• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

I honestly think that we throw some guys out to the wolves and see how they perform. They might be scarred for life, but surely they can't be any worse than the guys we keep picking!

With that in mind, I would select something like:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Sharpe
5. Douglas
6. Schatz
7. Hooper (If the reports are true and Poey is injured)
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Taps
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale

Bench would be a 5/2 split
16. Robinson
17. TPN
18. Dennis
19. Samo
20. Simmons
21. Harris
22. Insert reserve halfback here

We need to really front up. We need a pack that works hard, and works as a pack! Guys that relish the work in tight are a must. I would like to see Mowen in the squad, but that isn't going to happen.

An alternative backrow could be:
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Samo

As others have suggested, Have Samo on for the first 30 and then bring on someone else. I would sub Samo for Schatz. At about the 55-60 min mark, sub higgers for Dennis and bring Simmons on for Douglas. I would probably bring Robbo on at the 60 min mark too. Take Kepu off, and push Slipper to TH. 65 mins would see TPN come on. Play the game out with those guys.

If we are going to keep our 7 on for the whole game, I don't see much point in having a backup 7 on the bench. It is just a wasted bench spot.

It would be a big ask for guys like Douglas, Schatz, Hooper, Taps and even Cooper. But we can't keep hitting our heads against a brick wall over and over.

Unfortunately, this scenario is not likely to eventuate. Starting Taps would mean drafting him in from outside of the squad, something that Robbie will not do. If that is the case, then I would have to say we keep Horne, as there is no other option.

On another note, I am sure it has been said many times now, but how far away is Palmer from being fit?

Agree with most Red Baron
was at the game and the AB's dominated in the sgression stakes. The whole front row capitulated. I also would replace Robbo with Slipper, TPN with Moore, but have to leave Kepu because there is no one else. If Palmer was fit and even though average around the field I am sure he would play his skiin out for Australia. The old front row played with nothing - passion or agression. Simmo for Tamani

Drop Beale - obviously head on shoulders just too big to see the ball (and dropped it) or those big Blacks running his way. Go back to club, get some game time, a little humility and then return. Like to see Taps get a shot

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cooper should be picked over Barnes and If so It will just proves that Dean's and the ARU have there Special players, Nothing wrong with Cooper he has been fit for months. Barnes played like a NRL player, our backs hardly even got over the Advantage line... Finger and Diggers break the Advantage with his Cooper flat passing to there Chest. And more pick and drive
If the same team plays this week, Im heading out to get a All Blacks.

I like Red Barons team,minus TPN he should be axed... Wish full thinking.

AB's by 20+ if the same team play.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
Deans needs changes and should bring them in. Without Pocock he needs to try something very radical. I expect a caning of this idea but pick both Gill and Hooper to start. With one of them the AB's with have them rattled. We so desperately need a pilferer as the weekend showed. So may as well try both. Change is so desperately needed.

It's common sense to play both Cooper and Barnes as well as use AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at outside centre and bring Mitchell in. Alternatively throw Fainga'a at 13 and retain AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.

I could mention the bench but what's the point if Deans won't utilise it.

AB's by 30 if Deans picks a similar team.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I could mention the bench but what's the point if Deans won't utilise it.

True, Its fuck'n frustrating. Pocock injured early 1st half now he is out for who knows how long at this stage... Why pick Hooper, doesn't Dean trust the younger fellas

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the reason that Hoooper didn't get on the field on Saturday was because they weren't sure if Pocock would last the game, then I thought the bench was used reasonably well.

Moore and Slipper could have come on 5-10 minutes earlier but aside from that I thought it was fine.

Phipps is only going to be used if Genia gets injured and if you only have one other back reserve, they're not going to get used unless there is an injury.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
If the reason that Hoooper didn't get on the field on Saturday was because they weren't sure if Pocock would last the game, then I thought the bench was used reasonably well.

Moore and Slipper could have come on 5-10 minutes earlier but aside from that I thought it was fine.

Phipps is only going to be used if Genia gets injured and if you only have one other back reserve, they're not going to get used unless there is an injury.

It's great to see some optimism, despite a misfiring back line he didn't even bring Mitchell on. I'm sorry but I think it's common sense to sub under performing players. Call me ignorant but isn't that what a bench is for? Or are you saying the back line was worth keeping on the field?

abrixon

Bob McCowan (2)
Obviously changes need to be made. A lot of people are being unrealistic about the changes and thinking of individuals that excel in each position and not how to get the best combination to have a balance of attack and defence.

