• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mitchell and Beale were rushed into the starting side. We are only asking for Taps to be on the bench. He is a potential long term wallaby, where as I doubt Harris is. But like I said, his kicking probably gave him the nod, and indicates that Robbie might look to replace Barnes if he struggles again.

Mitchell wasn't exactly "rushed", he had been playing S15 and club and training for a while.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Harris is not a 15, his aerial ball skills are not at test level. Harris is also not a international standard 10.. Harris has one position he can fill at test level and that's a crash ball 12 who has passing skills.

Tapuai has been back fit and playing rugby for months now, he cannot be compared to Mitchell whose injuries and time out injured from the game were both different.

I agree. that's why i feel the ONLY reason Harris could be in this team is for his abilities as a sharp shooter, should the game become a penalty trade-off.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The team selected should be good enough to get the job done. It isn't perfect, but it is the best side we have put on the field this year, but in all, this team is a giant step forward in the right direction. As long as the forwards gain parity, the backs should be able to run in enough tries for us to win.
It all comes down to Deans' tactics and use of the bench. If he picks this team and persists with a defensive/conservative approach and uses the bench poorly, then I feel it could be a long night. If he lets Genia, Cooper, Ioane and Beale loose and lets them play their natural game, with Barnes not kicking the skin off the ball, then there is no reason why the Wallabies cant score 30 points.

:( Boned

T

tranquility

Don't share the love for Cummins. As a winger, Shipperly is the better player with more upside. With the return of JOC (James O'Connor) and McCabe, supposedly after this week, I think he will drop from the squad.

That might well be true, however I think Shipperley will be playing Wobs for a long time to come.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Harris is cover for the ball playing positions of 10 and 12, also because he is the best goal kicker in the country. And if I was coach he'd be cover for 15 if beale is injured or having another Barry Crocker, rather then moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) from 13 and putting Faingia on. I too feel for Cummins and wonder what more he has to do to get a crack, It almost makes you want to cry when you think about some of the players who have had their first Wallabies jerseys gifted to them.

The suggestion of Tapuai instead of Harris would be making the same mistake they made selecting Mitchell (and Beale to a lesser extent) of picking a player who is coming back from injury, a little under done, under prepared (in the team environment). The whole lack of match time is less about fitness and more about, decision making in a game, timing and mental confidence in your body and your ability.

Couldn't agree more regarding Harris. He gives the Wallabies plenty of options coming from the bench. He is a capable 12 and 15, and no worse than Barnes as a 10. I actually think he offers more for the Wallabies at 12 then Barnes does, with Cooper playing at 10.

T

TOCC

Mitchell wasn't exactly "rushed", he had been playing S15 and club and training for a while.

He might not have been rushed back before he was fit, but he was definitely rushed back before he was in form

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Couldn't agree more regarding Harris. He gives the Wallabies plenty of options coming from the bench. He is a capable 12 and 15, and no worse than Barnes as a 10. I actually think he offers more for the Wallabies at 12 then Barnes does, with Cooper playing at 10.

Harris offers zero impact other than goal kicking. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He is solid, yes, but coming on with 20 to go he isn't going to impact general play in any meaningful way. Wasted bench option.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Harris offers zero impact other than goal kicking. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He is solid, yes, but coming on with 20 to go he isn't going to impact general play in any meaningful way. Wasted bench option.

You must have watched as much of the Reds over the last 2 years I (and everyone else) have the waratahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He might not have been rushed back before he was fit, but he was definitely rushed back before he was in form

It is a fine line, good players (and Mitchell is one) are trusted to return from injury and roll straight into sides. Form? always easy to judge in hindsight, harder to decide in the now.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Few good touches in the highlights clip of Shipperley's tries. You may need to watch it again.

Yer but that was only Super Rugby, He has yet to show any sort of ability at Test level (end sarcasm). We all know Deans doesn't care if you play consistently well at Super Rugby or not play at all.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)

An essential feature of Irony is the indirect presentation of a contradiction between an action or expression and the contect in which it occurs.

So getting a guys name wrong, when you only contribute his name ... is by definition ... Ironic.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Boks
Backs: Kirchner, Habana, De Villiers, Steyn, Hougaard, Steyn, Pienaar
Forwards: Vermeulen, Alberts, Coetzee, Kruger, Etzebeth, Du Plessis, Strauss, Mtawarira

T

TOCC

It is a fine line, good players (and Mitchell is one) are trusted to return from injury and roll straight into sides. Form? always easy to judge in hindsight, harder to decide in the now.
like i said from the start of the 'rugby championship' he should have been playing club rugby rather then sitting on the bench in the first Bledisloe

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Boks
Backs: Kirchner, Habana, De Villiers, Steyn, Hougaard, Steyn, Pienaar
Forwards: Vermeulen, Alberts, Coetzee, Kruger, Etzebeth, Du Plessis, Strauss, Mtawarira

Pretty spot on team. Shame for the Saffas JP Peiterson is injured after such a good Super Rugby season. He would have been the only other inclusion I would select in their backs. But they are missing some good players in the forwards aren't they? Where is Andres Bekker?

It was interesting reading an article which stated Kirchner would have trouble with the Aussie pace now shipperly is selected. Was this poor journalism or has there previously been a question mark over his pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.