• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 6 Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Can't see how Ireland were robbed. The player was lifted above the horizontal and after the previous card it at least had to be a penalty. Does make it hard not having the ref see infringements like that though and will be very interesting how the changes to ref powers affect the Super XV.
Wales had the majority of the run and prob should have put more points on having blown a few chances. Ireland took all of theirs and a credit too them for going so close after looking out of it for most of the first half.

D

daz

I don't know how anyone can call the Scotland England game boring, not real rugby fans I guess.

Steady on. It is all a matter of perception. You thought is was a thrilling contest, I thought it was an unwatchable snore-fest.

Does that make me less of a fan? Really?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
French team for Saturday's game against Ireland:

France: M Medard; V Clerc, A Rougerie, W Fofana, J Malzieu; F Trinh-Duc D Yachvili; JB Poux, D Szarzewski, N Mas; P Pape, Y Maestri; T Dusautoir, I Harinordoquy, L Picamoles.

Replacements: W Servat, V Debaty, L Nallet, J Bonnaire, M Parra, L Beauxis, M Mermoz.

Changes from the Italy game are Maestri for Nallet, Harinordoquy for Bonnaire, Poux for Debaty & Szarzewski for Servat.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Steady on. It is all a matter of perception. You thought is was a thrilling contest, I thought it was an unwatchable snore-fest.

Does that make me less of a fan? Really?

Well I wouldn't consider any game of rugby an unwatchable snore-fest tbh.. don't see how any rugby fan could if it's still a game of rugby.

In other news Dan Parks has retired from international rugby with immediate effect.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sad way for Parks to go out. From the Guardian...
Scotland's Dan Parks retires from international rugby
• Fly-half's error crucial to England victory in Six Nations
• Greig Laidlaw expected to take Parks's place in Scotland side
Dan-Parks-007.jpg

Dan Parks's error was a decisive moment in Scotland's Six Nations defeat against England. The fly-half has now retired from international rugby. Photograph: Paul Harding/Action Images

The Scotland fly-half Dan Parks has retired from international rugby with immediate effect, the Scottish Rugby Union has announced.

The 33-year-old made his 67th Six Nations Test appearance during the defeat by England and was culpable for the decisive try as Charlie Hodgson charged down his kick.

The Cardiff Blues playmaker, who made his debut in 2004, has now made way for the next generation, with the Edinburgh captain Greig Laidlaw expected to start for Scotland in Sunday's Six Nations fixture against Wales in Cardiff and the uncapped Glasgow Warriors fly-half Duncan Weir set for a place on the replacements' bench.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I was almost excited to see what the poms would put out with all the new personnel, but it looks like they've just replaced like with like. No drop off with the youngsters though I guess....

Frogs are still bloody strong, even when they switch off

Wales v Ireland was just awesome. That Welsh back line has a few years in it, does it not?
As for Ferris, it was at least a penalty - which won the game - so I don't see the fuss. Wales played by far more of the rugby anyway, just without a goal kicker for the most part.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't believe anything above horizontal should be a penalty, a lot depends on how the player is put down since the impact of the ground is what makes the tackle dangerous, not a player being in the air. Ian Evans was put down safely with no harm to his body.

S

spooony

I was almost excited to see what the poms would put out with all the new personnel, but it looks like they've just replaced like with like. No drop off with the youngsters though I guess....

Frogs are still bloody strong, even when they switch off

Wales v Ireland was just awesome. That Welsh back line has a few years in it, does it not?
As for Ferris, it was at least a penalty - which won the game - so I don't see the fuss. Wales played by far more of the rugby anyway, just without a goal kicker for the most part.
Totally agree. For me the Welsh got the best back line in the competition

S

spooony

Both were yellow carded. So thats not punishment enough? Does that mean the ref had to send them off?

