Not really, remember White played Vaea at 7 for the Brumbies instead of an openside. Jake White has never viewed fetchers very highly, preferring size in all of his backrow positions. When White coached the Boks he had similar tendencies, often overlooking fetchers for bigger players.

This is French rugby though, and they still often play left and right flankers.

Ouedraogo played 6 in this game and is named at 7 just as often as he's named at 6 so it's probably halfway between being a South African convention and not playing a fetcher.

Given the way they both play, they could have been numbered 6 and 6A ;)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What about this?

Time for some exceptional thinking, ARU

News out of England this week suggests the Rugby Football Union may activate its "exceptional circumstances
" clause with regards to foreign eligibility, affording Toulon star Steffon Armitage the chance to play at Rugby World Cup 2015. It may not yet be a done deal but the conversation has dragged on for some time and now it seems as though the path will be cleared for the five-Test back-rower, whose England hiatus could come to an end when Stuart Lancaster names his initial 40-man World Cup squad.
Australia and New Zealand - the other two nations who will not consider overseas-based players for Test selection - on the other hand, show no sign of abandoning their foreign protocols ahead of this year's global showpiece.
New Zealand, with their glorious playing depth, do not need to make such a change. Aside from the injury-prone Richard Kahui, who is plying his trade in Japan, the country's top talent is spread across the five Super Rugby franchises; All Blacks coach Steve Hansen is sure to have a few headaches come selection time, but he won't be cursing the Euro or Yen.
Australia, however, look to be a different story. While the common belief is the Australian Rugby Union's laws on foreign eligibility serve the best interests of the local game, a steady stream of talent heading off-shore has some, such as Greg Growden
, questioning whether those same protocols need to be relaxed. The ARU has already altered its stance on sabbaticals, permitting a select number of players a "flexible contract" if they commit themselves to Australian rugby long-term. But should they go a step further and enact an "exceptional circumstances" clause, such as that upon which Armitage is relying?
The term "exceptional circumstances" is non-descript and wonderfully ambiguous, and there are two separate cases that suggest the ARU should write such a clause for the betterment of Australia's World Cup hopes.
The Wallabies' backline stocks received an added boost on Tuesday when James O'Connor fronted the media in Brisbane, spruiking the "changed man
" line after 18 months away with London Irish and Toulon. But the backline has never been a problem; anyone who watched the Wallabies' last outing for 2014, at Twickenham, can attest to that. Those same people will tell you the problem is in the Wallabies' tight-five.
Just an hour or so from where the Wallabies were beaten up - legally or illegally - at scrum time, Salesi Ma'afu
has built a reputation as one of the Aviva Premiership's finest props and a key contributor to the Saints' maiden title in 2014.
"There have been low points for Ma'afu - his red card in the semi-final for the punch on Tom Youngs was disgraceful - but his peaks far outweigh the troughs," ESPN Associate Editor Tom Hamilton said. "In his two seasons at the Saints, he has established himself as one of the premier tight-heads in the premiership and an essential cog in their premiership-winning team. That Toulon see him as the ideal replacement for Carl Hayman is testament to his ever-rising stock."
Ma'afu left Australia with 14 Tests to his name, but he was seemingly well down the prop pecking order. Two years on, his reputation has sky-rocketed and his experience in English conditions would surely help an under-fire Wallabies scrum.Kane Douglas comes over the top of Andy Goode, Leinster v Wasps, Dublin, October 19, 2014Kane Douglas is slowly finding his feet at Leinster © Getty ImagesEnlarge

Kane Douglas
, meantime, is just five months into a stint with Irish club Leinster after departing Australian rugby at the peak of his powers following New South Wales Waratahs' Super Rugby triumph. He has made a slow start, but the consensus suggests the 14-Test lock is starting to find his feet.
"I think it takes time when you come to a new team," Douglas told thescore.ie
"You've got to adjust to different calls and the different people you're playing around. I do feel a bit more comfortable the last few weeks and hopefully I can just get better.
"You spend a bit more time in the scrums and lineouts, that stuff. I was sort of chatting to Matt after games and saying 'I'm feeling pretty stuffed. I was probably just as fit as I was [at the Tahs], but you probably need to be even fitter, especially forwards, because you're using a fair bit of energy up at the set-pieces."

http://www.espnscrum.com/2015-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/252393.html

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
6 out of 23 isnt really a strong argument, particularly given the poor quality of the games across the league in Australia - this is a historical issue and one that still has not been addressed since the 80's. the best football players all head overseas because that's where the better football is (as well as the euros or pounds) and that's how to get into the yellow jersey.

6 out of 23 local players in the squad is probably quite a high number.

It's also potentially a reflection of the current weakness of Australian soccer. We're at our lowest all time ranking. If the team was stronger, perhaps all these players would be playing overseas on more lucrative contracts in higher quality leagues.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I should mention I'm actually all for picking overseas players for a World Cup but not for anything else, it would possibly stop the drain cycle right after World Cups.

