• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
All Blacks

Interesting choice at 3.

A starting spot as reward for a lot of work in the squad. If the ABs think they have the depth they may as well test it. And to be perfectly honest it's not like he is going to be facing a powerhouse scrum.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm quite nervous about this match as a NZ supporter. The AB's have at times had issues getting themselves up for the dead rubber in a Bledisloe and playing at suncorp is a non-trivial exercise. I'm expecting Beale to turn on a big performance if his forwards can consistently get some go forward. I get the feeling that the Aussies from earlier in the season have gone.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Darkness have named a fairly powerful and competant 22.

Has there been much comment in the Shaky Isles about team composition?

I can only think that there could be comment on Messum/Vito/Cane and Franks/Faumuina. Regardless strong arguments can be mounted to support all 22 players and the choice of a 4/3 Bench.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
We're apparently 'vulnerable':

Wallabies assistant coach Nick Scrivener has declared the All Blacks eminently ''vulnerable'' for Saturday's Test against Australia.
Amid a prevailing view the Wallabies in their injury-hit state cannot challenge the dominance of the world champions, Scrivener said the All Blacks were too ''comfortable'' to be unbeatable.
''They've had limited disruption with their personnel, they're very comfortable with how they play,'' he said. ''We definitely have identified areas where we think we can go and play with pressure and those points are going to be very important. Where we apply that pressure we've just got to play well.''
The Wallabies' victory against Argentina in Rosario 12 days ago provided a much-needed morale boost for the group, many of whom received late call-ups to the squad.
But the ball-handling chaos wrought by high humidity that same night sent a shiver up the spines of many supporters who know ball control is the key to trumping a side as unforgiving as the All Blacks.
Scrivener acknowledged the need for the Wallabies to pull together a complete performance in the final trans-Tasman Test.
''We've done well in all parts of our game [at different times], we've just got to put them together,'' he said.
''We're confident in games, we're not scoring tries but we're putting pressure on opposition to make mistakes and give penalties away. We're getting access through penalty goals and all those sorts of things, but definitely one area of our game is to get flow and tempo back ... We won't be sticking out the jumper for 80 minutes this week that's for sure.''
Aggression and physicality were an area, Scrivener said, in which the Wallabies proved their mettle during the Rugby Championship. The return of No.8 Wycliff Palu to the back row, alongside blindside breakaway Scott Higginbotham and second-rower Sitaleki Timani, will give the Wallabies' pack further grunt this weekend.
''To large degrees I think that's actually served us well, that area of the game, over the last two weeks,'' Scrivener said.
''Look at those games we were behind when we came back, upping the physical side of things brought us back into the game [and] certainly last week you look at the Argentina game and how physical they are, I thought the way we started that game - very, very physically - was a strong part of our game. So we're not shying away from that, we actually see that when we do that well it's a strength of ours.''
There were a few around the Wallabies yesterday who thought the squad's mental game needed bolstering. Former Wallabies Geoff Shaw and Tony Shaw, who were in the 1979 team that won back the Bledisloe for the first time in decades, said hunger and a refusal to be dominated was the key to beating the Kiwis.
''It's a couple of inches up the top of the scone that wins [Tests],'' Tony Shaw said. ''There needs to be a burning desire at every stage to win every game and to win every contest. I think it's really important that we engender that. The players themselves, it's got to come from them.''

Geoff Shaw said the Wallabies needed to make sure they ''played against'' the All Blacks and did not just stand back and marvel at the spectacle.
''You spend time watching other teams, not playing against other teams,'' Shaw said. ''You wait for them to produce what they're supposed to produce at a higher level ... the dominance of a team can be fairly overpowering.''
- Sydney Morning Herald

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Richie McCaw goes into the All Black changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit down. "What's up guys?" he asks.

"Well Richie, to be honest we're having all sorts of trouble getting motivated for this game against Australia . We know it's important but we've just beaten Argentina and South Africa in consecutive weeks and, let's be honest, it's only the Aussies this week. They're crap and we simply can't be bothered".

Richie looks at them and says "Okay guys, I hear what you're saying. The way I've been playing recently, I reckon I can beat these Aussies by myself. Why don't you fellas go down to the pub, have a few jars and maybe catch it on telly. I really think I can do this by myself"

The rest of the team reckon it’ll work and they agree. So Richie goes out to play the Wallabies by himself while the rest of the ABs go off for a few pots. After a couple, they begin to wonder how the game is going, so they get the barman to put the telly on.

A huge cheer goes up as the screen reads (after 10 minutes): "New Zealand 7, (McCaw, converted try) -- Australia 0”

Dammit, he's actually beating Australia all by himself. Surely he can't do it, can he?

Anyway, a few more beers later, the telly goes off and the game is temporarily forgotten until someone suddenly remembers, "Heck, It must be full time now, let's see how Richie got on". They get the telly put back on and look on eagerly.

There on the screen is the result: Full-time from Eden Park,: New Zealand 7, (McCaw, 1 converted try); Australia 7, (Sharpe, 1 try, Cooper 1 conversion.)

They can't believe it! It's a draw. Richie v Australia and he single-handedly managed a draw against the Aussie Wallabies!

Delighted, they rush back to Eden Park to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, slumped over with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down guys," he mumbles disconsolately. "I'm so sorry, but I've really let you down."

