• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see whether Pat McCabe comes back in at 12, gets moved to 13 or comes back via the bench. I guess the other option is that he could be used on the wing.

It will be interesting to see what the pecking order of players they're trying to keep in the team.

If McCabe comes back to 12, I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper went back to the bench and Barnes moved to 10. Barnes was clearly poor against the All Blacks in Auckland but I'm not convinced he'll be squeezed out of the side.

I will be surprised if there are any changes in the forward pack from the Auckland test. I guess there is a chance Simmons could come back in for Gill and/or Samo starting, Higgers moving to 6 and Dennis to the bench. I would be more surprised if that change happened though.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
10 Cooper/Barnes
11 Digby
12 Taps/Barnes
13 Horne/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Cummins
15 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Beale

If Beale is right to go then he starts at 15 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 and Horne in the stands.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd definitely bench Dennis, possibly drop him out of the 22 all together. He's made no impact in his two starts. Players need to learn that if they dont make the most of their chances, theyll miss out next time. I'd prefer to have Gill on the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd definitely bench Dennis, possibly drop him out of the 22 all together. He's made no impact in his two starts. Players need to learn that if they dont make the most of their chances, theyll miss out next time. I'd prefer to have Gill on the bench.

I'd bench Dennis and give Samo a start at 8 for some extra physicality early in the game, but I wouldn't drop Dennis to leave Gill in the team.

Dennis and Higgers were easily the two best 6s in Australia in 2012. Neither of them are competitive with Kieran Read as a number 8 in test rugby and both were outplayed by Messam who was a standout in the Super Rugby winning team.

I think dropping one or both of them for failing to shine against the All Blacks is a bad decision and will just leave us standing still. Both were good against Wales.

If we keep chopping and changing inexperienced test players just because they're not as good as the best backrow in world rugby then we'll never ever end with a top backrow.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
1.Robinson
2.Moore
3.Slipper
4.Sharpe
5.Timani
6.Higgers
7.Hooper
8.Samo
9.Genia
10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.Taps
13.Horne
14.Shipperley/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16.TPN
17.Alexander
18.Simo
19.Gill
20.Phipps
21.Barnes
22.Beale

knowing the Bok game plan we are going to need our back 3 to be solid under the high ball. Id much prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back there (on current form i cant trust beale).

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd bench Dennis and give Samo a start at 8 for some extra physicality early in the game, but I wouldn't drop Dennis to leave Gill in the team.

Dennis and Higgers were easily the two best 6s in Australia in 2012. Neither of them are competitive with Kieran Read as a number 8 in test rugby and both were outplayed by Messam who was a standout in the Super Rugby winning team.

I think dropping one or both of them for failing to shine against the All Blacks is a bad decision and will just leave us standing still. Both were good against Wales.

If we keep chopping and changing inexperienced test players just because they're not as good as the best backrow in world rugby then we'll never ever end with a top backrow.

Agree, Samo at #8 is probably worth a try to give some early go forward.

Hooper was really good last week and may be able to play a full game but risky not to have a backup #7 on the bench - none of the other backrowers in the 22 could even go close to filling that role if Hooper got injured.

Higginbotham is a #6 and both he and Dennis have been out of form in the first two games. Select one of them at #6 and the other would have to drop out of the 22.

Unlikely Radike can play a full game and be effective so you need #8 cover in the 22, so Higginbotham would stay IMO but he'd want to get his act together or he'll surely be dropped.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
1.Robinson
2.Moore
3.Slipper
4.Sharpe
5.Timani
6.Higgers
7.Hooper
8.Samo
9.Genia
10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.Taps
13.Horne
14.Shipperley/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16.TPN
17.Alexander
18.Simo
19.Gill
20.Phipps
21.Barnes
22.Beale

knowing the Bok game plan we are going to need our back 3 to be solid under the high ball. Id much prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back there (on current form i cant trust beale).

I can't see Taps coming straight into the starting side - Barnes will probably start but Taps on the bench is a possibility.

Good point about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at the back because it will be raining high balls.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Radike definitely can't play a full game. You'd probably tell him to give everything he's got before half time. If he makes it to half time you either replace him then or get another 5 minutes out of him and then sub him.

If we're starting Radike then you probably need Dennis and Gill on the bench. Samo is going to have to come off, Higgers moves to 8 and you bring Dennis on at 6. If you bring Gill on at 6, you're then left with no replacement backrower if there is an injury (Simmons would have to play in the backrow).

I guess this discussion is coming down to whether it is better having Simmons as your emergency backrower or Dennis as your emergency lock.

Of course the other option is to go back to a 5-2 bench split and play both of them.

W

What2040

I can't see Taps coming straight into the starting side - Barnes will probably start but Taps on the bench is a possibility.

Good point about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at the back because it will be raining high balls.

Scott agree re Taps

Only changes I would make in BDA's team is Slipper at LHP and Alexander at THP - Robbo is lucky to be in 22 after number of tackles made3 last week and performances generally (at least Alexander is pretty good around the field, Moore and Slipper very good - so other forwards must like playing with them - takes pressure off the rest if they do their jobs) - would also give KB (Kurtley Beale) the flick UNTIL he proves himself to be not only fit and fat free but solid improvement is seen in attitude both on and off the field. Would rather see Morahan at 22. Higgers needs to have a big one..........

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree, Samo at #8 is probably worth a try to give some early go forward.

Hooper was really good last week and may be able to play a full game but risky not to have a backup #7 on the bench - none of the other backrowers in the 22 could even go close to filling that role if Hooper got injured.

Higginbotham is a #6 and both he and Dennis have been out of form in the first two games. Select one of them at #6 and the other would have to drop out of the 22.

Unlikely Radike can play a full game and be effective so you need #8 cover in the 22, so Higginbotham would stay IMO but he'd want to get his act together or he'll surely be dropped.

Lack of the back up 7 isn't as big of a concern vs the Boks. If we are only going to have 2 loose forward reserves, then we can't have one as reserve for Hooper only, particularly if Samo starts (as there will be one for him only).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I guess this discussion is coming down to whether it is better having Simmons as your emergency backrower or Dennis as your emergency lock.

Of course the other option is to go back to a 5-2 bench split and play both of them.

Dennis is decent at the line-out and I'm thinking we actually need the 4:3 split thanks to injuries in the outside backs. My guess is that KB (Kurtley Beale) will recover his starting spot for that reason, which is poor, IMO. He should have to earn it back. My team would be:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Digby
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. Honey Badger
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. TPN
17. Alexander
18. Dennis
19. Gill
20. Phipps (urgh)
21. Tapaui
22. Beale

I could be persuaded that Shipperley should go at 14, in which case Cummins drops out. Taps off the bench due to his recent injuries.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Lack of the back up 7 isn't as big of a concern vs the Boks. If we are only going to have 2 loose forward reserves, then we can't have one as reserve for Hooper only, particularly if Samo starts (as there will be one for him only).

This is a good point, but I think Hooper could play 6 if need be.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's certainly a better lock than Dennis but not a better number 6.

I'd back Dave Dennis to have more impact in test rugby than AWH.

Status
Not open for further replies.