Mail around is Rob Horne is the latest off the Munster.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am far from convinced that form in the NH is the equivalent of Super rugby form. I know that we are short on the ground for top class tight five players, but I for one would need to see someone like Ma'afu prove himself back here in Super rugby before even thinking he is a chance. I sincerely hope there is no change in the ARU's stance concerning overseas players.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am far from convinced that form in the NH is the equivalent of Super rugby form. I know that we are short on the ground for top class tight five players, but I for one would need to see someone like Ma'afu prove himself back here in Super rugby before even thinking he is a chance. I sincerely hope there is no change in the ARU's stance concerning overseas players.

In Super Rugby the scrum isn't too important, there isn't the obsession that exists in Europe.

Do you remember the last game at Twickenham? The Poms didn't want to get the ball out of the scrum, they just wanted to force penalties. We need a TH prop like Ma'afu to play against them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuck there are a few on here who've forgotten just how shit Ma'afu was for the wallabies.
Calling for his return is cruel and unusual punishment.

I don't remember him as shit in the scrums at all. Go on Sully tell us how many Northampton games you've watched recently. They have one of the best scrums in Europe.

He'd be better than Alexander or Faulkner at TH in a Test match. He can hold a scrum up.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't remember him as shit in the scrums at all. Go on Sully tell us how many Northampton games you've watched recently. They have one of the best scrums in Europe.

He'd be better than Alexander or Faulkner at TH in a Test match. He can hold a scrum up.

Can't say that I remember him being especially good at scrum time or in the open for the Brumbies, and I certainly don't remember the Wallabies' scrum being world dominant (or even anywhere near it) with him at TH.

I would be ready to concede that he has improved if he comes back some time and shows that improvement consistently in the Super comp.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I never said he was dominant or in fact good. He was average, capable, mediocre. That's all we need. Right now our current backups THs are shit.

Like I said, why does he need to prove himself against SA, Aus and NZ players in Super Rugby when we're looking at needing him against Wales and England? He plays against English looseheads all the time in the Premiership.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can't say that I remember him being especially good at scrum time or in the open for the Brumbies, and I certainly don't remember the Wallabies' scrum being world dominant (or even anywhere near it) with him at TH.

I would be ready to concede that he has improved if he comes back some time and shows that improvement consistently in the Super comp.

Ok, Ma'afu is a shit in the open. I want him against England and Wales. Poms never use the open against Wallabies because they would be crushed. To face the Poms and the Welsh Wallabies need a strong rock, not a fit TH prop. ;)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I never said he was dominant or in fact good. He was average, capable, mediocre. That's all we need. Right now our current backups THs are shit.

Like I said, why does he need to prove himself against SA, Aus and NZ players in Super Rugby when we're looking at needing him against Wales and England? He plays against English looseheads all the time in the Premiership.

Ummmm...NZ and SA are ranked No. 1 and 2 in the world. Eng and Wales are 4th & 6th. I know who I would rather rate players against.

BTW, who cares if Higgers goes?! He's pretty average at Test level anyway and he's not prepared to stick around and either fight for a Wallaby spot or cement it, find someone else who is.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I thought it was agreed that 'Ma'afood' was the worst Australian prop in recent memory. I'm bewildered by the change in perception.

Frankly, Mourad Boudjellal has more money than sense to bring him in as a replacement to Carl Hayman.

Trust in Ben Alexander to come good!

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely I can't be the only one scratching his head over props and how they get rated?

A couple of blokes who are universally rated as pretty ordinary by everyone in Aussie rugby (except their Super Rugby team supporters) go North and within a couple of years are being hailed as the greatest thing since bottled beer, and gods gift to scrummaging. They could barely hold a scrum up here.

WTF?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Can you direct me to the official world scrum rankings?
If there are no official rankings then NZ can't be No. 1 in the world. :)

Unofficially and anecdotally their scrum is also several rungs below the peak.

And as far as Ma'afu wearing No. 3 is concerned in this discussion, he doesn't have to be the No. 1 scrummager in the world either. - He only needs to be in the top three for the Wallabies.

And, to be frank, that wouldn't be especially difficult.

Having said that, this line of discussion is nothing more than summertime off-season filler for bored rugby nerds and tragics. Good or not, the bloke isn't eligible for selection within the current policy. So it's come on down . . . Ben Alexander!

The existing pack can get some improvement anyway (and they'll have to) by putting a lot of work in over the next 6+ months. When does the new scrum guru lob up?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought it was agreed that 'Ma'afood' was the worst Australian prop in recent memory. I'm bewildered by the change in perception.

Frankly, Mourad Boudjellal has more money than sense to bring him in as a replacement to Carl Hayman.

Trust in Ben Alexander to come good!

Well, no one could actually, literally replace Hayman