• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Good win away from home in pretty ordinary conditions. Well let’s say great to win! Does Joe still back Noah?

dru

David Wilson (68)
Good win away from home in pretty ordinary conditions. Well let’s say great to win! Does Joe still back Noah?

Nothing against Donaldson but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a step up. Joe needs to pick and stick at this point.

Bootlaces

Frank Row (1)
Also, worth the Wallabies noting the impenetrable defensive line out executed by the All Blacks against South Africa around the 44th minute this morning. Almost certainly prevented the guaranteed rolling maul try by South Africa. Hopefully the Wallabies can study the All-Blacks technique and prevent being decimated by the South African line out close to our try line in the future.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Nothing against Donaldson but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a step up. Joe needs to pick and stick at this point.
Dru. Everyone seems to think Lynagh needs a chance but Noah has played 23 Tests and majority starting. Donaldson only started in a handful and last two Tests 10 minutes total. So, nothing against Noah but in 23 Tests I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is the man. Give Donno and Lynagh 23 Tests before you make a call?

Overtime

Chris McKivat (8)
Noah creates absolutely nothing in attack
Our most successful 10 in the last 30 years and one of the great gambles in Australian Rugby was moving Larkham from 15 to 10. He was never going to replace Burke but after moving to 10 became the arguably the most important cog in the team leading the team to another world cup. We need to make another gamble, we have enough outside young backs in Toole and Lancaster, Jorgo to flyhalf first at super rugby level then if successful at International level.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
I’d say so Donaldson only came on with a few minutes and dosent offer much more
What can he do in a few minutes Rugbyau? Seriously. Noah I guess will be backed until the Great Britain trip but he is not my starting 10. 23 Tests and is average.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Dru. Everyone seems to think Lynagh needs a chance but Noah has played 23 Tests and majority starting. Donaldson only started in a handful and last two Tests 10 minutes total. So, nothing against Noah but in 23 Tests I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is the man. Give Donno and Lynagh 23 Tests before you make a call?

(What makes you think the issue is my call?) Lynagh is not ready. No issue with him getting chances where it is sensible, largely off the bench I suspect. I don't care on the choice between Lolesio and Donaldson. Had Joe been starting Donaldson I'd be saying the same thing - Lolesio does not seem a step up so pick and stick. That is not where we are.

I'm happy to see Donaldson see more time off the bench than the miserly minutes he got today. And if he does show something, great. In the mean time it is not a school yard team where everybody should get a go. Schmidt needed to make the call well before 23 tests to either Donaldson or Lynagh. Like it or leave it, it seems that he has.

I haven't seen anything that suggests there is actually "a man" at 10 right now. Pick and stick, for me.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
(What makes you think the issue is my call?) Lynagh is not ready. No issue with him getting chances where it is sensible, largely off the bench I suspect. I don't care on the choice between Lolesio and Donaldson. Had Joe been starting Donaldson I'd be saying the same thing - Lolesio does not seem a step up so pick and stick. That is not where we are.

I'm happy to see Donaldson see more time off the bench than the miserly minutes he got today. And if he does show something, great. In the mean time it is not a school yard team where everybody should get a go. Schmidt needed to make the call well before 23 tests to either Donaldson or Lynagh. Like it or leave it, it seems that he has.

I haven't seen anything that suggests there is actually "a man" at 10 right now. Pick and stick, for me.
I’m guessing Joe will stick with Noah like as you say he has made his choice. I would have liked though to see Donaldson’s progress after 23 Tests at 10 that’s all. Especially after a full season of 10 at the Force showed he is much better when backed than being chopped and changed like he was at the Tahs. I don’t think we have seen the best of him yet.

Reactions: dru

griffins

Billy Sheehan (19)
One point that hasnt been made re our attack/Noah etc - was Argentina any better? Disgusting conditions meant it was a graft. If anything I thought we created a bit more than they did as the game wore on. I'm taking the win and hoping to see improvement next week (hopefully on a dry track).

On Argentina, for someone with a bit of a reputation as a hard man fuck Lavanini is a powder puff. Is he getting on a bit/getting over an injury?

rugbyAU

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd be looking at moving Kellaway to the bench next week, in the first half he had zero runs, zero metres, zero tackles and one pass

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Alan Cameron (40)
What can he do in a few minutes Rugbyau? Seriously. Noah I guess will be backed until the Great Britain trip but he is not my starting 10. 23 Tests and is average.
Point I'm making is that with Lolesio playing poorly, Joe doesn't seem like wanting to turn to Donaldson if he's only giving him a few minutes off the bench

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we're definitely getting closer to knowing our best team - at least from the domestic players
We'd need to string together a few more to be clear on that and there are still a number of injuries that leave question marks. I like the graft and focus, but the decision making is still not there yet, but it is a step in the right direction and I like what I'm seeing.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)

They need three genuine options because a injury to one and suddenly it's the next man up. You'd imagine that unless someone really craves up in Super next season it will be those three for the Lions. If Carter was still around, I suspect he might be in the mix.