• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still don't see too many changes from the first two Bledisloe Tests. I think the decision will be that we were beaten by a really good team and there will still be faith in most of the players.

Obviously that will change if we get beaten by South Africa and Argentina but at this stage I'd say the mindset will be that these guys beat Wales, weren't good enough to beat New Zealand but we still consider them our best players that can beat the Springboks and Pumas.

If the Rugby Championship had been in the opposite order and we'd won our first four tests and then lost twice to New Zealand, I doubt there'd be the same arguments about widespread changes and ditching a whole bunch of players.

I think Beale will remain on the bench and someone will be blooded on the wing, but I fully expect 10-13 to remain Cooper, Barnes, Horne.

Assuming we have a 4-3 bench split again, Shipperley or Cummins will play on the wing and Tapuai or Cummins will be on the bench. If Shipperley doesn't start on the wing, he won't be in the 22.

T

tranquility

I also dont think that a fetcher should be taking up a position on the bench

I agree. It only works with Pocock + whomever due to the enormous load he carries as a 7+.

Another real positive for Shipperley is that he is a pretty big bloke as well as being a genuine winger with pace.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
BH, I think you're probably right... But most of the teams people are proposing are what they'd like to see, not what they think will happen!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, I think you're probably right. But most of the teams people are proposing are what they'd like to see, not what they think will happen!

I gave up on saying what team I'd like to see around the same time I stopped telling Santa Claus what I wanted for Christmas.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Ryan
4. Douglas
5. Sharpe
6. Hooper
7. Gill
8. Samo

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. Ashley Cooper
14. Shipperly
15. Barnes

16. Robinson
17. Charles
18. Timani (Prefer Pyle)
19. Higginbotham
20. White
21. Cummins
22. Beale (Last chance to show some hunger before a spell in the paddock)

What the hell, lets roll the dice and see if some of the young guys stand up.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays his absolute best for the Wallabies at 13. I think he is wasted at 15.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I really think Tapuai needs to get a gig sometime very soon, whether it be at 12/13/Bench, he is the type of 12 we are looking for. All rounder, good tackling, good distribution, handy left foot kicker and most importantly line-breaker. Was the best Australian back this season before injury.

T

TOCC

I just want to see a finisher in the backline..... I obviously love Digby, but his workload and positioning means his not scoring many tries... Barnes, Fainga'a and Quade aren't finishers..AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) used to be but has suffered from been shunted around, he has been lacking in this department for the last 18months.

JOC (James O'Connor) and Shipperly are your finishers, both talented with good rugby brains to know what lines to rub.

Correct me if in wrong, but out of the backline last week, Genia was the highest try scorer during the Super Rugby season, that's not saying much..

T

TOCC

I agree. It only works with Pocock + whomever due to the enormous load he carries as a 7+.

Another real positive for Shipperley is that he is a pretty big bloke as well as being a genuine winger with pace.

He actually played a bit of 13 at school, his profile says he is 94kg at the moment, could easily bulk up a little more with his frame..

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
slipper
moore
ben
timani
sharpe
higginbotham
hooper
Samo
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Barnes (Tapuai)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Shipperly
Beale (last chance saloon)

TPN
Alexander
Pyle/Neville
Gill
Phipps
Inman
Cummins

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would be really happy if Ships came in for Mitchell, Beale started at 15, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and Taps was on the bench to play 30 minutes at 12.
In the pack maybe Slipper starting at TH with Alexander on the bench.
That is about all the changes that could be practically made without upsetting the apple cart too much. Maybe Samo starting as well but he is also very useful as an impact player along with TPN.

M

Moono75

Give Cummins the start. He wants it more and has the size to play wing and 13. Good defence too, the Badger wont't let the Wallabies down.

M

Moono75

who's to say there is any clear direction in any decisions being made by Australian rugby right now. Were kinda cruising in the twilight zone at the moment.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
as good a player that AWH is and he a WA boy so i would love to see him get a shot. the bloke is like 100 years old he has missed his chance. I wish Wykes wasnt injured he would be great as a lock who can cover 6.

If a player is one of the best options and in good form age shouldn't be a consideration, along with the fact that 32 isn't all that old. Coupled with the notion that experience is needed in the side AWH should be a lay down misere for a bench spot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I just want to see a finisher in the backline... I obviously love Digby, but his workload and positioning means his not scoring many tries. Barnes, Fainga'a and Quade aren't finishers..AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) used to be but has suffered from been shunted around, he has been lacking in this department for the last 18months.

JOC (James O'Connor) and Shipperly are your finishers, both talented with good rugby brains to know what lines to rub.

Correct me if in wrong, but out of the backline last week, Genia was the highest try scorer during the Super Rugby season, that's not saying much..

no use using finishers when we have no idea to give them the space to finish

T

TOCC

no use using finishers when we have no idea to give them the space to finish

good finishers will also find space, against the AB's our outside backs received the ball a few times with potential space in front of them or the players outside them, but took the wrong option nearly every time

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
good finishers will also find space, against the AB's our outside backs received the ball a few times with potential space in front of them or the players outside them, but took the wrong option nearly every time

Sort of not my point

This side doesn't go to the outside after creating space for a finisher, the wingers are used on inside lines to keep closer to the forwards so they are not isolated and turnedover. Digby's skill of getting through traffic by footwork is what works, Mitchell was able to preform the same feats of getting over the advantage line, as could JOC (James O'Connor). The wing replacement needs that skill set unless we change the side's game plan (I would be happy with that, but it is unlikely)

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Horses for courses Wallaby team for Sth Africa match;

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Ryan
4. Sharpe
5. Timani
6. Neville
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Cummins
14. Shipperley
15. Ashley-Cooper

16. Polota Nau
17. Alexander
18. Dennis
19. Gill
20. Phipps
21. Tapuai
22. Barnes

Out; Beale to get his head right off field, Robinson to get fit and some miles in his legs without playing, Dennis off the bench to regain confidence and add some steel late in the game, Barnes off the bench to provide early cover to a 10,12,15 injury or maybe later to close out the game
In; Slipper as he's very good around the field and a strong loose head, Ryan because he's big, can play and scrums well, Neville because he's a big athletic unit and adds the dimension and pace we need in the forwards plus back up support as a lock, Tapuai because we need to see if he can handle this level and make an impact or move on to someone else, Shipperley because he is fast (in defence too) and totally deserves his chance, McCabe & Cummins to get us over the adv line and get our pack going forward from set pieces.

With this selection of backline pace and power, and assuming parity in the forwards, Cooper should be able to get them firing.
Sharpe needs to be there for experience and leadership.

M

Moono75

Like the selections It is What It Is. I think if Cummins gets a chance he will be one of those players that knows this is his chance and will grasp it.

Status
Not open for further replies.