• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Andy Friend Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I think one of Giteau and Elsom wants to stay on post RWC, neither willing to do so with Friend at the helm.

I'd love to see Mooney get the gig, he did a great job turning the young Reds crop around, a similar crop the Brumbies have started to assemble.

What a minefield that would be to wander into, and what a contrast.... The reds playing group at their lowest ebb were a bunch of youngsters lead by a couple of tragics who loved the jersey enough to soldier on through the pain, and who had suffered through a series of coaches without taking the knife to them. (The QRU being a different story).

I have this feeling that moulding the brumbies clay would be a different challenge.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
What are the common threads with Nucifora's demise. Obviously nothing to do with Rob Clarke but in both cases there was a young CEO and ???? similar players /ex-players.

D

daz

I have absolutely nothing of value to add to this thread.

Except to say, hopefully the new coach will bar JP from the Brumbies and he will no longer have any reason to live. Can JP then be subjected to the same panel power treatment by foxsports?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I feel sorry for the Brumbies supporters. I love my team, but if they pulled this shit I don't know how I would feel about them as a playing group anymore (more looking at the senior group here).

I hope the fans can forgive (or just forget) their spoiled child like behaviour and still support their team with passion this week.

B

Burke's Boot

Yeah, but do we know if they can coach? Seems so typical of the Brumbies these last few years, jobs for the boys regardless of whether or not they are the most qualified. Just because Larkham and Gregan were great players doesn't mean they know how to coach at Super Rugby level.

What do you mean, if you have coached at international level (though never officially) you can do Super Rugby. The source, a Wallaby at the time, who i know from school mentioned to one bloke what the deal was with Macqueen at the end who then mentioned it to another friend who relayed it to me.

Gregan played his last pro-game ever yesterday in Japan so would be available if he was interested.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the problem i have with all of this is, its closing in on a decade since the brumbies actually played well enough to warrant being arrogant to the level of running things themselves. This current group is a mid table team with a list and wraps that should be challenging for titles. if they dont then the brumbies should relaunch there whole organisation next year, rip up the contracts and just start again.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to SMH:

There is little doubt the rift between Friend and the senior players was a major factor. Five senior players - Matt Giteau, Stephen Hoiles, Rocky Elsom, Stephen Moore and Adam Ashley-Cooper - met Friend before the opening round of the season to discuss their concerns. It was hoped that would ease the tension. But Friend couldn't win back the players.

One could assume that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will now stay on with Friend gone...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And do you know what the worst thing to come out of all this is?

Friend was supposed to meet with referees boss Lyndon Bray today to find out what Kaplan was smoking on the weekend...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tony Rea... the man who has been elevated to the top job... was the Brumbies' defence & skills coach...

He'll make a great puppet coach as he obviously hasn't been doing his other job this year...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Id love to know what these concerns were. With gits, and most likely, rocky leaving who cares about what they've got to say?

Stephen holies wouldn't be in that group if it wasn't for friend having faith in him. Would have been nice to do the same. Joke of a leader right there.

Those wanting to see gits at 12 it'll never happen now. To'omua must be pissed as.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's really no point for To'omua to go anywhere else because Giteau will be gone next year and the 10 jersey will be his...

I also noticed on the weekend that Bernie spent a lot of time with To'omua in the warm up so he's certainly being tutored...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Bernie to To'omua " and if you think for a second your better then me I'll get rid of you too"

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think there is a lot of wild speculation here, and whilst there is nothing wrong with that (we probably wouldn't have a forum without it), I think we should take a step back before pointing fingures at Gits and Bernie. Clearly this was about more than just one person, with many factors at play. Just to say it was because Bernie's dad is on the board is a bit much IMO.

I think there has been inherent problems at the Brumbies for many years, and this is just symptomatic of those issues. If I were the board I would be looking for someone like David Crawford to come in and do a full internal review before the club goes well and truly off the rails. If the on-field results were good there would not be as much of an issue.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If I were the board I would be looking for someone like David Crawford to come in and do a full internal review before the club goes well and truly off the rails. If the on-field results were good there would not be as much of an issue.

If the on-field results were good and the coach had been sacked there would have been an even bigger issue.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Come to the Force, Matt. We've got a 10 jersey waiting for you...

That better be MT rather than MG Brown Hornet, I dont want another controversy in WA.

I can just imagine the backline for the Brumbs in a couple of weeks. 10 Gits 12 Tyrone 13 Andrew Smith 15 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14 Mccabe 11 Speight

Man they know how to fuck up a ball club in ACT

Italian Stallion

Stan Wickham (3)
Strange..... player grumblings and turmoil in the camp when Gits was at the Force...

My sentiments exactly. Whats been done here is pathetic. And I feel Friend has been stabbed in the back by those who bought through to become part of the brumbies....Elsom is one...Wasnt it Elsom who contacted Friend to be part of the Brumbies. I hope this is not the end of Friend...Good to see in the Canberra Times Friend saying he wont change...I think the players need to take a hard look at themselves and take responsibility. Why arent the players to blame when they miss the tackle, throw a bad pass, drop a ball, give away a DUMB penalty....why is it the coaches fault...Im sure its not the coach out there...and why arent the other coaching staff taking a hit too...Larkham, Cuputo and Harrison.....Novice coaches now in charge of the Brumbies..Tony Rea will just be a puppet now...
Time will tell.....

Status
Not open for further replies.