• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I seem to recall that Whittaker's nickname was "Splinters" because he never got off the bench, no matter how crap Gregan played and some of the time he was super crappy! Whittaker was good at the Tahs. Thanks to our great coaches we never found out whether he was any good as an international. Exactly the same can be said for Burgess under Deans. Even when Genia was so completely crap last year in the world cup, Burgess never got a decent look-in.

Unless the mindset of coaches changes, we'll never know if White is any good unless Genia has a major long term injury. If Deans is still coach we will never find out anyway - he prefers Phipps. People keep dribbling on about Deans ability as a talent spotter. As a contra, I present Deans selection of halfback back-ups this year.
Anthems, not Splinters.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
For all the crap Burgess you used to get (both justified and not), he did have a distinct skill that changed games: his darting runs tight to the ruck. Against a tiring side he provided a significant point of difference from Genia, who can do this but for whom it's not a central part of his game.

Hopefully Nick White can take on a similar role. I'd really like to see Genia's minutes limited a bit as over-playing him has (RWC) and will come back to haunt us.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
@ Lee Enfield

I agree with you on the whole regarding back replacements except for halfback.

If we had a decent reserve halfback I think they can really provide impact.

Whittaker was good under Gregan and Burgess was good under Genia.

Hopefully in time White can provide that behind Genia.

Agreed on the half back. You only have to look at the way the Kiwis have used their scrum halves over the last few seasons to see how effective that can be, especially if they have different strengths to play to. Hopefully White will fill that role.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Thoughts on the boks line up people??

- The backline is really solid. I like to look of it. strong centre combination. Could be a long night for sookface. Kirchner is pretty unimpressive imho. Pienaar is reliable but i think the boks would have been better off in the long run sticking with Hoggard at 9. M Steyn is so well suited to the bok game plan, but personally I think Lambie at 10 could really turn this into an impressive attacking backline.
- The forward pack isn't particularly ominous. Usually I'm a bit worried looking at the Bok pack but this isn't a particularly impressive pack on party.

W

What2040

Hey Lee - they used about 100,000 of your namesakes in the second Boer War to beat them. We have only a few "guns" now but the battle continues in Perth

Those bloody Bokkies still scare me but hopefully Oz will get up. Wallabies by 12

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Both Latham and Campo probably had the X Factor.

There was no call for them to be the playmaker #10 though, unlike many pundits now with respect to the 2012 X Factor triplets.

The previous RWC winners have probably had plenty of X Factor players but not at #10, where Mr Dependable has been selected. (Bernie Larkhan excluded).

T

TOCC

Both Latham and Campo probably had the X Factor.

There was no call for them to be the playmaker #10 though, unlike many pundits now with respect to the 2012 X Factor triplets.

The previous RWC winners have probably had plenty of X Factor players but not at #10, where Mr Dependable has been selected. (Bernie Larkhan excluded).

Actually when Flatley retired there was actually talk of putting Latham into 5/8 at the Reds....

T

tranquility

I dont know how serious it was, Latho could not pass on either side of his body.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lots of talk about the centres. The reason they don't pass is that they only get the ball 3 times a game. I wouldn't pass either. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is clearly the best option here and only a complete imbecile would keep moving him about.

I don't like the look of our forward pack. Or to put that another way, I dont like the look of their forward pack. If they run over us in the R&M then our powderpuff backline will go to pieces.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 3 positions in 3 games. Must be a record!

To be fair though everyone of his coaches have moved him around. Deans more than most.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
It was specifically in reply to a post relating to the team for the two Bledisloe tests.

Various people have questioned whether the players have faith in Deans. I can guarantee that if half the team was axed after beating Wales 3-0, he would very quickly lose the dressing room.

Team changes have to be gradual and you need to maintain cohesion and experience. If we blooded too many inexperienced players at once I am sure we would get smashed by top opposition. Performing in the Bledisloe Cup is a whole different kettle of fish to playing well in Super Rugby. If we suddenly had a whole host of players with less than 10 tests under their belts (and several uncapped players), we'd really struggle.

