• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wallabies forwards get rev-up from White

Greg Growden
Chief Rugby Correspondent

"The real issue is the Wallabies forwards are not
SPRINGBOKS World Cup-winning coach Jake White has called on the Wallabies forwards to dramatically lift their standards against South Africa tomorrow night, otherwise they will suffer their third straight humiliating Test loss.
The now Brumbies coach believes the Wallabies forwards' inability to dominate the gain line battle has made it virtually impossible for the Australian attack to perform.
White is not hiding from these comments, instead giving the team a jarring rev-up for tomorrow night's Perth Test, with revealing statistics that emphasise how impotent the Wallabies forwards were in the two Bledisloe Cup Tests.
White, who was involved in 11 internationals against the Wallabies while Springboks coach between 2004 and 2007, makes the telling point that Radike Samo made more metres in one international last year than the whole Wallabies pack combined in the Sydney and Auckland losses.
''Some of the statistics from the recent Bledisloe Cup clashes are mind blowing,'' White wrote. ''In two Tests the Wallabies forwards carried the ball just 80 metres (50 in Sydney then 30 in Auckland), while the All Blacks forwards carried for 225 metres - almost three times as much.
''Much criticism has been aimed at the Wallabies attack for failing to score a try in Auckland, but it may not be the backs' fault. The real issue is the Wallabies forwards are not gaining any ascendancy at the gain line so the backs have no platform to launch attacking raids.
''The backs can be creative as they like, and the Wallabies back line is full of creative players, but without the time and space to execute their attack they were easily closed down by the All Blacks.
''There could be two reasons for this. Either the Wallabies, in their desperation to attack, are getting the ball to the backs too often or the forwards are being given the ball but can't gain any ascendancy. The latter isn't surprising as they are missing some of their best ball carriers.'' This includes Wycliff Palu and James Horwill, who are both injured, while Tatafu Polota-Nau and Samo hasn't started every Test.
''In one run last year against the All Blacks in Brisbane, Radike Samo carried the ball more than the entire Wallabies pack in the first two clashes this season. Whatever the cause, the Wallabies must go forward.''
White said the Springboks had ''the opposite problem''. Their forwards were carrying the ball too much, and so their attack ''is one dimensional, and, as we saw in Mendoza against Argentina, easily contained''. This is because Heyneke Meyer ''is using the Bulls game plan, based around forward power and gaining a physical edge over opponents''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/australia-rugby/wallabies-forwards-get-revup-from-white-20120906-25h4o.html#ixzz25kEoh4Pc

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
We don't lose much by having TPN promoted to the starting team. Lets just cross our fingers he doesn't get stretchered off after 20 minutes. I think Fainga'a is unfortunately not really a test level hooker. My observations are that he's a pretty weak scrummager. We are likely to finish the game with Slipper/Fainga'a/Alexander scrum, there is definitely an opportunity there for the boks to expose that combination.

On the plus side, a lot of the criticism of the Wallabies this week has been the inability/reluctance of the Wallabies forwards to run the ball. This Wallaby pack has some go forward with Alexandar, TPN, Timani, Samo, Sharpe, Dennis all capable of getting over the advantage line. We'll need an 80 minute performance though. Lets hope they get some front foot ball because I have no doubt in my mind that the backline we have chosen is capable to scoring some tries.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
You are optimistic. Our blokes are notorious at talking a great story only to see it all disappear after the first 10.

Pretty keen to see Strauss and TPN up against each other. Two pretty damn good running hookers.

In the backs i think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is going to be the key. They have selected a backline to run the pill. Finally a centre pair that compliment the halves natural games. If he can get space and width with Shipperley on the edge we will win. If he forgets to pass, and Barnes decides to kick away the rest of the possession that comes our way, we will lose.

Tips
AB by 24
Boks by 2:(
Agree with first comment but I think in Bens case he looks to have seriously done some work on his scrummaging. I was NOT a fan going into Bledisloe of "Big Ben" (read pre posts) but i'm going to say it at risk of getting shot by the masses. He went well!.. Watch the replay and compare it to tapes last year Ben may just have had his Al Baxter moment.
Baxter had his well documented disaster and dug deep and I'm hoping Ben has turned the corner as he is better round the paddock than most. Has he been 1 offed coached by anyone?..is Noriega still in the frame?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'll let Hornet answer that one, but to be honest saffa crowds are pretty civilised and obviously knowledgeable about the game. They certainly help make a good atmosphere. Seems to be more families at Boks games compared to other opposition

At the 2009 test we were sitting behind a family of Boks supporters, but it was heartening to see the family sing both national anthems. They have obviously made Australia their home, but still go for the Boks in the rugby. I have plenty of respect for that. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot.

In the wash up, the crowd ratio isn't a huge factor at Subi. The crowd is so far from the game.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'll let Hornet answer that one, but to be honest saffa crowds are pretty civilised and obviously knowledgeable about the game. They certainly help make a good atmosphere. Seems to be more families at Boks games compared to other opposition

At the 2009 test we were sitting behind a family of Boks supporters, but it was heartening to see the family sing both national anthems. They have obviously made Australia their home, but still go for the Boks in the rugby. I have plenty of respect for that. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot.

