• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Aussie Player Exodus

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
IRFU won't allow a international TH to be signed, they didn't allow a Munster signing so that means Leinster can't or there will be a complete war from the other 3 provinces.
Kevin, how tolerant are Irish rugby fans of the system that favours Leinster? Is it accepted as long as the national team performs?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kevin, how tolerant are Irish rugby fans of the system that favours Leinster? Is it accepted as long as the national team performs?
IRFU have made some changes to make it a bit harder for Leinster, but Munster and Ulster fans are not happy about it still. But they do kind of accept it because Ireland is still doing well and the Irish teams are still stronger then most in Europe. If Munster and Ulster were failing in the group stages of the Heineken Cup every year i'd say there would be more uproar.

At the same time, as a die hard Munster fan I wasn't complaining when we had Howlett, Tupoki, Mafi and Williams all at once. So can't be to big of a ass about it. I'd just like to see a clearer message from IRFU so teams don't go chasing players they can't have, these are the positions of national interest so you can't recruit foreign players here. But you can for these places etc.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Anyone thinking the majority of good players from the Rebels will fall into the other franchises needs their head rung. It’s 2024 and not 2004

RA and the media have been pushing hard for all these rebels players to align with the Waratahs… wouldn’t not be suprised if there was a few take it or leave it contracts on the tables and the qld rebel players will look elsewhere

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
No one really thought that they would.
Been reading the hearing different things to me. The line Australia hasn’t got enough depth and reducing a team will improve competition for places in squads and improve depth, has been used countless times.

Horan saying it every time he’s on tv

• Sad
Reactions: dru

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Been reading the hearing different things to me. The line Australia hasn’t got enough depth and reducing a team will improve competition for places in squads and improve depth, has been used countless times.

Horan saying it every time he’s on tv
Yeah but Horan isn't particularly big brained...

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interested that Mark Evans on the Eggonomics podcast (very very good for those interested in business of rugby) said that any organising that doesn’t know their roster 18months in advance is destined for failure. I immediately thought of all the Aus Super Rugby sides.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Interested that Mark Evans on the Eggonomics podcast (very very good for those interested in business of rugby) said that any organising that doesn’t know their roster 18months in advance is destined for failure. I immediately thought of all the Aus Super Rugby sides.
Good in theory, but somewhat hard to achieve in practice for professional sport where the contracting environment, wants and needs of both players and clubs, injury landscape, etc. are so dynamic. The same goes for any business for that matter.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think that's particulalry fair. Have a look at the conversation in the Red's 2024 thread right now. There are something like 25 players already signed to end of 2025. They know what their roster looks like. From here it's just adjustment round the edges

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
Is that a bit of hyperbole though? Most players who switch teams don’t switch 18 months out.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Maybe look beyond the Rebels and Tahs. Brumbies have been best practice at this for years, Reds not far behind. Sorry to be negative about your negativity.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No one really thought that they would.
Ahhh. C'mon D. Every Rebels player with a bit of talent has been linked to other Aussie Super Rugby teams, often multiple ones. Seems the Brumbies are the only team destined to lose players and have the quality of their squad reduced for 2025.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Interesting, was talking to mate over in Aus last week, and we wondered where Carter would end up, as most squads have good young 10s don't they?
I was happy to come over and be back up for Canes, being an open minded type fella, ;)