• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

Danny Weidler is right, Inglis wouldn't have to work around the clock stopping his mates from pissing in their mouths, having fellatio with dogs, shitting in shoes, hiding in cupboards whilst mates are having sex, dealing drugs and match fixing their own games....

Sheesh, if the only work Inglis had to do each week was turn up, train and play then he would be a happy man and completely unstoppable.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Rising Manly halfback Fabian Natoli off to Bordeaux.
If I was a French rugby fan, I would be humiliated that they havent even got enough local talent to fill 10% of their required playing stocks.
Their national team was a disgrace and their clubs are pillaging world rugby.
fluffybunnys.

T

TOCC

I read an article the other day which said 46% of the players in the Top 14 aren't eligible to represent France, something is definitely broken in French Rugby if its cheaper to recruit players from all over the world then it is to develop their own.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Rising Manly halfback Fabian Natoli off to Bordeaux.
If I was a French rugby fan, I would be humiliated that they havent even got enough local talent to fill 10% of their required playing stocks.
Their national team was a disgrace and their clubs are pillaging world rugby.
fluffybunnys.
Don't hold back champ, let it rip, well said.
Whose that other bloke on the Rays Facebook page doing the interview, looks a bit like the handsome bloke that appears to the left of all your posts.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The Top 14 in France is fast becoming rugby's version of the English Premier League.
In the last couple of years teams including Arsenal have taken the field without a single English player.
There may be some "French resistance"by the FFR, but they will not be able to help themselves with all the Euro's coming their way for showcasing the world's best available players.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
46% of the Top 14 still gives the French a bigger pool to choose from than either Aus or NZ (or any test nation other than England for that matter) but with the way their recruitment is going that won't be the case for too much longer.

The fact that we're also seeing a big increase in foreign recruitment in D2 doesn't bode well for the long term prospects of French rugby. There's nothing wrong with having a core of local talent complimented with some imports. As long as the imports serve to raise the standards of the local players.

When the situation reverses it's very hard to recover. Just ask Scotland how well that's working out for them at present.

The other worrying thing is that there isn't an exodus of talented French players who can't get game time in France looking to play first team rugby overseas. This would suggest that the 54% is about as much as France can produce.

That's still roughly 300-340 French players playing top 14. Realistically though many of those are watching on from the sidelines as the expensive imports do the actual playing.

It's certainly a worrying time to be a French Rugby fan given that the trend doesn't look like reversing any time soon.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
A talented spruiker and great team man. A sad loss to Aus rugby.

that's a big loss. not just for on field performance but his following more broadly. i know afl followers here who know and love the badge despite not normally watching much rugby.

hopefully he heads back to the force for super rugby as well...?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Totally agree. Him and Izzy are the faces of the Wallabies and it's a shame his contract offer doesn't reflect it.

He's never set the world alight on the field, but in this day and age the idea of a player's "package" offering is almost as important.

I'd love to have someone document his life in Japan. Ocker bloke from rural WA meets hyper-urban Tokyo (insert Japanese city). What a culture clash!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wow! Only just read this re Nick Cummins leaving, fuck me I'm pretty old school but can't really understand this one. Money is obviously important but what about winning a world cup with your country whilst still on pretty good money by any1s definition. The blokes favourite past time is fucking fishing for god sake.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Badger Gone! ouch.

That sucks. I'm a big fan. On the field the Wallabies can replace him (Speight, JOC (James O'Connor), Tomane), but not off the field. One of the few rugby players that is known to the mainstream public in Australia.

The ARU clearly just don't get it at times. This is just more evidence that the ARU's "lets do nothing" policy in relation to overseas recruitment is a broken policy. It is clear that the wallabies carrot really only works for those players who are confident they would be in the starting 15 of the wallabies (so it works for about 15 players). Mowen clearly had concerns that he wouldn't be selected in the coming years. Douglas probably the same. Badger obviously saw the likes of Speight and JOC (James O'Connor) becoming available and thought that he could no longer guarantee a spot in the starting side.

I actually like the idea suggested in the recent article written of G&GR (cant remember who the author was) of lobbying to the IRB to introduce Transfer fees. If the ARU received a transfer fee every time an Australian player was recruited overseas, it would not only be a big boost financially, but would also allow them to keep more talent in Australia. The best suggestion yet I thought. Although getting the IRB on board could be easier said than done.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually like the idea suggested in the recent article written of G&GR (cant remember who the author was) of lobbying to the IRB to introduce Transfer fees. If the ARU received a transfer fee every time an Australian player was recruited overseas, it would not only be a big boost financially, but would also allow them to keep more talent in Australia. The best suggestion yet I thought. Although getting the IRB on board could be easier said than done.

This again?

Transfer fees just encourage the contract holder to sell their player before their contract expires because otherwise you get nothing if the player leaves off contract.

What is the ARU meant to do? None of the players leaving would be eligible for a sabbatical as per any eligibility rules people have suggested.

Opening up Wallaby selection to include foreign based players opens a huge can or worms. It could just make more people leave undermining Super Rugby.

It also becomes very hard to measure players against each other.

T

Train Without a Station

Fucking hell. How many times does this transfer fee get incorrectly proposed. Transfer fees only apply to the transfer of under contract players. These are out of contract players. No legal constraint can be applied on their movement. It would be a restraint of trade.

Also, it's not evidence they don't get it. It's evidence they don't have the money to do anything more.

Currently the ARU are doing what they can to increase the profile of the code which will lead to making more money. That's all that they can do.