In the wash up, the crowd ratio isn't a huge factor at Subi. The crowd is so far from the game.

Ditto at Suncorp!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
TBH, with so many Bok fans living in WA, what would you expect the composition of the crowd could be?

I'd hate to guess, but there is always a massive contingent of Saffers at one of these games. As a rule the crowd is also way better behaved than at an Eagles or Dockers game. The atmosphere is always good when there's a near full house.

As Charger said, they're good rugby people and as a general rule massively embrace the life here.

M

Moono75

I think you will find a big Saffa contingent at Subi tomorrow. Just head to the Leederville Hotel (Bok Town) prior to the game, every Saffa in Perth will be there.

Should be a cracking game. Both teams need to win to keep on the tails of the AB's. Fantastic weather tomorrow couldn't ask for better. I can taste the beers in Subi already.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
TPN in.

Moore can't stand in the backline with a torn hammy

Great news. One less wallaby forward cramping the backline

We have a backline that can score tries this week. Great to see Squeaky sitting next to Cummins in the grandstand

You've got your hookers mixed up again..........

Moore is the one with the excellent set piece, high work rate and strong ball carries.......

TPN is the one that hangs out in the centres and occasionally makes a good run or tackle for the highlight reel...

As for the backline......... I'm not going to look too much into it considering our recent form against the Boks..........

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)

Sounds like North Harbour stadium! LOL

W

Waylon

You've got your hookers mixed up again....

Moore is the one with the excellent set piece, high work rate and strong ball carries...

TPN is the one that hangs out in the centres and occasionally makes a good run or tackle for the highlight reel.

As for the backline... I'm not going to look too much into it considering our recent form against the Boks....

Moore is one of the reasons the wallaby pack gets raped when he plays. His defence wouldn't scare my old mum. His ball carries turn into flops on the ad line. His scrummaging is over rated........see Auckland and any test he has played V England

TPN is a demon. He genuinely hurts people and has the opposition ball carriers looking for him. He creates fear and panic with his kamakaze hits designed to maim and injure. He is fearless. TPN is prepared to bleed for his country or exit on a stretcher. This passion and pride in the jersey is what sets the allblacks apart and why the allblacks are so dominant. Squeaky has the element of self preservation that will ensure his retirement is pain free.

TPN can scrummage. The Tah front row is the best in Australia

TPN lineout throwing used to be a massive weakness but he has improved considerably.

TPN brings the mongrel and the fear that wallaby packs consistently lack. Wallaby forwards are the joke of international rugby and have been for decades. Even in the halcyon years, our frontrow was considered a weakness.

TPN gets the Waylon big tick for mean and nasty bastards that gain respect from the fear factor they bring. He's 'ard

The new rule for Australian forward selection should be "does this guy hurt people? "

Until Australia turns out forward packs that bully people, hurt people and dominate the tackle contest and collision zone instead of trying to play the ruck and run game and go for the losers objective of "parity", we will always be second best in the big matches that really matter

It's hard to remember an allblack pack that wasn't feared for aggression, power, physicality, toughness and tenacity..........perhaps that is why they have been the bench mark in world rugby for 100 years??????????????????????????

It isn't rocket science

Rugby is a contact sport won by the toughest, meanest, strongest people

Whilst Australia continues to pick pussies in our forward pack, we will continue to be the laughing stock of world rugby in the forwards

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Game Day. BullDust is finished. Time to put the family jewellery on the line and pick a score.

Men in Gold by 8 points. 2 Tries to 1. Shipperley to score 1st Try off a Two Dads surprise pass.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Game Day. BullDust is finished. Time to put the family jewellery on the line and pick a score.

Men in Gold by 8 points. 2 Tries to 1. Shipperley to score 1st Try off a Two Dads surprise pass.
Rex Mossop would have been proud of your last sentence.
Wallabies by 6. I think there'll be a few more tries.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd hate to guess, but there is always a massive contingent of Saffers at one of these games. As a rule the crowd is also way better behaved than at an Eagles or Dockers game. The atmosphere is always good when there's a near full house.

As Charger said, they're good rugby people and as a general rule massively embrace the life here.

I guessed as much, and suspect that our "home-ground advantage" will be diluted somewhat, or possibly eliminated!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
If it's a close game, with only minutes to go, Mike Harris will kick a penalty from the sidline to give us the lead and a "get out of gaol" victory!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think you will find a big Saffa contingent at Subi tomorrow. Just head to the Leederville Hotel (Bok Town) prior to the game, every Saffa in Perth will be there.

Should be a cracking game. Both teams need to win to keep on the tails of the AB's. Fantastic weather tomorrow couldn't ask for better. I can taste the beers in Subi already.

JB O'Reilly's is where I'll be pre-game. Looking forward to it. Beautiful day outside...

Status
Not open for further replies.