• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2024 Under 20 Rugby Champs all match discussion thread

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sawers at No 7 was in everything and must have been in the running for MOTM. The No 6 didn't seem to do much in close but played like another centre out in the backs. He is an excellent ball runner but the two centres had good games so maybe he's a bit of a luxury out there. All the wingers looked good with Leahy and Staniforth each getting a pair of tries.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I’m yet to watch this game but your thoughts on the #6 kind of match what I saw in the recent u20s rugby championship series. I thought he played far too light and loose then - I’d like to see a bigger, more aggressive starting #6. We cant let ourselves get physically bullied.

JackJill

Ward Prentice (10)
IMO Goddard should have been in the squad from the beginning.

Interesting that four replacements = four Waratahs. Was there nothing at any other franchise across these positions?
I was thinking the same thing. I suppose Nathan Grey has been tightly affiliated with the Tahs and probably knows these boys quite well. I wonder if there was an SOS/Shadow group named for worst-case scenarios?

I thought the backline was the right pick. Maybe start Staniforth but even so Saunders played well. They were fast and the quick passing from the outside backs in particular opened Georgia up and put points on the board.

Bringing Goddard in is the right choice. He has been dominating scrums in 1st grade for Eastwood against Super Rugby talent and Aus could do with the extra weight. 6 and 8 are good out-wide but will get found out for being not-dominant physically, especially defending on their own line. Is Ditaso's replacement a big no. 6?

No. 7 is class, best player on field.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
There are some subtle skill tweaks which will make this team better. Some of them (but not all of them) know how to pass and clean. Up to the coaches to review the video to ID which ones.
Attack plays when you’re catching the ball behind you just get stunted by the better defences.
But overall you have to give them a lot of credit for overcoming multiple setbacks (injuries, TMO calls, field conditions, red card) to pull away strongly.
Obviously a mentally and physically fit team, who will get better & more cohesive.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I felt some of the replacements were better, tougher and held their own up front. I’m sure there will be some tinkering.
It was annoying that they kicked away possession a lot in the first half. I think the fullback was guilty a few times, but then got some nice little kicks in behind to turn around the over eager Georgia defence in the second. They will get better each game no doubt.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
This side is getting real young now with these call ups. It wasn't the best U19s Super Rugby IMO and the U18s games were a pretty high standard so I think these guys have jumped other 19s around the country in pecking order.

The NSW 18s were fairly dominant last year so I don't think it's surprising to see them called up. Durbridge played the trials for the Tahs this year and is built like a tank for his age. Titi is a big unit who can also play Hooker I believe and Goddard should have been in the squad originally. He reminds me of De Luttis at this age.

Cauliflower Ear

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did they play a warm-up game before the tournament? Looked very scrappy and unorganised in the first 50ish minutes, however, found a groove and capitalised against an unfit Georgian team in the second half. If they played a warm-up game, we might be in trouble. If not, that performance can probably be attributed to nerves and poor chemistry/cohesion.

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
Australia second-row, Harvey Cordukes, has received a two-match sanction for a dangerous tackle in Australia’s match against Georgia on 29 June, 2024 in round one of the World Rugby U20 Championship taking place in South Africa.

The World Rugby U20 Championship and U20 Trophy are operating the simplified red card sanction trial, an initiative born from the Shape of the Game forum earlier this year aimed at simplifying rugby’s off-field disciplinary processes.

A Red Card Sanction Committee (RCSC) found that the offending was an error in technique which satisfied the definition of “foul play” under the new process. Foul play is defined as circumstances where a player has attempted to affect a legal rugby action and/or has committed a reckless action but has made minor errors such as in technique or timing.

The RCSC met on 30 June, 2024, and was chaired by Mike Mika (New Zealand), joined by panel members Ofisa Tonu’u (New Zealand) and Donal Courtney (Ireland). Having considered all the available evidence, and all available camera angles, the RCSC found the offending warranted a two-match standard sanction for “foul play”. This sanction was accepted by the player.

The player is therefore suspended for the following matches:

• Australia v Italy – 4 July, 2024
  • Ireland v Australia – 9 July, 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
1000020430.jpg

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
Round 2 (AEST)

This Thursday 4th

- Ireland v Georgia 10pm (Pool B)

- Wales v Spain 10pm (Pool A)

Friday 5th

- France v New Zealand 12.30am (Pool A)

- England v Fiji 12.30am (Pool C)

- South Africa v Argentina 3am (Pool C)

- Australia v Italy 3am (Pool B)

Round 3 kicks off on Tuesday 9th and Wednesday 10th

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
Jack Barrett, Tevita Alatini, Ben Di Staso and Hwi Sharples will miss the remainder of the World Rugby u20s due to injury.

Nathaniel Tiitii, Billy Dickens, Will Goddard and Austin Durbridge have joined the squad as injury replacements.