• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 6 Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know how anyone can call the Scotland England game boring, not real rugby fans I guess.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Uhm, may I remind you that I am a Bulls and SA fan. I get very excited watching forwards beat the crap out of each other and I don't mind much fair fairies running around with the ball. Scorelines of 9-3 make me feel fulfilled.

The problem with that game was it had nothing. There was no intensity and the skills execution was horrible. Crap passing, the two worst 10's in world rugby, crap out of hand kicking, no ball protection at the base of the ruck, forwards ruck watching, hesitant backs, no running lines to speak of etc etc

And all that was just the first 5 minutes.

Quite possibly the worst test match I have seen in years.

Reactions: daz

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The game did not have nothing. It was played a decent pace and the battle at the breakdown was brutal, several big collisions in the tackle area and cleanouts. I don't see how you can say it had no intensity, the players would tell you otherwise, they were absolutely on their feet the last 20 minutes and gave it everything, it went back and fourth with no team giving an inch. The skills execution was poor, no doubt about it and as you say the two 10s aren't great at all but I really appreciated the defences of both sides and this caused most of the errors by putting the attacking team under pressure. I can really appreciate the work the Saracens trio did in defence and the cover tackles Scotland's backs put in countless times. The kicking wasn't great but I the breakdown was a fierce tough battle and that really represented a free for all mentality and why it appeared messy at times but that's a great aspect I love in rugby.

The scrums were tightly contested and actually had minimum resets (compare this to the France/Italy game) and the lineouts were perfectly executed. Scotland would have to have the best lineout in the world imo. Richie Gray is a special player.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I didn't see the France Italy game, I did however see England against the Scots, I think all that can be said is that Scotland need to score tries, that is their greatest failing, as for England, I didn't expect too much, but they will get better, this year I think they will look to find their way, I believe Scott Johnson is going as a backs/attack coach for Scotland, if they can learn to attack with a little more purpose then Scotland have the makings of a side.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I didn't think much of the England v Scotland game. Woeful skill execution and it just seemed like there was very little rugby played. Even when teams had attacking opportunities close to the line nobody really looked like scoring, often through poor backline alignment, players taking the ball flat-footed, and yes, admittedly, strong defence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Scotland 6 England 13

This game was full of mistakes from both teams. England scrambled well and were able to cover up the cracks of their boo-boos, but Scotland shipped 14 points from two of them. One was from a charge down kick from 10. Parks just after oranges which England scored from, and another came about 15 minutes later when 7. Rennie threw a pass a step too late with the line wide open.

Some thoughts about the game:

• Scotland had all the stats in number of test caps in the team, rucks won, passes made and a low number of tackles they had to make but they also won the stuff up tally: passes dropped, poor kicks made, chances blown and yarda, yarda.

• England were there for the taking but Scotland's problems scoring tries prevailed. As soon as they got to the England 22 their eyes got wild, the Poms saw the whites of them and held their line. The last time the Scots scored a try against England in Murrayfield was in 2004.

• Aussie Dan Parks had an unhappy game at flyhalf: not only was a kick of his get charged down for points but also many of his other kicks were poorly directed. As soon as others are healthy the predictable Parks should get his discharge papers. Scrummie Cusiter should be benched into the bargain.

• One bright spot for Scotland was a 21 y.o. Zimbabwean born no. 8 with a Scottish mother. David Denton had played off the bench in one RWC warm up game 6 months ago but didn't get on the plane for NZ. One wouldn't have suspected to see a no. 8 better than Picamoles on the weekend but Denton was.

I had seen this lad last year and he didn't raise any interest and when I saw him recently for Edinburgh it was as a 6. But as an 8 against England he was like a old stager knocking folks over whether he had the ball or they did, and running like a demon in the open. This fellow is going to be a star and right up there with Wales 8. Faletau. Scot 7. Rennie had a superb game and ran like a back but spoiled everything with one too late pass.

• The England notters: Robshaw at 7 and Dowson at 8 are not 7s and not 8s, but 6s by type, and they did not compare to the Scots at the breakdown, though they got away with slowing the ball down. Also, like 6. Croft (definitely a 6) they tackled well, and low. Near the end young Ben Morgan came off the bench to play 8 and gave a hint of what he can do. Methinks Morgan and Denton will cross swords many a time in the future.

• 12. Farrell had a top debut for England and kicked most of his goals. He played most of the last quarter at flyhalf when Hodgson went off and one thinks that it won't be the last time he will swap the two positions. Barritt defended well at 13 but when M. Tuilagi is fit I think he will playing next to Farrell to form the youngest midfield of the top 10 nations.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I did, but I'm really pissed so better keep my thoughts untill I have an hr or twos kip, "hic" yeah Georgy boy was immense, the pass out of the back door was sublime, World class is used a little too often these days but, eorge North surely is.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Red for Bradley Davies? Even Gats said it looked like he should have gone - but I reckon Wales deserved it - that last 3 minute march up the pitch from their own 22 to get a field position was magnificent.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Well done Wales. They never gave up and I reckon the margin would have been bigger if more of their kicks had gone over.

