• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem they're going to face with something like that is that at the exact same time, Israel Folau is likely to be front and centre in all the ARU's promotional material for the Rugby Championship.

At least with the Big Bash there is a level of uncertainty regarding how much or how little the Aussie players will actually be available.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Until they spend x% of their player budget on a player that is never going to play for them.
Wallaby and Super rugby players won't be paid. Not certain on what criteria the Rams can bid for Folau.

Anyway, great to hear St Mary's Stadium will be used. At least it's actually in the West. I'm wondering if Panther's League Club is a backer of the Rams proposal......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
from what I understand USyd and UNSW are like that, the other universities getting involved seem to be from the point of view of commercial partnerships. RUPA talked to them independently before they released their proposal and it has been up to the bidding consortiums to contact the universities independently from that relationship for this set-up to be created.

Bond Uni likely to host one of the qld teams although I'm not sure if they will have much more involvement than that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The problem they're going to face with something like that is that at the exact same time, Israel Folau is likely to be front and centre in all the ARU's promotional material for the Rugby Championship.

At least with the Big Bash there is a level of uncertainty regarding how much or how little the Aussie players will actually be available.

They should be going after Beale.........

He did play for the Rams in the ARC, and unlike Folau he'll be free to play in the NRC.........

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I am guessing that all clubs are being told that they must partner with another club in order to get selected for the NRC.
Perhaps Uni (and Randwick) have decided that they may as well partner with a week club (ie one from 2nd division) rather than one that they usually go head to head in competition with.
Uni get local Juniors and the use of Leichardt Oval this next year.
Randwick get more fields and the benefits of being associated with a Uni which, as we see from the Sydney Uni model, is attractive.
They both get to play their own players in the NRC which will attract more players to the Clubs.
Pretty clever if that is the strategy & great vision to those involved.
Macca, you seem to knaow a little more as to whats going on... How will this JV effect the juniors?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
from what I understand USyd and UNSW are like that, the other universities getting involved seem to be from the point of view of commercial partnerships. RUPA talked to them independently before they released their proposal and it has been up to the bidding consortiums to contact the universities independently from that relationship for this set-up to be created.

Well I'm told that UNSW offered Randwick a JV in Shute Shield last year and were knocked back but a sponsorship was permitted.
So there must be a bit more to their relationship.
@Bruce Ross - it may differentiate our game but I wonder whether it will broaden appeal or merely heighten the perception of elitism - mind you a certain level of perception that the game is elitist is not necessarily a bad thing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Southern jumped from the Eastern Side and they didn't want to limit to just western Sydney for that.

I can tell you they probably have a very pretty logo though.

And to be fair, probably 75% of Sydney is referred to as "Western Sydney" ..........

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Macca, you seem to knaow a little more as to whats going on. How will this JV effect the juniors?

Dear Brian - my overview is based on observation, intuition & summation - alas I really know bugger all.
Continuing that approach, I think the Juniors will be valued more with the proposed changes- that is starting now. Uni have had Colts as their priority for ages and that has delivered for them. That has been noticed and copied by others and that has flowed down to Juniors. Also, I think it was a selection criteria for admission to the NRC to have a junior pathway.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Dear Brian - my overview is based on observation, intuition & summation - alas I really know bugger all.
Continuing that approach, I think the Juniors will be valued more with the proposed changes- that is starting now. Uni have had Colts as their priority for ages and that has delivered for them. That has been noticed and copied by others and that has flowed down to Juniors. Also, I think it was a selection criteria for admission to the NRC to have a junior pathway.
Cheers Macca

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Bond Uni likely to host one of the qld teams although I'm not sure if they will have much more involvement than that.
So nothing was learnt from the ARC. People on the coast don't support sport and Brisbane fans don't identify with teams based in the coast. A white elephant of a team that won't last more than 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wallaby and Super rugby players won't be paid. Not certain on what criteria the Rams can bid for Folau.

