• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Andy Friend Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That Zavos article was interesting. I'd be a bit surprised if MacQueen retired because of problems with the Brumbies players. The stuff about O'Neill was a bit out there too.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Spiro has a habit of "I told your so".
Comparing it to Real life politics is a little far fetched considering the over-throw of K Rudd. Now that was politicking.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, but do we know if they can coach? Seems so typical of the Brumbies these last few years, jobs for the boys regardless of whether or not they are the most qualified. Just because Larkham and Gregan were great players doesn't mean they know how to coach at Super Rugby level.

Exactly, and isnt Larkhams old man on the board at the Brumbies or something? Talk about conflict of interests. Having family members and/or experienced players at various levels at any club can work great but when it goes tits up watch out. Too many cliques, those not in the clique feeling completely left out and not part of the team - not good.

The Brumbies could win every remaining game this year but it wouldnt change my view that Friend has been unfairly treated, by the sounds of things he has plenty of support too.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Kaf was just on fox sports saying the thoguth Friend did a good job and it would be a mistake to give larkham a coaching role.

tortfeaser

Frank Row (1)
I sent this to the Brumbies feedback line

"How can the Brumbies improve their performance on the field if those managing operations off it can't keep it together?

Today's effort of failing to support the coach to do what he was contracted to do will not help. How can you expect to employ sufficiently experienced and talented coaching staff if they can't be sure they'll have the support they need from the board to make the tough choices. Coaches run teams, players need to be put in their box. "

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

Interesting article Bradley. I wonder if there is anything to the comments that Friend didnt want Larkham as backs coach and that CEO Fagan brought him in anyway. I'm with Friend if thats the case, you bring in someone like Larkham who has his father on the Brumbies board (if I have that correct) then you have a problem. You need to be able to express critisism especially if your in the pursuit of improving and gaining success. If your the coach you need to be able to criticise assistant coaches and players without the fear of losing your job. Otherwise you end up with the group think scenario, a bunch of people just sitting around nodding their heads at one way of thinking brought about by one or two people - regardless of whether it's right or wrong.

It effects all team sports and at all levels, it's been done at club level. Players with reputations and friendships with the right people get the position they want to play in, get to train and play when they want, tend to get coaching positions later, give a leg up to former team mates who still play, aswell as give leg up's to newer players happy to tow their line. Introduce a hard nosed coach from outside the club oldboys (and oldgirls) system that tells the players to shut their mouth "it's my way or the highway" and starts giving new or long suffering bench players a go because they've earned it, egos get bruised and the carnage begins.

I understand that former players do often take on roles with their clubs because they are often emotionally connected to them but I think it needs to be done with caution.

Even if the Brumbies start winning games it wont change the fact that they've treated Friend very poorly.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
it'll be very interesting to see what the crowd is like this week. Lots of people seem quite pissed about this. Friend was very liked by the ACT public.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
My mail is that the Tasmanian Government is trying to persuade the Brumbies to relocate to Hobart. The Apple Islanders know absolutely nothing about rugby but the feeling is that they will instantly identify with an organisation with an even more restricted gene pool than they are used to.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
How many of these sackings have the current CEO and board presided over, and are they not the ones who make the appointments in the first place? If Fagan and his cohorts have had tenure for most of this time then shouldn't questions be asked of them?

Very unhealthy what is going on.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
My mail is that the Tasmanian Government is trying to persuade the Brumbies to relocate to Hobart. The Apple Islanders know absolutely nothing about rugby but the feeling is that they will instantly identify with an organisation with an even more restricted gene pool than they are used to.

:)

Or maybe when the Gold coast pinch the Sevens (shame on WA govt wasting money on a done deal) the Brums will move to Adelaide?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

On fire again Bruce.

It appears that the situation does Oz rugby no good at all but European football clubs and even rugby clubs go through this situation all the time; so maybe it's not as bad as we think. Bushfires can be devastating but some good comes out of it after the heat of the fire has opened the pods from trees and other plants and regrowth appears.

So much for what I have found out on the National Geographic channel. The History Channel tells me that there is often chaos after a revolution and sometimes there is a counter-revolution.

I find it incredible that an experienced coach was not sussed out first to act as caretaker coach with a view to making the appointment permanent after time. Bernie is a very clever fellow but he has no coaching credentials to speak of - and scratch Harrison and you will find a buffoon underneath.

It smells of jobs for the boys and doing it on the cheap.

S

sportsfan

Listen to this radio interview from ABC posted above and try and think of a more balaced, professional and quality individual than AF.
The "Rock Stars" have a lot to learn about life

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well the pressure is well and truly on the players this weekend. They have gotten what they wanted. Nothing standing in the way of them blitzing the comp now.

Status
Not open for further replies.