• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Player Exodus

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Apart from the potential to strengthen the national team, picking overseas based players would have the additional - albeit, slight - benefit of making them less attractive to the NH poaching scum.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Apart from the potential to strengthen the national team, picking overseas based players would have the additional - albeit, slight - benefit of making them less attractive to the NH poaching scum.

The wages for Argentine Internationals dropped after they where entered into the Rugby Championship. Became less valuable as they would be missing for an International.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He is a bigh loss and Australian rugby needs to be prepared for this happening more not less. Which is why the NRC must succeed.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
I usually cheer for Toulon, but since they faced a Jake White side, I had to cheer for Montpellier. I then realized they also had a few Aussies in the team. Benny Mowen, Benny Lucas and maybe Timani. Also Renny Ranger in the side.
I guess I found my 2nd French team to cheer for. Ben Mowen had the #7 shirt. Best of luck to Mr Jake White.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ben Mowen at seven sounds like classic Jake White. You can take that any way you want, just a comment on what White likes in his flankers.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We'll you cannot blame Higgers - the familiar catch cry of I'm doing it for family reasons like Mowen and Badger will surface or honesty will probably prevail for Scott -- I was offered a shitload so took it.

He is waiting until end of RWC
Unconfirmed but he's looking at seven figures per year and that is without decimals.

It just a shame we cannot keep blokes like this,

The ARU brains trust need to pull their collective fingers out and do something positive for the game - that is allegedly why they are paid the big bucks

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Haha no way he's getting 7 figures.

What do you mean the ARU must do something? It's out of their hands. It's the reality of the situation. Look at the Socceroos, are there even any A-League players in the team? I'm sure the FFA would like the best AUs players in the A-league but the best players are going to go where the money is..

He leaves, someone replaces him.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
6 or so in the Asian Cup Squad.

Milligan (Victory ©), McKay (Brisbane ©), Galekovic (Adelaide ©), Spiranovic (Wanderers), Burns (Wellington), and Antonis (Sydney).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Haha no way he's getting 7 figures.

What do you mean the ARU must do something? It's out of their hands. It's the reality of the situation. Look at the Socceroos, are there even any A-League players in the team? I'm sure the FFA would like the best AUs players in the A-league but the best players are going to go where the money is..

He leaves, someone replaces him.
The ARU mandate is about nurturing the game in Australia, providing opportunities for young players and giving the supporters a great product,
The ARU needs to access money money and money, that shitty stuff greases the wheels obviously in the professional era.
Of course players are not expendable - someone always steps up . Whether the replacement is as good is another question.

The classic case ATM in Australian rugby is the front row reserves - they are a mile away from the starters

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
How is Berrick Barnes doing in Japan? What are the odds of him turning out for the Japanese in a few years? Do the 7's thing, qualify for their national squad?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think he's been reported as the best player in the league there. Can we stop with this 7s loophole thing, it's not happening.

The ARU mandate is about nurturing the game in Australia, providing opportunities for young players and giving the supporters a great product,
The ARU needs to access money money and money, that shitty stuff greases the wheels obviously in the professional era.
Of course players are not expendable - someone always steps up . Whether the replacement is as good is another question.

The classic case ATM in Australian rugby is the front row reserves - they are a mile away from the starters

So I'm not sure what you're solution is?

T

TOCC

Ben Mowen at seven sounds like classic Jake White. You can take that any way you want, just a comment on what White likes in his flankers.

Its actually just a South African thing, they have historically numbered their open-sides as 6's and their blindsides as 7's.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Qwerty
Mate I do not know the answer - there are blokes much more qualified than me and I would have thought that the ARU employs some on big dollars. If something isn't done then Australia will become a breeding ground for overseas teams.
Players will achieve their lifelong rugby goal of wearing the Green & Gold and then chase the dollars. If they get multiples of their Aussie contracts they will go.

Time will tell on Higgers' contract. But it is HUGE

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Its actually just a South African thing, they have historically numbered their open-sides as 6's and their blindsides as 7's.

Not really, remember White played Vaea at 7 for the Brumbies instead of an openside. Jake White has never viewed fetchers very highly, preferring size in all of his backrow positions. When White coached the Boks he had similar tendencies, often overlooking fetchers for bigger players.

This is French rugby though, and they still often play left and right flankers.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
6 or so in the Asian Cup Squad.

Milligan (Victory ©), McKay (Brisbane ©), Galekovic (Adelaide ©), Spiranovic (Wanderers), Burns (Wellington), and Antonis (Sydney).

6 out of 23 isnt really a strong argument, particularly given the poor quality of the games across the league in Australia - this is a historical issue and one that still has not been addressed since the 80's. the best football players all head overseas because that's where the better football is (as well as the euros or pounds) and that's how to get into the yellow jersey.