• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Andy Friend Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hard to be 'involved' when players won't take advice or criticism on board, and if pushed, run to management to garner support against the coach.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Andy Friend entitled to his say and now he has on radio. He has politely waited to the end of the season. He should be congratulated for his gracious control. However he lost the support of the players over the past few years and he recruited very poorly.
The first thing Jake White is doing is getting a more balanced playing roster together which the Brumbies can take forward. Moreover Fagan was given only hard choices, there was no easy choice here, he did what the board and him self thought was best at the time for better or worse. Sadly Friend had no currency left at the Brumbies; he created that perception for the players.

Friend brought on his on demise over several seasons. Fagan just showed him the exit door. Jake White and Larkham will make a good core coaching team. I'm pleased to see they have gone with a youth policy and are lining up a lot of very talented young guys who are looking for an opportunity.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I didn't have any issue with the sacking of Andy Friend, as a coach lives and dies by his results. Super 15 quality players are in high demand, and the ones you have are a club's greatest asset. It is the job of the coach to get the best out of the players they have, and Friend, who seemed a decent kind of guy, clearly wasn't doing that. I was very surprised at the timing, however, especially when it turned out that there was no Plan B or suitable replacement ready.

Whether the decision was right or wrong is a moot point now (or as Joey said in Friends it is "moo" - a cow's opinion). This year has been one of pain all round. Just when we thought they had finally started to play to their potential after the Reds and Rebels came the last round against the Tah's which just plunged the knife in deeper.

I don't think they could have made a better appointment for next year than Jake White. It certainly should have dampened all the "player power" and conspiracy theories going around. Surprisingly to some people, it seems that Fagan and the Board were actually trying to do what they thought was best for the organisation. You can question their competence perhaps, but not their motives.

I was trying to find some silver linings in the dark cloud of this season. The only things I could think of were - 1. Giteau finally found some form. If he had been playing like that in 2010 we might not have found ourselves in this situation. 2. The emergence of Stephen Moore as a leader. I fully expect him to be the next captain. I know we still have Hoiles, but Moore would be my pick. 3. We now have the chance of renewal and a new era at the club.

For next season we now have an internationally successful coach, and a host of up and coming players. I don't expect great things in 2012, although I do expect better attitude and results than this year. Like most fans, if my team tries their best but loses you can accept it and support them wholeheartedly, and dream of better days ahead. What is giving me a glimmer of hope, though, is the opportunity for these young guns to form combinations that will be the core of a very strong team in 2 or 3 years time.

This year I didn't renew my season ticket for the first time in over 10 years. It was an economic decision really - why pay for Foxtel, where I can watch all the games in warmth and comfort, and then pay several hundred dollars more to go to the ground to freeze, eat overpriced crap food, pay $6 for a beer, and watch the team play well below their potential. Because I didn't renew my ticket, 4 of the other 5 guys I went with didn't renew theirs either.

I have spoken to all of them in the last week, and every one of them (including me) will be taking season tickets next year. We feel that it is important for the team to know they are still supported, and I have a feeling they will need all the support they can get. I also have a feeling that it will be a wise investment in the years beyond the next one.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
Exactly now is the perfect time to get your Brumbies Membership. Remember,

'It is always darkest just before the dawn'

And lack of interest means you'll get a really good seat:D

Status
Not open for further replies.