• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So Kafe's cunning tactic from the Rugby Club is to only spin the ball wide to avoid one man's tackling - McCaw. What could go wrong?

It sure was trite. Maybe he did that to avoid exposing better plans to NZ eyes, but I sure thought it was glib, even by his standards.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So Kafe's cunning tactic from the Rugby Club is to only spin the ball wide to avoid one man's tackling - McCaw. What could go wrong?
From listening to Kafe's analysis and the stats supporting his analysis, I took the opposing view. I assumed that Richie was making many more tackles,and being first into contact as a result of the opposition deliberately targeting him.
If he is second or third into contact he can ruin your ball,but it's harder to do that if you are the first defender.
1st defender is normally last off the ground as well, so by running at him, you've made it harder for him to ruin your ball for this and the next breakdown.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I rarely do this because all it achieves is to create an opportunity to look like a goose, but I want to have a go at predicting the score.

If we can hold our end up early (and we might, because of Harris's goal kicking) then we could keep it respectable. But if the ABs come out firing (and I think they will), then this side really has the potential to lose last night's dinner down the back of the undies.

Current record margin is 29pts. I reckon there or thereabouts. Maybe 35-6.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Spiro has completely lost it.

I got an email with today's column from the Roar containing this doozy:

There are a couple of other statistics that have some relevance to Saturday’s night Test which plays at 8 o’clock Queensland time at Suncorp Stadium and 9 o’clock in NSW (the difference is the two-hour daylight savings in Queensland).

And this:
Pendants point to the real record of successive Test victories by Lithuania at 18. But we are talking about top tier rugby nations and consecutive Tests wins here.

The first one has been edited online but the second remains:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/10/1...+theroar/spiro-zavos+(The+Roar+-+Spiro+Zavos)

This is the state of rugby reporting other than on G&GR!

D

dakka

Things don't look great injury wise and we may not have been great in attack recently, but i back this team to take it up to the ab's. The wallabies have shown a lot of resilience over the last few games, and if the bounce of the ball goes their way they could win this one. Wallabies by 3.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Inside Shoulder - They've now fixed up the daylight savings blunder but left pendants.

Doesn't look like there is much proof reading going on at The Roar!

Mispelling pedant is a nice bit of irony.

Reminds me of the time I was reading a CV when we were looking for a receptionist and they said they had great "attention to detail" except for the fact that they spelt attention wrong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
NZ do it differently to us. They plan to have depth at international level. If they can this weekend Vito will get 20-30 minutes of game time. Vito is behind Thompson but he is being given time on the park to develop depth. Cheapening the All Black jersey? Our NZ brothers don't think so. They plan to bring people through so when injury strikes they have match-hardened, experienced back-ups.

I disagree with this. Vito is in the team because the All Blacks consider him their next best. He has been ahead of Thomson for most of the season from an All Blacks perspective.

Lack of planning and failure to develop depth until we are forced to by injury is just not the way to manage the Wallabies in this era where you play 15 tests in about 25 weeks.

If Hanson gets a run tomorrow night he'll be the 12th Wallaby to debut this year in 11 tests. That is a lot. I think we have built far more depth in the last few years than we had before that. If you look at the 12 debutants this year, how many of them should have got a run sooner?

Shipperley, Harris, Morahan, Cummins, Douglas, Tomane, Vuna, Dennis, Hooper, Palmer, Gill, and potentially Hanson all debuted this season.

I would argue that none of these players have really been held back by any length of time. I don't think any of them were absolutely screaming out to play for the Wallabies last year. Dennis was the closest playing for the Wallabies against the Barbarians.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
In the style of the the 2nd USA Presidential debate:

1) I didn't say that
2) I never said that
3) Didn't say that
4) The subject of this sentence is unclear, but I didn't say that.
5) Didn't say that.

That's a record worthy of Fox News! Congrats!

Or the Bart Simpson defence:-
I didn't do it.
You didn't see me do it.
You can't prove a thing.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spiro has completely lost it.