"Don't be an idiot skipper; you got a draw against Australia, all alone, all by yourself. And they only scored a single try, right at the death, after 79 minutes!”

"No, no, I have" says Richie. "I've let you down. I hope you can forgive me. Twenty minutes from full time, I got sent off!"

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
An all-Auckland front row. At least the Blues had something right.

A few weeks back Hansen said he wanted to create competition for the number 3 spot.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The Darkness have named a fairly powerful and competant 22.

Has there been much comment in the Shaky Isles about team composition?

I can only think that there could be comment on Messum/Vito/Cane and Franks/Faumuina. Regardless strong arguments can be mounted to support all 22 players and the choice of a 4/3 Bench.

Not much. Mealamu gets a start for obvious reasons. Vito back in lets Thomson play for Otago tomorrow night. I personally think Romano and Retallick are still far from the finished product and am hoping for a dominant display from them. But that will come.

With richie taking on the enforcer role that Kaino had, the pressure is off Vito and messum somewhat. I like Adam Thomson, the guy has a huge workrate and would like to see more of him. Maybe the end of year tour.

For all the wishful thinking talk of the ABs being complacent, I suspect they are far from it. They have multiple reasons to want to come out all guns blazing. Do it for Shag, Kevvy's 100th, equalling the world record for consecutive wins, proving they can back up 2 good performances. Oh yes, and smashing the Wallabies in their backyard.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7830695/Keven-Mealamu-to-start-for-100th-milestone

Keven Mealamu has been spared any potential anxiety attacks by being named to start his 100th test on Saturday night.
Rather than make the hooker sit on the bench and wait for the boss's signal to replace Andrew Hore, All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has appropriately awarded Mealamu the No 2 jersey for the dead rubber against the Wallabies at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.
Inserting the controversial R-word - rotation - into reports is never appreciated by Hansen but he will find few New Zealanders, if any, will have any truck with his decision to switch rakes for this test.
The popular Mealamu joins Richie McCaw and Mils Muliaina as just the third man to mark a century of appearances for the All Blacks as they chase their 17th consecutive win.
Hansen has made just one other change from the side that swamped the Springboks 32-16 in Soweto on October 8; tighthead prop Charlie Faumuina comes in for his first start and Owen Franks moves to the bench.
This week Wallabies loose forward Scott Higginbotham tried to add some heat to the buildup by noting the Melbourne Rebels unexpectedly beat the Crusaders during the winter. It can be done again, said the Queenslander.
But even the most myopic Australian supporter would struggle to match his enthusiasm.
Of major concern for the Wallabies is the fact the All Blacks have several poignant reasons to flick the switch in Brisbane.
The New Zealanders will look at the scarred head of Mealamu to remind themselves why they must slather more misery on the Wallabies.
This is an addition to wanting to lighten a gloomy week for Hansen following the death of his father Des this week.
Since making his debut for the All Blacks against Wales in Cardiff in November 2002, Mealamu, now 33, has proved invaluable for his ability to operate either as a starter or an impact player and is a member of the side's leadership group.
"Kevvy is a hugely respected man, not only in the All Blacks and New Zealand rugby but also in his wider community," Hansen said.
"He is a key leader in the team and one of the true gentlemen of New Zealand rugby."
By re-jigging his bench Hansen has allowed loose forward Victor Vito to push out Adam Thomson and he will be available to play for Otago in tomorrow night's NPC championship semifinal against Tasman.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seriously what the fuck is wrong with our Players / Training Camps ?!?! We seem to constantly have players going down. We haven't had one game this year where no players have been injured in the lead up to a game. Seriously the All Blacks have had ZERO injuries this week and we've had like 4. this really grinds my gears.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
All Blacks
Israel Dagg
Cory Jane
Conrad Smith
Ma'a Nonu
Hosea Gear
Daniel Carter
Aaron Smith
Kieran Read
Richie McCaw (c)
Liam Messam
Sam Whitelock
Brodie Retallick
Charlie Faumuina
Keven Mealamu
Tony Woodcock
All Blacks: Andrew Hore, Owen Franks, Luke Romano, Victor Vito, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith.

Interesting choice at 3.

Interesting is not the word I'd use. Educating maybe. This is how NZ build depth of experience in their team so that when injuries come they have fully tested and proven back-ups. Not for them the "select the best till they're broken" nonsense we go on with. Is this the All Blacks disrespecting the jersey? No. Its just good common sense in an age where 15 tests in six months is par for the course. They are developing their depth before the injuries happen, not after.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting is not the word I'd use. Educating maybe. This is how NZ build depth of experience in their team so that when injuries come they have fully tested and proven back-ups. Not for them the "select the best till they're broken" nonsense we go on with. Is this the All Blacks disrespecting the jersey? No. Its just good common sense in an age where 15 tests in six months is par for the course. They are developing their depth before the injuries happen, not after.

I think it depends a lot on the situation. We've played around 40 players this year in tests. That is a huge number and most of those changes have been forced due to injuries.

We've already got 4 and a half forced changes to the 22 from the test two weeks ago against Argentina (I've counted Samo as a half as he has some sort of injury but would have been fit enough to play if required).

It's hard to fit in unforced changes when you've already got that level of disruption to the team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It is a lot easier with an injury free run whilst winning everything, we on the other hand, are giving a shit load on the job training due to endemic injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.