• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 RWC - Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, USA, Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Much better second half from the Russians. Once Italy took off Parisse and Massi off things slowed down.

The Russian 7 and 8 (who got man of the match) were brilliant for them, both would cut it in the French Top 14 if they got picked up.

For Italy, their scrum was brilliant, about 4 tightheads. I thought overall they were pretty impressive, and they have a serious chance of beating Ireland. If the Irish don't turn up straight away the Italians have a massive chance of an upset, because I get the feeling the Irish's performance against the Wallabies was a once in 5 years performance.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Funny watching the Russian anthem obviously no one taught Adam Byrnes the anthem he looked a little lost, lol. Hope he plays a good game & give the Irish boyos some niggle.

Will be watching this to see how my Irish Rugby fantasy players go.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
As well as appearing to struggle with the National Anthem, Byrnes has such a baby face in comparison to the hardened look of most of the Russian team members. Not hard to pick the "import".

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
And Adam Byrnes gets stuck in with some niggle as expected, lol. Lift Russia.

EDIT: I know there are a lot of Irish supporters in NZ but I would've thought the Russians being super-minnows would have had a lot more support than what I'm currently hearing through the tellie. I thought the NZ'ers were supposed to be following the underdog, as I keep being told...

EDIT: I'd be happy to be corrected by someone who's actually at the game and has a better idea of the crowd support by the way.

EDIT: Adam Byrnes again, keep it up Adam.

EDIT: Ireland in again, I think he missed the touch line...& he did try to Ireland. 31-0 Ireland over Russia.

EDIT: Ireland in again. HT Ireland 36-0.

EDIT: Fantastic try from Russia! 43-7 to Ireland (Ireland did go in for a try prior)

EDIT: Russia in with another great try, excellent work to stay in the field of play! Losing 43-12 but Russia leading the 2nd half 12-7.

EDIT: Ireland go in, they've lost a bit since SOB went off.

EDIT: 57-12 Ireland, agree with the commentators aswell that O'Gara should be picked over Sexton for the Italy game.

EDIT: Comment on O'Gara backed up by Sexton missing the conversion. 62-12 Ireland over Russia, Russia very good in parts but Ireland too strong.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Itallian scrum destroying the USA, not that I'm surprised, USA have been hanging tough.

EDIT: & was getting close to a penalty try there with what was going on in the scrums, castrogiovani goes in & unlike the 1st time this one is given.

EDIT: Wow some amazing soccer skills from Italy & great continuation of play. USA still gallantly defending.

EDIT: 54min 40sec Italy confident with their scrum & Italy blow it by taking forever. Actually, looking at the replay I dont know what that penalty was for.

EDIT: Italy going for another scrum after demolishing USA's scrum feed.

EDIT: I thought the ball was out there & free for USA to get a hold of but perhaps USA unbinded early, USA have a player in the bin. Great scramble from USA, Italy with a line-out now, lost ground, & USA steal the line-out.

EDIT: USA withstand the siege for now. 62min in.

EDIT: Incredibiliy stupid penalty from USA No. 22 he's saying "you've got to be kidding me" but Wayne Barnes is certain 22 went into the Itallian winger with his knees to the rib area deliberately.

EDIT: Italy over with the maul, cant see the ball on or over the line, I think I could see the ball in the darkness there but very inconclusive, & the try is not given.

EDIT: AND ITALY GET THE 4TH TRY! A penalty try from an incredible scrum, USA no answer to that.

EDIT: Castrogiovanni man of the match, well deserved. And he's coming off. Time 71min 45sec.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Edit: Clancy has lost the plot. Only penalising one team in the ruck, awarding 90 degree against a scrum that went about 50.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Pretty good game, physical, flowing. Worth a watch. Italy need 4 tries so are actually trying to score some.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
And the penalty try from scrums is given. Italy have the bonus point win. Can Australia miss the quarters entirely?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We will be level on points with Italy after this game.

Ireland will be on 13, Italy and Australia on 10.

If we score a bonus point win against Russia we are through regardless.

If Italy beats Ireland and Australia gets a bonus point, we are first, Italy is second and Ireland are out.

If Ireland beats Italy and we win, we are second regardless.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
And the penalty try from scrums is given. Italy have the bonus point win. Can Australia miss the quarters entirely?

I thought Italy winning was good for us?

USA have tried pretty hard, they were certainly found out at the scrum though, good tournament from them though.

EDIT: 80min & thats all she wrote 27-10 to Italy. Cant see Italy beating the Irish based on this form against USA but then again probably thought the same thing about Ireland after they played the USA, so who knows.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Italy winning was good for us?

USA have tried pretty hard, they were certainly found out at the scrum though, good tournament from them though.

EDIT: 80min & thats all she wrote 27-10 to Italy. Cant see Italy beating the Irish based on this form against USA but then again probably thought the same thing about Ireland after they played the USA, so who knows.

Yeah, they can go home feeling relatively proud of there efforts. What they really need to make the next step is introduce a higher level of coaching into their competition structures as that is all they are currently missing. Get that right and then the likes of Italy will really need to look out.

Overall, very encouraging RWC for the likes of the USA, Canada, Georgia and Japan. The next four in my opinion to rise to the level.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
We will be level on points with Italy after this game.

Ireland will be on 13, Italy and Australia on 10.

If we score a bonus point win against Russia we are through regardless.

If Italy beats Ireland and Australia gets a bonus point, we are first, Italy is second and Ireland are out.

If Ireland beats Italy and we win, we are second regardless.

I'm just trying to invent the scenario where we beat Russsia but still miss out. It's something like this:

Italy beat Ireland and get a bonus point (15)
Ireland get a bonus point loss (14) and we fail to get a bonus point against Russia (14)
OR
Ireland get 2 bonus points in their loss to Italy.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
I'm just trying to invent the scenario where we beat Russsia but still miss out. It's something like this:

Italy beat Ireland and get a bonus point (15)
Ireland get a bonus point loss (14) and we fail to get a bonus point against Russia (14)
OR
Ireland get 2 bonus points in their loss to Italy.

For that to happen , Australia have to have an absolute shocker against Russia, Italy and Ireland BOTH have to score 4 tries a piece, and Ireland lose by less than 7.. very unlikely scenario.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
For that to happen , Australia have to have an absolute shocker against Russia, Italy and Ireland BOTH have to score 4 tries a piece, and Ireland lose by less than 7.. very unlikely scenario.

If the unlikely occurs and we're all on 15 points, I think Australia still goes through on the basis of points difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.