• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 RWC - Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, USA, Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tblackadder

Italy should have beaten Ireland in 6N this year. They went ahead with 5 minutes to go with a try, but the conversion missed which enabled ROG to kick a droppie 2 minutes later to win the game. In a later round Italy beat France. This could be a banana skin for Ireland.

I wouldn't have thought that after the last round of 6N because Ireland thrashed England. Then there was the Heineken Cup win by Leinster and the Magners League final between them and Munster. Things looked promising for Ireland rugby and their prospects in the RWC.

Then, just a few months later, came the 4 RWC trials all of which were lost; not only lost, but lost without too many redeeming features to offset their fall in IRB rankings from 4th to 8th.

To make matters worse, the losses produced injuries to Lions flanker David Wallace and to promising fullback Felix Jones. Like Oz, Ireland doesn't have a lot of depth and the loss of Wallace, in particular, is significant.

At least the iconic forward leader, lock POC, proved that he is back to speed. There is still concern about the fitness of 13. BOD as there always is these day. He plays injured a lot and has consequently slowed down a bit but his mind still works fast.

There is probably more concern about his midfield partner 12. D'Arcy. Usually a good defender, he missed a lot of tackles last year.

Another concern is the scrum. Like the Oz scrum, it has improved but, like Oz they are only an injury or two away from mediocrity. The continued health of pot plant THP, Mike Ross, is vital.

Ireland has some expansive backs who will thrive with good front foot ball but there was precious little of that delivered in the trials.

If Oz beats both Italy and Ireland, as the bookies insist, the last pool game between Ireland and Italy will be a knock out match with the winner most probably playing South Africa.

Watch this space.

great summary

which is why it sux that gower is not playing for italy ....

to see italy threaten and secure the odd victory is encouraging and hopefully argentina will do the same after a few years in the quad nations

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ireland v. USA

Ireland: 15. G Murphy; 14. T Bowe, 13. B O'Driscoll, 12. G D'Arcy, 11. K Earls; 10. J Sexton, 9. C Murray.

1. T Court, 2. R Best, 3. M Ross, 4. D O'Callaghan, 5. P O'Connell, 6. S Ferris, 7. J Heaslip, 8. S Jennings.

Replacements: 16. J Flannery, 17. T Buckley, 18. D Ryan, 19. D Leamy, 20. E Reddan, 21. R O'Gara, 22. A Trimble

Folks should not think this is absolutely their best team but most of them will be in it.

Many would point out that Kearney will start in front of Murphy against Oz, but not too many who saw the old stager play for Leicester before his injury, and Kearney for Leinster before his, would disagree strongly. I see Kearney is not even named on the bench. His groin injury must be worst than reported. Surely he won't play against Oz "cold".

12. D'Arcy will probably play in all the big games just to keep the iconic midfield pairing of BOD and him together, but he could be ousted too if he stuffs up defensively against the USA as he has a bit this calendar year.

Winger Earls in in his right spot for later games though he could miss out to Trimble or McFadden - Bowe will be the other wing. Earls was seriously embarrassed in the trial against England playing 13. and not lining up on young M. Tuilagi properly. Sure BOD was having a rest, but McFadden was the logical choice to be his back up there in the squad which was already picked. McFadden is not named on the bench so he could be a designated dirt-tracker in NZ.

10. Sexton was the bright-eyed boy to make a difference in this RWC but he hasn't proved that he can manage a game like ROG can. He could be sitting on the bench against Oz if he doesn't shine in this game.

I didn't expect 9. Murray to get a starting game until they played Russia; so starting him before they play Oz is out of left field. His rise, due the freak accident of TOL at Munster and getting precedence over Stringer in that period - then being picked in the Ireland training squad, and eventually for the trials, and then the RWC squad is a well known fairy tale. Maybe there is another chapter. Watch this space.

1. Healey must still not be right to play and his eye socket injury worse that we thought. He will play in the big games, if fit. Aussie Tom Court starts in this game instead.

As often with many Ireland teams playing away the backrow positions are jumbled. 6. Jennings is in the right spot but won't be starting against Oz. 7. Heaslip is the regular Ireland 8 and 8. Jennings is the Leinster 7. Maybe they have typed the last two out of order, but you never know - it could all be a bit Irish.

I doesn't really matter because O'Brien will be starting so somewhere against Oz. He usually plays 6, sometimes at 8, but since Wallace was cruelly injured in the last trial game he may well play 7 against Oz but pack down at 6 in some attacking scrums to take advantage of his ball running. Look for SOB to be one of the stars of the tournament if his knee comes right - and it's a bit of a concern that he's not even named on the bench yet.

So - against Oz: 7. SOB, 8. Heaslip, but who at 6? Probably Ferris, though 8. Leamy can play there. It's also possible that if Kidney thinks Oz will have their giant 918 kgs pack again that he plays 6/lock D. Ryan instead of the loosies for tight work.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Like the Oz scrum, it has improved but, like Oz they are only an injury or two away from mediocrity. The continued health of pot plant THP, Mike Ross, is vital.