Ireland in that game? BAARRF would be a fitting description. Kearney was magic under the high ball mind you.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just back from the game. Congratulations to Wales on the win. Ireland should have closed it out better in the last minute but over the game can't complain about the result. Need a big improvement for the rest of the 6Ns. For the penalty right at the end I was disgusted to hear so many of my fellow Irish supporters booing the whole time the kick was being lined up and struck.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just back from the game. Congratulations to Wales on the win. Ireland should have closed it out better in the last minute but over the game can't complain about the result. Need a big improvement for the rest of the 6Ns. For the penalty right at the end I was disgusted to hear so many of my fellow Irish supporters booing the whole time the kick was being lined up and struck.

A classy post from a man supporting the losing side in controversial circumstances. Rugby needs more supporters like you Bardon.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Considering their injury toll that was a damn solid Welsh performance. And Priestland had possibly his worst test match and they still won.

Ireland went to sleep for patches which cost them.

George North is only 19. That's ridiculous.

I thought the Welsh back row outplayed their Irish counterparts in all aspects of the game. The Oirish will wake up and Welsh will get better. Good luck to the Poms and Scots.

Wales/Frogs and Ireland/Frogs are shaping up to be cracking games.

S

spooony

Scotland had the platform but sadly they lacked the execution. They were too predictable and a experience side was beaten by a inexperience one. Robinson can start singing "We are on a road to nowhere"...... Again.

Ireland Wales was a good match as it went back and forth but some miss kicks cost Ireland in the end but the Welsh discipline was dismal at times and I think its a issue they must address as they wont be so lucky against France and England.

Italy did well to control possession especially in the first half but like Scotland they lack the punch to convert it into scoring opportunities. In the end the Italians started to fade as they starting to tire and the morale started to drop after getting hit by the french despite the lack of ball and territory

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Robbed by a referee again! Not a penalty. Ireland didn't deserve that.
Can't agree, Ireland were piss poor, indeed relative to the quality in the sides their performance was even worse than the Scots. Tactically inept and seriously lacking in ferocity and aggression. A welsh team shorn of huge numbers of players through injury did not have to be anywhere near their best to win that game and the truth be told they should have beaten ireland by more, we were that shocking! The officials had no bearing on the result whatsoever. That said, Blind Dave Pearson should face a serious sanction for his complete failure to inforce the laws of the game; Is someone going to have to be paralysed before these tackles are stamped out? It did not alter the games result and wouldn't have if Davies had been sent off because Ireland were shite but he should have been sent off and he should not play again this season IMO. However I wouldn't be at all surprised if him and Ferris get the same sanction. Congratulations to the Welsh players and management who did fantastically well to cope with all the injuries and I would like to register my disgust at the Landsdown crowds booing of that last kick by halfpenny, respect for the kicker is not a matter of take it or leave it, it was another depressing episode on a fucking depressing day. Only plus point is we can't play any worse although with D'Arcy hiding in the side you can never be sure.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Ireland were trying to slow the play down as much as possible. They used the same tactic against us with much success but they couldn't really do it last night. In a few of those rucks POC and SOB deserved a good stomping from the welsh for their work to slow it down.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Well I've sobered up and should really watch the game again as I was hiding my eyes for many parts of it. As for the Bradly Davies spear tackle, red no doubt about it every one I talked to today has said the same, as for Ferrises, I think it was unlucky, As for the game I thought it was a cracker by both teams, Wales had to stand up to yuor front five or the contest would have been over, they did which helped our backs, a lot of attention was given to Jamie Roberts, which allowed Davies his tries, George North, I'm just glad he's playing for us,:) As for preistland I think he might have still been carrying his injury, left leg was straped which is the leg that supports him when he kicks, not making excuses for him,as he isn't the greatest goal kicker but, he is usually a little better than that.
Very happy with the win considering so many of our pack were out injured, then when Warbs failed to show for the second half, I must admit to having doubts, But the Welsh stuck at it something we have failed to do in the past, three home games and a visit to twickers, looking forward to it.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ireland v wales was a cracker of a match... I love seesaw matches.

I thought both teams played some great rugby, the Irish probably kicking the pill away a little too often though.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It really was a cracker of a match. I brought my brother who I'm slowly turning into a rugby fan and his girlfriend, it was her first rugby match that she's attended and I think in time she'll be a big fan also.

Status
Not open for further replies.