Has me wondering - if those Super players who don't get a gig with the Wallabies are contracted to the Waratahs (I presume), can they be directed to play for a NRC outfit that they have no ties with otherwise without being paid? It seems to me that there wouldn't be a problem if there is some sort of contractual arrangement with the Super franchise, like it appears will be the case in Qld, and maybe in Canberra, Melbourne and Perth. But will (say) Uni or Randwick or any of the JV teams if they get into the NRC have any sort of contractual relationship with the Tahs?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
@Bruce Ross - it may differentiate our game but I wonder whether it will broaden appeal or merely heighten the perception of elitism - mind you a certain level of perception that the game is elitist is not necessarily a bad thing.
For too long, IS, Australian athletes had to choose between sport and education. American professional footballers, basketballers and more recently baseballers come through the NCAA system, i.e., they have university or college degrees.

A quite high proportion of young Australians now attend university. Linking each of our Tier 3 clubs with a university will give rugby players enhanced opportunities to develop their sporting and academic potential at the same time; giving them much better career options after their playing days are over. If that's elitism so be it. I call it acting responsibly towards our players.

Of course not all players are suited by or interested in university study. But I think that they should all be encouraged to achieve tertiary qualifications, such as for example qualifying as a tradesman or technician.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
So based on the hearsay on this forum the NRC will look like this:
QLD city. (QRU)
QLD 'country' (QRU) 'hosted' by bond uni.
West Sydney rams (JV of clubs from GWS plus southern districts.)
Randwick and UNSW representing I presume eastern suburbs.
North sydney??? Manly et al.
sydney uni with balmain???
Plus I think we can lock teams owned by
the rebels.
the brumbies
the force.

I think four sydney teams is a stretch so one of the aforementioned will miss out initially.

T

Train Without a Station

For too long, IS, Australian athletes had to choose between sport and education. American professional footballers, basketballers and more recently baseballers come through the NCAA system, i.e., they have university or college degrees.

A quite high proportion of young Australians now attend university. Linking each of our Tier 3 clubs with a university will give rugby players enhanced opportunities to develop their sporting and academic potential at the same time; giving them much better career options after their playing days are over. If that's elitism so be it. I call it acting responsibly towards our players.

Of course not all players are suited by or interested in university study. But I think that they should all be encouraged to achieve tertiary qualifications, such as for example qualifying as a tradesman or technician.

Bruce I would even say that Australia is beginning to go the way of the states where, unless you want to do a trade, you need to at least complete an undergrad degree to get somewhere.

Expansion of universities is continuing at a rapid rate, at least here in Melbourne. I worked for one of the largest builders in Melbourne in 2012 and when given a discussion on the company direction we were told that the bulk of their work, traditionally residential high rise developments would now be coming from institutional work.

I can also vouch for the expansion of Bond University as an ex student. Since 2007 when I first commenced studying there I have seen a new library, expansion of the law faculty building to double the size, a property faculty building and an architecture faculty building constructed. I haven't been there in the last 12 months so there's probably another building under construction to cater to a few hundred more enrolments, in addition to the acquisition of the former Titans centre of excellence.

Currently MU, Monash, Swinburne and Deakin all have new buildings in the $100M range under construction in metropolitan Melbourne, with further developments pending. Obviously this is to service the demand for increasing enrolments and these state of the art educational facilities are aimed at attracting the best young students of the crop.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Early days, but if the above predictions are correct, that would suggest that the Eastern Suburbs club in Sydney, has been squeezed out?
I know that was not part of the original plans.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
So based on the hearsay on this forum the NRC will look like this:
QLD city. (QRU) (UQ is the obvious choice)
QLD 'country' (QRU) 'hosted' by bond uni.
West Sydney rams (JV of clubs from GWS plus southern districts.) (UWS + Uni of Wollongong)
Randwick and UNSW representing I presume eastern suburbs.
North sydney??? Manly et al. (Macquarie + UTS)
sydney uni with balmain???
Plus I think we can lock teams owned by
the rebels. (Melbourne Uni)
the brumbies (Uni of Canberra)
the force.(UWA)
These are just some logical suggestions but they indicate that pairing clubs with unis would not present any real difficulty. The uni communities - students, staff and alumni - would add to each team's potential supporter base.
I think four sydney teams is a stretch so one of the aforementioned will miss out initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.