Well I wouldn't consider any game of rugby an unwatchable snore-fest tbh.. don't see how any rugby fan could if it's still a game of rugby.
Yes its like dating a ugly woman. We indulge ourselves in alcohol to make them look better cause a woman is still a woman. Same with rugby. If the game is shyt your too sober probably

S

spooony

Have you seen much of Wesley Fofana? when he Rougerie, Malzieu medard etc slide into gear there is going to be carnage, please God it won't happen against Ireland on saturday night!!!
I have seen them play against a avg Italian side if that is what you mean. The French also got the knack to blow hot and cold. I said it before the tournament started and I will say it again Wales got the best back line for me. Also the French forwards need to step up and do better than they did against the Italians especially in the first half otherwise "Fofana" won't see much ball to do anything.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)

Consider and Compare..................Pearson the TJ bottled the card recommendation BUT, Ryan who Davies dumped had illegally shoulder charged
Jones immediately prior and should have been pinged.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think the Wales backs that started against Ireland probably just shade it from France. But one weekend to another in the 6Ns, depending on how the packs perform, a backline can look like world beaters or totally inept or somewhere inbetween the two. One thing is for sure both backlines are choc full of quality.

In terms of personnel I think Ireland aren't far off either Wales or France. But years of Alan Gaffney as backs coach and then the decision not to bring someone in to replace him have left them mainly toothless compared to the cutting edge most of them display while playing for Leinster.

S

spooony

Consider and Compare..................Pearson the TJ bottled the card recommendation BUT, Ryan who Davies dumped had illegally shoulder charged
Jones immediately prior and should have been pinged.
Go over to www.sareferees.co.za and ask the referee there. They have a section for questions like that and lets see what they say. That would settle the dispute I think

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
It was a great match (Ireland v Wales) sadly another game ends with a refereeing decision in the spotlight. Barnes got the final penalty right. The second angle shows a penalty (irregardless of what you think of the Yellow card). However that Yellow card which the touch judge recommended was a farce, the fact he was 5 metres away and didn't have the temerity to make the big call shows how gutless and weak a lot of these referees are. I tell you if Dickinson, Bryce Lawrence and many other people are publicly censured by Paddy O'Brien and that bloke isn't then I think it just shows that something is very wrong at the top. Especially after the Warburton red card in the RWC. I mean this sort of inconsistency really must make the blood boil for so many people. The IRB should be fortunate that it was any team except Wales that committed the tackle. There would have been a Public Relations mess the size of Craig Joubert's ego.

Barnes had a great match, and sadly many will ask; where the hell was he for the RWC?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Barnes was shuffled to the side after an underwhelming performance in the pool stages which included the SA v Wales game where he refused to go to the TMO for the Hook penalty that would have won it for Wales. That and another few gaffs probably put him way down the pecking order for the knock out stages. Generally he's a good ref but he didn't have a good WC.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Davies Had 7 week ban, rather lucky there me thinks, Ferris got off no charge, common sense prevailed. This spear tackling must be stoped, the IRB must clamp down on it now,why not a tmo that the ref can ask to replay it. The difference between Davies tackle and ferrises was plain to see. I think that if an automatic red is given there could be injustices as the ferris tackle showes.
I will also say that Davies isn't a dirty player, he just had a brain fart that was totally out of character.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agree with you on everyhing you posted Dai. Barnes only had the word of his TJ to go on so he can't be blamed for giving a yellow. One thing on the expansion of the role of the TMO is that the quality of the TMOs would have to improve as their role expands. I think top tier Refs who've been retired due to age/fitness should become TMOs.

Judgements were fair and as long as common sense prevails at the hearings instances should be reduced. I think this is just as bad a eye-gouging but the huge difference is gouging is for the most part is intentional while tip-tackles are mostly not intentional. Another big difference is that gouging is rarely spotted by the officials during play and is normally picked up by the citing system. Tip-tackles on the other hand are seen by the officials but those that have to adjudicate on them only have 1 look at the tackle and it wouldn't surprise me if some officials have their own policy of yellow card and let the hearing judge the severity.

Status
Not open for further replies.