• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I was watching the Shute Shield final, and both Gibbs and Bowen were throwing flat long passes to players running into space, with far more accuracy than I’ve ever seen from Lolesio.
Played in bone dry conditions against Shute Shield level defence???

I understand everyone’s desire for a better 10, but these sort of comparisons are pointless. The two matches are a world apart in terms of match conditions and defensive pressure.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) put in some good performances against the Welsh and just won the Hospital Cup with Brothers.

Soooooo a better option is around for now ;)
I watched that game. If you think JOC (James O'Connor) is a Wallaby 10 option after that you are a dreamer. Seriously.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Playing for the strongest domestic franchise, and an international series against Wales and Georgia, is not a bad way to pad the stats.
Exactly.. stats are manipulated by anyone who sees fit. How would his stats look playing for the Force every week. When he kicks the winning goal to grab the Bledisloe Cup I’ll be a Noah fan.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Depends which stats you're looking at.

You'd imagine playing at a 'weaker' franchise would likely result in him having more touches of the ball, more runs, more kicks and generally have a higher usage rate as he would be seen as one of the better players. Which would then in fact make him seem like an even better better player to selectors, potentially.

Whilst I know the point you're trying to make - yes stats can be manipulated by anyone, the results aren't. It's not like the Wallabies wins against Georgia and Wales have asterixis next to them.

I am definitely not a Noah fan, but I am also a realist in that we don't currently have an heir apparent to take us through to the RWC. If Noah keeps getting Ws, then he will remain in the position and we shouldn't complain.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is Lynagh still under an injury cloud? These games against Argentina would be good to give him time at the back end.

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
Lolesio’s criticism is deserved; it’s not just the decision-making, it’s also his skill execution which is appalling for Australia‘s best fly-half. He passes behind the man frequently, catches the ball stationary, and never nails his cross-field kicks. Ikitau looked like a better ball-player from the set-play that set up Gordon’s try.

I was watching the Shute Shield final, and both Gibbs and Bowen were throwing flat long passes to players running into space, with far more accuracy than I’ve ever seen from Lolesio.

I get that he’s a pretty good kicker and it’s a significant sunk cost with Lolesio, but it’s clear that they’ve spent years invested in the wrong prospect.
There is some merit to that at test level, but he nailed them at super level.

How many times did Muirhead/Toole score off a cross field from Noah

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Wallabies don't seem to do anything to drag the opposition back three out of position or put them on the back foot before attempting one. They just piff it right at Cordero or Kolbe or someone.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, what was going on with that? Couldn’t buy one. Obviously conditions were not great, but still. Los Pumas were not having an issue.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lots of chat about a player that has been endorsed to hold his spot by the coach.
How about those kickoff receives ?
It's almost as if the ball was slippery or something.

The comment was made earlier - and I echo it here - do Australian team just call off training in the wet?

But, the restarts have been our Kryptonite this year - I can probably count on one hand how many decent restarts we've received.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe a touch harsh, but the Argies seemed to catch the ball ok.

I agree re lineout - best all year from the Wobs

Seems though to me that restarts keep being an issue

Last edited:

scrans21

Ward Prentice (10)
Was very happy with the improved set piece this week. Scrum was great with Bell and Nella starting and the lineout will only get better when Wright comes back in. Stewart seemed to act as a bit of a glue between Lolesio and the outside backs and the midfield seemed to operated better defensively than it has in recent weeks. Looking forward to a hopefully dry track next week which will ideally help get our wingers into the game more, but some more out and out pace on the edges could be very useful. Nothing against Kellaway, but he seems to have slowed a bit, so it might make more sense to start Jorgensen at 14 and bring Kellaway off the bench considering he covers 11, 13, 14 & 15. Wins a win despite it being ugly. Onto the next.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
watched the game again last night, and obviously i draw comparison to Joe time with Ireland, much of the 15-19 irish game plan was evident,
one of his criticism in Ireland was far too much was through sexton, to the point that in 19 he didn't look like he would make 23, but rejuvenated under Farrell , even at 35+

where im going with that with Joeball the 10 is even more of a focal point, so under him work you need a top quality 10 (obviously all teams do, but you get my point) , its clearly the wallabies biggest issue.

lineout, scrum defence all very solid
the breakdown and the barrells they use to always talk about was evident.

i am pretty confident joe will make the wallabies a solid top 6 side again, but i struggle to see his gameplan and the Australian dna/players and the 10 situation being a easy fit

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
The Argies dropped plenty of ball. They did better at kick off receipts and it is an issue for us, but overall I thought we handled the conditions better.

The crucial last play which led to the penalty included a throw to the back of the line out and multiple phases to the stick and we retained the ball until we drew the penalty.

Plenty of work still to do - including kick off receipts and still need to improve maul defence but one of the things I thought was good was that we won in driving rain. (I thought Gordon played really well to the conditions and seemed to place his box kicks in the right spot).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you've got to put the kick-off reception problems largely down to Nick Frost given he was the recurring issue. On that basis it was hopefully one player not having a good game in that regard instead of a structural issue across the team.

It seemed he was often starting too shallow so had to retreat a fair way to get in position to make an attempt. There was one he should have certainly not gone for because it was too deep but he still went for it, missed it completely and then Wilson knocked it on because of the interference from Frost.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yep. Frost wasn't reading the wind for mine. He was jumping and then getting lifted into the wrong position as the ball shifted its trajectory.

With a series of botched kick-off receipts and his defensive debacle during what should have been the match-winning try, he had a pretty shocking afternoon rescued by good work in other areas

Eddie's Eyebrows

Herbert Moran (7)
It's almost as if the ball was slippery or something.

The comment was made earlier - and I echo it here - do Australian team just call off training in the wet?

But, the restarts have been our Kryptonite this year - I can probably count on one hand how many decent restarts we've received.
No. But many councils here in Sydney are very happy to close fields at the slightest hint of precipitation.

All those kids growing up playing rugby who never get to play / train in the wet.

It's no wonder our skill execution on kick receipts and highballs is terrible in the wet.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep. Frost wasn't reading the wind for mine. He was jumping and then getting lifted into the wrong position as the ball shifted it's trajectory.

With a series of botched kick-off receipts and his defensive debacle during what should have been the match-winning try, he had a pretty shocking afternoon rescued by good work in other areas
That misread on defence from Frost was pretty funny (in retrospect).