Genia - Auto selection
Cooper - We need his attacking flair and ability to create something from nothing
Ioane - Auto selection
Barnes - Cooper needs attacking and strategic assistance.
Horne - I don't understand the hatred towards him. Had a better game than Finger, didn't have a bad game at all when you think his job was to defend and not attack and i think he offers a little more than Finger in both attack and defence. We need at least one staunch defender to contain SBW and Nonu. When there are creative people around him he does get into the attacking mind frame. I remember his game against the Hurricanes 2 years ago when he was a menace when he had Beale, Barnes, Turner and Mitchell being creative around him. He was much better than the Hurricane centres that night - Nonu and Conrad Smith.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - auto selection
Beale - Benefit of the doubt "off night" another sloppy performance will detail his need for match fitness.

White, Harris, Mitchell on the bench.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Cooper should be picked over Barnes and If so It will just proves that Dean's and the ARU have there Special players, Nothing wrong with Cooper he has been fit for months. Barnes played like a NRL player, our backs hardly even got over the Advantage line. Finger and Diggers break the Advantage with his Cooper flat passing to there Chest. And more pick and drive
If the same team plays this week, Im heading out to get a All Blacks.

I like Red Barons team,minus TPN he should be axed. Wish full thinking.

AB's by 20+ if the same team play.

I will preface this by saying my preferred option is to play both Quade and Barnes.

But what part of coopers game against the all blacks in the last couple of years actually makes him an automatical selection against them for so many like yourself? He has delivered as little as Barnes has in terms of getting results.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did anyone else think that Hansen's use of the bench was just as bad if not worse than Robbie's on Saturday??

Now that you mention it, yeah. I remember thinking at about the 65 min mark 'has Hansen made any changes?'. I know Retallick came on, but he subbed Mealamu for Hore really late didn't he? I don't think Vito got a run either. Did Hansen go to the 'Robbie school of interchange tactics'?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Did anyone else think that Hansen's use of the bench was just as bad if not worse than Robbie's on Saturday??

Hore - 78 minutes
Franks - 65 minutes
Retallick - 53 minutes
Both Ends Wee Poo - 80 minutes

DNP
Vito
Cruden
Smith B

If the Darkness do not want Cruden to play in their team, can we please borrow him?

Reactions: BPC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's great to see some optimism, despite a misfiring back line he didn't even bring Mitchell on. I'm sorry but I think it's common sense to sub under performing players. Call me ignorant but isn't that what a bench is for? Or are you saying the back line was worth keeping on the field?

Do you think bringing Mitchell on and reshuffling our backline would have made much any difference?

Who would you have brought him on for and what reshuffling would you have done?

If we'd had a playmaker on the bench then sure, it would have made sense to bring them on, but when you've got one outside back reserve who is there to cover injury essentially, at what point is it a good idea to use that reserve and risk having to put Phipps on the wing if there is an injury?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Out of adversity comes opportunity. Step up Michael Hooper. Gill to the bench.

I know he has already played the Scots & Wales coming off the bench but his first game starting will be against the ABs & at Eden Park of all places. Talk about baptism of fire! Have a blinder young Hooper.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The final announcement of the team will generate much interest.

I think Dingo has to play some mind games with the announcement, provided he is straight up with his players, and keeps a tight control over what is passed on to the media for public consumption.

Oh and lock up all the twitters. There is a game of rugby to play. Leave all the twittering to all the interns.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If the Darkness do not want Cruden to play in their team, can we please borrow him?
images

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Barnes can tackle just fine
Any backrow worth its salt can cover the ten channel
We need to score tries. We need to unlock the allblacks defence and McCabe, Fainga'a and Horne aren't going to do it.
One of the few times we've seen Cooper 10/Barnes 12, the wallabies put 50+ on the French in Paris
If you were talking about Ioane, he's one of the hardest hitters in the game and he gets the ball in his hands more at 13. I'd be happy with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and Ioane on the wing but I think Beale is a liability. He's never lived up to the hype in my opinion. I'm a bit of a fan of Luke Morahan from the Reds. Very competent, good defender and very elusive runner.
Beales never lived up to his hype??

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
But what part of coopers game against the all blacks in the last couple of years actually makes him an automatical selection against them for so many like yourself? He has delivered as little as Barnes has in terms of getting results.
'
I might be wrong but I recall of the wins we have had against the all blacks in the last couple of years, they have been with QC (Quade Cooper) at 5/8th, where as Barnes at 5/8th has not resulted in any wins (I may be wrong - I just can't recall all the team lineups over the last couple of years). I am not convinced that is solely due to QC (Quade Cooper) being at the helm though. The major issue is the forwards play style - not the guys that are there in the forwards, just the way they played.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Beales never lived up to his hype??
Beale has looked very ordinary his last two tests. Didn't see much of his Rebels form, but he doesn't look nearly as sharp to me. Go back about a year and he was in top shape - looked to have an extra yard of pace. Made him electric, particularly from standing start. This year he looks a little sluggish. Not sure if he is still carrying some niggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.