• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
The good thing about terrible kick of receipts is it should be an easy fix for next week.

I've been wondering if the argies were just kicking the ball at the right angle to get it into the lights or something? It seemed to go to the same spot a lot and we seemed to consistently get it wrong. That stadium looked really steep, maybe the lights were in a different spot or something?

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe a touch harsh, but the Argies seemed to catch the ball ok.
Nah they dropped a shit load of pill... including one about 5 metres from the line and one over the line. I think in contact we seemed to have better handling but we really struggled in the air. Schmidt suggested that the wind was making it hard for the players to track the ball

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, happy to be wrong. Probably I missed a few of the Argie dopped pill. Funny how different perspectives pick up different things

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
True. I could never tell you who on the opposition played well. They are just 15 blue shirts to me. Too myopically focused on our efforts at all times.

Khun Phil

Bob McCowan (2)
The good thing about terrible kick of receipts is it should be an easy fix for next week.

I've been wondering if the argies were just kicking the ball at the right angle to get it into the lights or something? It seemed to go to the same spot a lot and we seemed to consistently get it wrong. That stadium looked really steep, maybe the lights were in a different spot or something?
Maybe it was the right angle for the crowd lasers?

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Played in bone dry conditions against Shute Shield level defence???

I understand everyone’s desire for a better 10, but these sort of comparisons are pointless. The two matches are a world apart in terms of match conditions and defensive pressure.
I know and I should have said that but my point still stands- I’ve never seen him to do it at Super level

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have my doubts about Lolesio ever being the finished product we want and need, but neither of those 10s in the SS final are anywhere near his level. Their kicking was off and they succumbed at times to the pressure of the final.
There were a few other players in that game that I am sure will be under consideration over the next couple of years, but the 10s are unlikely.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Strewth, we just beat Argentina in the driving rain. Lineout was immaculate, too. Probably a touch harsh.

Sure a few restarts were bungled but in those conditions I think you just chalk it up to 'one of those days' and move on.
Every re-start was bungled, and it was the only thing keep Argentina in the game for periods

I'd say training it and improving their core skills would be more beneficial than doing nothing about it

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Frost probably catches 20 from 20 at training, and Wilson has probably never dropped a single one.

Weren't those dropped restarts in the Super Rugby semi what cost Swain a spot in the squad ;)

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Then they need to look at their game prep if they never drop them in training

They need to be ruthless in improvement areas. This "she'll be right" attitude is what has cost them in the past

dru

David Wilson (68)
Frost probably catches 20 from 20 at training, and Wilson has probably never dropped a single one.

Weren't those dropped restarts in the Super Rugby semi what cost Swain a spot in the squad ;)

Thats proabably fabulous news. Nothing to see here, move on?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Bernard Foley was on Between the Sticks last night, and commented that in his time kickoff restarts were only practised for about 5 minutes at the end of sessions. Michael Hooper agreed. However, he made one other comment that I thought was salient also. The fields they play on in Argentina are remarked soccer grounds and are only 16 metres from the 22m line to the 40m line. That's a couple of metres short. Maybe the Wallaby catchers are standing in the wrong spot if they are taking a lead from the 22m line?

Foley also made a lot of sense talking about where the No 10 stands in general play and how he tries to manipulate the defence so that there are mismatches that can be exploited by the backline. He also explained how the defending wingers and fullback move around the field at breakdown time so that they are in certain positions when rucks are formed but move to cover different areas as the opposition halfback is getting the ball out. By the time a halfback puts up a bomb or other kick, the defensive wingers and fullback can be in quite different positions than as expected by the halfback.

Foley was excellent with his analyses and was often deferred to by both Morgan Turinui and Michael Hooper. I'm thinking he would be a valuable resource in the squad to help Noah with his development. Certainly looks to be a very well informed coaching prospect.

Hogan

Herbert Moran (7)
I have my doubts about Lolesio ever being the finished product we want and need, but neither of those 10s in the SS final are anywhere near his level. Their kicking was off and they succumbed at times to the pressure of the final.
There were a few other players in that game that I am sure will be under consideration over the next couple of years, but the 10s are unlikely.
Why would u think they were?? Had people suggested that?? One has never played Super Rugby (Gibbs) and the other…one full game of Super Rugby (Bowen). For people to think that they are a possible consideration is absolutely ridiculous and probably shows how little they know about the game.

Lolesio, Donaldson and Lynagh are the best we currently have. They were the form 10’s this year. If Schmidt didn’t think they were up to it, they wouldn’t be there. They still have plenty to learn and Schmidt is the best possible coach and mentor for them. They will only get better with time. To suggest that we simply select an untested 10 in the hot seat and all of sudden they miraculously solve all our problems is comical at best. Patience is a virtue.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
I don’t think that for anyone with any knowledge of the game and watched the Norths v Easts grand final would think that Gibbs or Bowen are ready for the highest level of rugby. Anyone who comes to that conclusion are deluded. If it was like the ‘old days’ they wouldn't even be playing first grade.