Like most people here I quite like the shape of the team for this Saturday. The selections are going in the right direction. I very much think the time you can make some big changes is at the start of a season but after that you really can only make gradual changes to your team. If you don't think that continued training with the same core group of players is going to turn them into a better team then you may as well give up.

Braveheart 81, I get your drift, and perhaps I was a bit tough on you, (nothing personal), but really, I am sick of hearing about the All Blacks! Their superior attitude, the fact that we have to endure two versions of their National Anthem, then sit through a "Traditional Maori War Chant" (that has been 'updated/modernised' 3 times in the last 10-12 years), [IMO a stretching session designed to intimidate, yet it's sanctioned by the IRB], are the reasons why I'm hapy to think of other Rugby nations, especially South Africa and Los Pumas, during the Rugby Championship!!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Braveheart 81, I get your drift, and perhaps I was a bit tough on you, (nothing personal), but really, I am sick of hearing about the All Blacks! Their superior attitude, the fact that we have to endure two versions of their National Anthem, then sit through a "Traditional Maori War Chant" (that has been 'updated/modernised' 3 times in the last 10-12 years), [IMO a stretching session designed to intimidate, yet it's sanctioned by the IRB], are the reasons why I'm hapy to think of other Rugby nations, especially South Africa and Los Pumas, during the Rugby Championship!!

Only two exclamation marks? Why not three?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thoughts on the boks line up people??

- The backline is really solid. I like to look of it. strong centre combination. Could be a long night for sookface. Kirchner is pretty unimpressive imho. Pienaar is reliable but i think the boks would have been better off in the long run sticking with Hoggard at 9. M Steyn is so well suited to the bok game plan, but personally I think Lambie at 10 could really turn this into an impressive attacking backline.
- The forward pack isn't particularly ominous. Usually I'm a bit worried looking at the Bok pack but this isn't a particularly impressive pack on party.
Lampie will play in 15 not 10. Goosen will make his looooong awaited debut in 10. He will take us further in the future. The Bok wont lack Bok grunt. Both Etsebet, Kruger and Vermeulen will be the ruck cleaners and doing the dirty work. Hope to see Flo quick on, he is the missing link in the pack.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lampie will play in 15 not 10. Goosen will make his looooong awaited debut in 10. He will take us further in the future. The Bok wont lack Bok grunt. Both Etsebet, Kruger and Vermeulen will be the ruck cleaners and doing the dirty work. Hope to see Flo quick on, he is the missing link in the pack.

So any other player comes back from overseas and you complain that Meyer should never pick from overseas?

One of your Cape boys gets picked and you're happy?

Look I think it's the right thing to pick Louw but you can't have your cake and eat it Oom.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Agree we have the makings of sa fantastic pack, possibly our best yet. Get Battleship, Schalk, Coenie and Brussow back and possibly even Juan Smit and we have great depth.

Meyer needs to wake up and start Lambie FFS.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree we have the makings of sa fantastic pack, possibly our best yet. Get Battleship, Schalk, Coenie and Brussow back and possibly even Juan Smit and we have great depth.

Meyer needs to wake up and start Lambie FFS.

his days as a bok are over

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Team with all those guys, we will be lucky if the Bokke don't put 50 on us. Doesn't underdog status go to the home team in case of doubt? :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So any other player comes back from overseas and you complain that Meyer should never pick from overseas?

One of your Cape boys gets picked and you're happy?

Look I think it's the right thing to pick Louw but you can't have your cake and eat it Oom.
I still have a problem picking him, we sure have some fetchers but he is in the sqaud and should bring his poaching abilities to the team.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays consistently well but rarely brilliantly. This means he copes well with the chopping and changing but doesn't play games that simply demand he hold onto a particular jersey. It's the curse of utility.

The coaching team is placing a lot of emphasis on attack for this game.
I see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) brought in at outside centre to play Mortlock's style of running - straight up & hard to make the line bust. It would not surprise me to see QC (Quade Cooper) passing a fast ball to him leaving out Barnes.
This tactic will be assisted by Jean de Villiers, whose tackling of charging heavy backs is not his strong point.

Status
Not open for further replies.