I got an email with today's column from the Roar containing this doozy:
There are a couple of other statistics that have some relevance to Saturday’s night Test which plays at 8 o’clock Queensland time at Suncorp Stadium and 9 o’clock in NSW (the difference is the two-hour daylight savings in Queensland).
And this:
Pendants point to the real record of successive Test victories by Lithuania at 18. But we are talking about top tier rugby nations and consecutive Tests wins here.
The first one has been edited online but the second remains:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/10/19/spiro-wallabies-need-to-play-big-to-match-big-talk/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed: theroar/spiro-zavos (The Roar - Spiro Zavos)

This is the state of rugby reporting other than on G&GR!
Perhaps more to be pitied than made fun of, IS, but what the hell? This man has been masquerading as a journalist for decades which would not concern me if his scribbling was about anything other than our sport.

M

muppet

Can anyone recommend somewhere to watch the Bledisloe in Melbourne tomorrow night (Oct 20)?

Ta
Muppet

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There appeared to be a helluva lot of Kiwis roaming the streets of Brisbane today.

Lets hope it actually feels like a home game tomorrow night.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
There appeared to be a helluva lot of Kiwis roaming the streets of Brisbane today.

Lets hope it actually feels like a home game tomorrow night.
It will be.......for them! Quite a number of NZer's resident in Brisbane these days, and bound to be a busload or three coming up from the GC.

Can someone please report on the volume of the booing when "Äussie Mike" is lining up a kick for goal.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
It will be.for them! Quite a number of NZer's resident in Brisbane these days, and bound to be a busload or three coming up from the GC.

Can someone please report on the volume of the booing when "Äussie Mike" is lining up a kick for goal.

Why would there be? No one over here could give a shit that he plays for Australia. Most don't even have the first idea who he is.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7841383/Trans-Tasman-rivalry-stokes-Bledisloe-tension

Trans-Tasman rivalry stokes Bledisloe tension

Steve Hansen couldn't hide his irritation.
Although there is nothing but pride riding on tonight's test against the Wallabies, the All Blacks coach arched his back in anger following such suggestio
ns.
"It is not a dead rubber. It is a test match," Hansen said through gritted teeth this week.
So the All Blacks, even though they have already locked away the Bledisloe Cup, mean business in Brisbane? Too right they do.
Although they would prefer to stare at the sun for long periods than admit they are thinking about surpassing Lithuania's world record of 18 tests won in a row, the New Zealanders - who have won 16 consecutive matches - would be livid if that sequence is broken. And then there is the personal stuff to take into account.
There remains a feeling the Australians have the ability to get under the All Blacks' skins on a level few other teams, and let's not forget England here, can.
There is some tension between the Anzac neighbours.
Although they have struggled to beat the New Zealanders since Robbie Deans took over in 2008, when they have, the Wallabies have battled to retain any sense of humility.
When they have won, they have whooped, hollered and celebrated as if they are escaped POWs.
All Blacks captain Richie McCaw also revealed in his recently released book that he did not know many Wallabies players on a social level.
That, he stated, was because they were reluctant to share post-match beers.
Unlike other opponents who mingle after games, the Wallabies remain strangers.
McCaw was irritated they snubbed the All Blacks' invite into their changing sheds following the 2010 test in Christchurch, an occasion which coincided with the new Deans Stand witnessing its first international with Deans in charge of the opposition.
And if the Wallabies somehow win tonight, McCaw should brace himself for another hefty dose of the men in gold going off their rockers and, given the situation they are in, they will have some justification.
Although the Wallabies finished second in the Rugby Championship, they have endured a season beset by controversy and a ridiculous injury count.
Deans continues to be forced to raise his shield to fend off the barbs.
Whether it be listening to the wild rants from Quade Cooper or the recent resignation of close ally John O'Neill, Deans has had his distractions.
His injury toll - at last count it was 23 - has been surreal.
But what must frighten Deans the most is that even if the Wallabies play with pride, tenacity and purpose tonight, they could still get smacked.
However, even if much of the usual Australian swagger and bluster has dried up, the Wallabies are not in roll-over mode.
"They are definitely a very good side. Unbeatable . . . no," No 8 Wycliff Palu said of the All Blacks.
And former hooker Brendan Cannon, familiar to many Kiwis for the infamous scrap he had with Keven Mealamu in 2004, has weighed in by urging the Australians to be more confrontational.
"You have got to fight fire with fire. We've been playing too gently against the All Blacks. We have to really rattle their cage, so they don't find their rhythm."
Such fighting talk is fine.
How the bedraggled Australians can convert it into a positive on the scoreboard remains to be seen.
- © Fairfax NZ News

Status
Not open for further replies.