Is Mike Ross really a pot plant? I've picked him for my fantasy team on the back of a recommendation but sadly a lack of pay tv has left me in the dark with many northern players.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He's a pot plant. Won't get a lot of run metres to help out with his stats though he has been known for the short burst near the opponent's goal line. Knows how to prop up a scrum though.

S

sicko'drico

Is Mike Ross really a pot plant? I've picked him for my fantasy team on the back of a recommendation but sadly a lack of pay tv has left me in the dark with many northern players.
well he sorted our srum out 4 the 1st time since we won the slam in 2009 & we definitly dont want him gettin injured(or u) coz we aint got ample cover @ all!! he goes down..we go down..simple as!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The USA played well against Ireland but a 4 day turnaround is tough for a team of mostly amateurs to deal with whereas Russia will come in fresh. The USA should win anyway as they have more experience but you never know: Adam Byrnes couldn't make the starting team; so they may be better than I think.

There is nothing unprecedented about the USA having to play so soon after their previous game in a RWC. Lower ranked teams always get the shitty end of the stick whereas the higher ranked teams get regular longer breaks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking forward to watching this when I get home. I think (and am hoping) it will be an absolute cracker.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Pre game stat: Probability of TV showing more shot of Miss Russia that the number of tries scored by Russia 100%. #RWC2011

USA v Ireland stats to improve missed 1 out of every 7 tackle attempts, 15 lost possessions (inc 4 hand errs 2 scrums 3 lineouts), 12 pens (7@ruck) #RWC2011

Sunuila passed 82% of the time as 1st receiver from set play/recycled ball v Ireland. Paterson 1 from 2, Malifa 1 from 1 #RWC2011

Ref Pearson awarded 22 pen (10@ruck, 8 offside) 98 inside the 22, 4 scrum resets, 3 scrum infrignements #RWC2011

Pearson out of 10 #RWC2011 refs (1 highest) 2nd highest for pens inside 22, 3rd for pens, 3rd for scrum resets

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great start Bears not so great start USA. Also I'm sure the fashion police are on their way to the house/s of the designer/s for the USA & Russian 'outside undies' shorts to arrest them immediately for crimes against design.

3-0 to the Russians.

Russian scrum looks good, USA steal Russian line-out - not bad for the USA in the line-out. 3-3 all.

14min in another great steal at the line-out from USA.

W

wildebeast

The boys from the behind the iron curtain are looking inspired.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Oh I think he may have lost that, hope not it was great work from USA.

Looking at slo-mo that should be a try & it is! 10-3 USA.

20min in great counter ruck from the Bears & then the same done in return by USA.

Oh huge hit!

USA convertion unsuccessful still 10-3 USA 22min in.

Some good defence by Russia 28min in.

Getting closer to HT, USA on top but Russia hanging in there.

W

wildebeast

These 'minor' games are what make the world cup so great, such intense battles and more rugby! I have been guilty of repeatedly clapping and fist pumping already this match. The weather has made for some interesting rugby also.

W

What2040

These 'minor' games are what make the world cup so great, such intense battles and more rugby! I have been guilty of repeatedly clapping and fist pumping already this match. The weather has made for some interesting rugby also.

Jeez the USA side would be scary if rugby got a real hold over there. Big men, fast men everywhere and with a population of about 300 million it wouldn't take much of a hold to eventually field an extremely competitive group of players.

W

wildebeast

'Clever, twisting and writhing. If he was in a rodeo you would ride him.' Has to be the quote of the match thus far.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Concerning Bears 1/2time stats:12 lost possessions/turnovers (inc 3 hand errs) lineouts scrums14 missed tacks, 35% poss, 5 pens #RWC2011
Concerning Eagles 1/2time stats:10 lost possessions/turnovers (inc 5 hand errs) 7 missed tacks, 3 pens #RWC2011
1st half stats are up, www.ruckingoodstats.com. Stick around for the 1/2time stats show for Bears v Eagles, then doing charts #RWC2011
Halftime - 1st 5/8 options kick/run/pass from set piece/recycled ball Kushnarev 5/1/4 Suniula 3/1/14 #RWC2011
Halftime - Tactical kicks from the hand Bears = 12 Eagles = 15 #RWC2011
Time the ball was in play/contestable in the first half was 18:14 mins from refs time of 40:11 mins #RWC2011
Bears inside Eagles 22 in 1st half: broke 2 tackles awarded 1 pens lost 1 rucksfor 1:40 mins
Eagles inside Bears 22 in 1st half: broke 4 tackles awarded 1 pens 1 lineouts lost 1 rucks2 hand errs for 5:19 mins
1st half charts are done and up (charts take longer to create), www.ruckingoodstats.com. More stats to follow #RWC2011
Halftime: If Bears lineout calls predictable, next attacking lineout throw goes front
Halftime: If Eagles lineout calls predictable, next attacking lineout throw goes front
Halftime: Stats Bears will want to continue:5 linebreaks, broke 7 tackles #RWC2011
Halftime: Stats for Eagles will want to continue:8 linebreaks, 5 offloads, broke 14 tackles #RWC2011
40 min: 0 scrums reset so far(time wasted) #RWC2011

Status
Not open for further replies.