• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Gee I see a lot of criticism toward To'omua and his lack of effect in attack and play making. Most of it justified.

BUT what about Foley?

He hasn't done much better and he is the chief play-maker after all. Not sure why the 12 is being crucified but the 10 who should be doing most of the play-making is okay. If our back-line isn't flowing I would say the first person to look at is the 10.

I'm not saying it's totally Foley's fault To'omua isn't firing, but he is partly to blame. I think the combination of Foley and To'omua just isn't working. Both are to blame.

Solution? No idea. Wait for Cooper to come back, if you call that a solution.

yeah, he has been safe and hasn't really fucked up..he's hardly a Lynagh or Larkham though..

I just want to clarify my view on To'omua is that I see him as a long term 10/12 for us but in the TRC his execution has been both shithouse and costly..every other attribute about him is excellent, execution is correctable..I do concur that the Brumbies need to play him at 12 if he is to stay there for the Wobs, or conversely the Wallabies use him at 10..therein is the root of his problems this TRC..

I see 10-15 points improvement in the team collectively through Cooper if he finds form, Genia the same, Speight and JOC (James O'Connor)..that's if we can get them all on the field at the same time of course and in form..add to that Moore/TPN, Palu and the Pocock of old and we have a serious team..lots of stars need to align there, but plenty of upside.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What can be done to manage fatigue? 2 weeks off then back to Brisbane, 2 more weeks then 5 tests/games in a row. Then 4-5 weeks off and they are back training for Super Rugby sides. Not saying it's why we lost but that is a long season and a lot of travel in anyones books.

I'm wondering if playing the third Bledisloe in one of the TRC off weeks would be better. It would at least give the players 4-5 weeks before the EOYT to freshen up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If they had played the AB's in an off week,we would have been more fatigued in the last 2 weeks,and as a result less competitive.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't watch any diveball, much less read about it or follow the vibe of things in that game.

Do they have an issue with laser pointers being used offensively against players in that game in South America and/or Argentina?

Yes they do. When they're used they generally target the away team's goalkeeper and players taking corners, penalties or free kicks. It's not just Argentina though, many European and South American countries have this problem in football.

I hope the IRB does something about it. I hear what people are saying about having kicks retaken etc. But I'm not too sure that the dickhead with the laser pointer isn't going to just keep doing it on the rekick. How many rekicks do you allow? Until the guy lands it? You can't just award the point because then they'll do it to the home goal kicker to guarantee the points.

If World Rugby (or the artist formally known as the IRB) want to send a message about this they could take a leaf out of FIFA book with how they deal with racist chants. Force the home team to play their next game in an empty stadium.

Hitting them where it really hurts, in the pocket, would really motivate the home union to stamp this out at their game. It would act as a great incentive to first make sure these don't get into the ground and second to quickly identify those in the crowd that are doing it and remove them from the stadium.

This would also change the fans reaction to such incidents. There had to be a number of people sitting close to the person shinning the laser who saw him do it. Some probably thought "that's not on, he shouldn't be doing it" but said nothing. A small minority probably thought it was OK and encouraged him.

A tough punishment would mean that the silent majority are less likely to be silent in the future when they see something like that happen.

Also many times when there are tough punishments handed down in football you see a photo of the crowd with the offending fan or fans circled. I'm sure photos of the guy with the laser pointer exist. A tough punishment would make the incident very news worthy and would give the news media a reason to go and find those photos. The fan could then be identified and banned like they do in football.

We've never had crowd trouble in rugby and good behaviour has always been expected and largely policed by the fans. We don't want to let behaviours from other sports to creep in and ruin what we've had for so long.

I hope World Rugby do something to stamp this out and do it fast.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Fuck me posts upon posts about how shit To'omua and how his involvement (or lack thereof) cost us the game today is up there with watching Dingo Deans press conference.

The fact that the emphasis of a lot of posters is on individual performances rather than the collective ill-discipline which has been a HUGE constant in this team speaks volumes. You would have thought that as a country that was sunk in the 2003 WC final based on penalties and field position would have a better idea at what really cost us the game today.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Gee I see a lot of criticism toward To'omua and his lack of effect in attack and play making. Most of it justified.

BUT what about Foley?

He hasn't done much better and he is the chief play-maker after all. Not sure why the 12 is being crucified but the 10 who should be doing most of the play-making is okay. If our back-line isn't flowing I would say the first person to look at is the 10.

I'm not saying it's totally Foley's fault To'omua isn't firing, but he is partly to blame. I think the combination of Foley and To'omua just isn't working. Both are to blame.

Solution? No idea. Wait for Cooper to come back, if you call that a solution.

To'omua is considered bolted-on at 12 by many in this forum and for that reason his performances comes under more scrutiny by the rest of us.

I think nearly all of us would agree that Foley is doing a job but not setting the world on fire, and that we're likely to see Cooper again pretty soon. Ergo, not much to say about him.

Perhaps To'omua will rebound once Cooper returns but I'm not convinced this 2nd playmaker shit is the way forward. The benchmark sides certainly don't play with a 2nd playmaker type 12. Those that disagree will point to the fact that we don't have the personnel (though there are some options) for a hardrunning 12, but it's not like our current personnel are getting it done.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Fuck me posts upon posts about how shit To'omua and how his involvement (or lack thereof) cost us the game today is up there with watching Dingo Deans press conference.

The fact that the emphasis of a lot of posters is on individual performances rather than the collective ill-discipline which has been a HUGE constant in this team speaks volumes. You would have thought that as a country that was sunk in the 2003 WC final based on penalties and field position would have a better idea at what really cost us the game today.

I think everyone agrees that we give away too many penalties and scrum feeds. It's a bit hard to know what else to say about it.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Argies deserved that win. They're playing like the 4th best team in the world right now. IMO the rugby championship has the best 4 teams in the world

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

1. Hyperbole much? He's been critiqued, I'm not sure any posts lay the entire blame at his feet, especially based on 20 mins.
2. I think this aspect has been well mentioned by more than a few.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
And on at least 3 occasions kicked that vital possession away with one of Robbies "dribbly little grubbers".

Considering it has only become part of his game in the last three matches I and the fact it also became a part of pre-planned moves it looks to me as if it is a "tactic". Do we blame the player for executing what he has been told to? Some do, but they are those who do not look past the obvious actions of the individual, much like McAbe was accused of being a one dimensional bosh merchant on the back of Deans RWC game plans.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I think everyone agrees that we give away too many penalties and scrum feeds. It's a bit hard to know what else to say about it.

What else to say about it?? - what about the Coaching and Management staff that set the ARU back (at least) 2.5 - 3M per year, DOING something about it?.. The Coach at my School XV could do it - why can't these blokes?

Many, too soon forget that Deans and Link both came in hailed as the great 'discipline' gurus. in return, the supporters get treated like blind ATMs.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
the argies had no intention of pack that scrum in the last few minutes..and they end up with the penalty..honestly WTF!!?

Alexander hasn't leant anything in the years he has been in the test side. Look at his bind, in the armpit of the LHP with elbow pointing down. Since he stepped into the THP position at the expense of Le Fuse for EXACTLY the same issue you would think he would be sensitive to the issue. So when that penalty was given for "binding on the arm" I was not surprised, as he bound like that from the moment he came on.

Status
Not open for further replies.